PDA

View Full Version : Fall bear opener

604Stalker
09-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Friday night came home kissed the wife and kid packed the cooler threw the bag and rifle in the truck and blasted off to the spot suprised to see so many people at me and my buddys favorite haunt but the neighbours were super cool and really great about sharing advice once they found out that we were the only ones there looking for bears they all let us know whenever they saw a bear well we met up back at camp. I dont know if I slept well or not having lost my mats on the highway I was on the ground with a blanket under me so I could blame that or the stoked. Up feeling but I swear I only slept about 2 hours before my buddy rolled up while I was re packing gear for a good hike.

Opening morning 5:45am were out of camp and hopes were high little late but anyway we glassed for mules all morning but no luck with that so we switched gears and went for yogi. After a day of hard hunting and glassing until it was too dark to see we headed back ate some mountian houses and went to sleep after a chat with the neighbors I was in pretty high sprits for a harvest.

Sunday.. Game day this was it for me for this trip and I knew it would be alot of work to get something over the weekend and with the wind having died down and the good rain storm we knew things would be moving
We spent the morning glassing again and saw some game but no luck on a 4pt so off we went to find our bear. We went back to camp grabbed coffee and a snack and headed back out. Just as we were about to turn off the main to go walk around our spot BOOM BEAR. It was about a click and a half away and we both decided this was our target, his spot so he was up to the plate.. The stalk was on win in our favour we busted dow. The hill across a creek checked the wind one last time and headed up the hill we got to the top and...

itsy bitsy xj
09-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Good end to the story!

604Stalker
09-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Phone died while typing sorry for the delay.

Where's the bear? We start glassing around like crazy looking everywhere and I finally spot our bear almost another click away... Okay game on we start working our way towards the bear again winds working with us. So were pretty confident that we can sneek up the next hill .. We close the gap down to about 300 yards and start making our way up the hill we crawl over the top just a little to high crouched and now the bears looking right at us. We both hit the deck and glass over. The bears laying down nows our chance we get up to move after checking wind a third time we stand up and .. Its looking right at us again we lay back down and wait for about 15minutes with crosshairs now on it were at about 200 yards and waiting for the bear to present a shot still thinking about moving closer but were allready prone and he lets me know if it goes broadside its done I put my crosshairs back on its shoulder and wait.. And wait suddenly the bear turns to its left that was a mistake BOOM buddies 300 barks no need for earplugs because neither of us even heard it bear takes off full speed I quickly re adjust to just infront of its neck but he says hit and I trust him followed it 10 yards with my scope and it laid down.
AWSOME. Now the hard part after a short congratulations we moved up to 100 and after about 15 minutes there we decided it was time to go check it I looked at the time 11:39They talk about bear shrink but we were both suprised at the size of it still a solid 5ft sow. With his knowledge and experience and my extra set of arms it took about an hour or so to have it gutted skinned and halves for gamebags we packed it back to the truck and took off to the camp to go pack up. Said our goodbyes to the neighbours packed the last of our gear and were on the road. Got in by 545 and did our own butchering so by about 11 we had some roasts our backstraps and the rest will be pepperoni and sausage. Will post pics after its all burgered up. Thankyou once again to the neighbors for the advice had a great weekend can't wait to go again.

itsy bitsy xj
09-13-2016, 10:42 PM
proof read????

great story

scotty30-06
09-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Great story.....no matter the spelling ^^^^^great story none the less....congrats for the bear

604Stalker
09-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Ill have my Secretary check the next one just for you xj ;)

caddisguy
09-14-2016, 07:09 AM
Great story and congrats on the bear! Was it a 604bear or a 250bear?? Looking forward to the pics!

604Stalker
09-14-2016, 09:20 AM
250 how did team caddis do for the opener?

caddisguy
09-14-2016, 10:14 AM
250 how did team caddis do for the opener?

Seen a racoon on the drive in on Friday night! lol ... We hunted the 604. First morning I slept in a bit (prior night was the last night of my meds and I only had 4 hours sleeps the two nights prior) ... it was dry and crunchy... noisy too with squirrels, branches/pinecones falling, etc. Had a couple of critters (suspected deer) take off as soon as we entered the timber. Checked a couple cams (cat, blacktail doe, 604 whitetail doe and her 2 fawns, bear) ... saw another deer (sex unidentfied) give us the slip in the timber. caddisgirl had to pack it in about an hour before sunset, and I half-assed the rest of the evening. I think we had too much heat (it hit 34C in the afternoon and we had to hide in the timber on a north facing slope). We had a bear walking around our camp later that night. Seems there's still a couple around... maybe eating rose hips or huckleberries. The next morning we saw a doe, but no sign of a boyfriend. No birds either. It was great to be out though after 3 or 4 weekends stuck at home. We'll be back out this weekend for sure.

Enough about us in your victory thread though. Did you carry out entire halves boned out or with bones? Either way I bet that was quick a bit of a pack out. Field dress, pack out, drive home, butchering at home, packing, freezing... definitely all warrants a cold beverage or two and a 10-12 hour sleep... sore muscles are reminder of success!! Can't wait to see the pics, whether in-field or stacked in the freezer. Hopefully you will get out again soon for a deer or another bear.

604Stalker
09-14-2016, 11:18 AM
We dident take any feild pics as we were both in game mode still. bear was bone in and we concidered a meat pole but wound up hauling out demented santa styles. Rock paper scissors landed me with the bigger half and I brought my bag so it was a bit awkward but nothing too insane probably 50-65 pounds a guy. We haulled it as quickly as possible and were out of there on the highway with it in coolers within about 3 hours of the kill. Goodluck with your next trip Disneyland with the kid will keep me citybound till october now.. Wound sure like to know where those region 2 whities are they would be cool just to see. By the way it was only about 5 hours sleep once I got home and unloaded no rest for the wicked :)