PDA

View Full Version : how late is the moose rut ?

gutpile
09-13-2016, 05:36 PM
How late is the moose rut in region 6 ?

two-feet
09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
I would say it starts around sept 24 in the northern part of region 6, a week or so later in the southern part.

RackStar
09-13-2016, 05:51 PM
last week of sept first week of oct.
going for the full rutt, should be fun

gutpile
09-13-2016, 06:05 PM
There is a general season from Oct 20 the to the 26 would the
Rut be slowing down by then ?

Cyrus
09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
have seen bulls with cows until halloween.

Fella
09-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Had 2 bulls come in to cow calls first week of November last year.

two-feet
09-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Cows will come into estrus a second time if not bred during the first rut, so they say

takla1
09-13-2016, 06:43 PM
I would say it starts around sept 24 in the northern part of region 6, a week or so later in the southern part.

id have to agree with 2ft
Bulls will be dogging cows ive found from about the 20/sept and be on them thick 24th/25th if its cold minus temps a bit earlier.Southern part of reg 6 we would usually get lucky 27th/28th

takla

two-feet
09-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Up north the bios have rut closures in place for some areas from sept 25- oct10. They must have a pretty good idea why

Caribou_lou
09-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Cows will come into estrus a second time if not bred during the first rut, so they say

We have called in many Bulls in the open season. And when there is a hot cow that time of year every bull within a 5km radius is there trying to score!

Cow moose will come into heat ever come into heat every 21 days I believe. Peak of the rut October 3rd. That would put them back into heat the 24th. Smack dab in the middle of open season.

MRP
09-13-2016, 07:41 PM
I know most will think I'm wrong. But the caves are born same time every spring. So the rut or breeding is never early or late.

Caribou_lou
09-15-2016, 06:28 PM
I know most will think I'm wrong. But the caves are born same time every spring. So the rut or breeding is never early or late.

I wouldn't say your wrong. But I also wouldn't say your 100% right. The "majority" of the calves are born around the same time in the spring. Every year I hear of some calves being spotted very early. More than 2 weeks earlier than you would normally see newborns.

monasheemountainman
09-15-2016, 06:30 PM
have seen bulls with cows until halloween.
No you haven't, that was a bull dressed up as a cow, remember?? It's Halloween dum dum

Piperdown
09-16-2016, 07:12 AM
There is a general season from Oct 20 the to the 26 would the
Rut be slowing down by then ?
If you want to see all the island hunters along with every Tom, Dick and Harry in the bush that is a good hunt to go on, an absolute gong show!

XPEIer
09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I have called in several bulls during the Oct 20-26 GOS (avatar pic). Are they in rut,,, I have no idea but they came in close enough.

Xpeier

Arctic Lake
09-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Okay might as well put my 2 cents worth in . Bull moose always came to the cow call when we hunted around P.G. at Thanksgiving . Oh yeah, for a big animal those bulls can be really sneaky coming in sometimes, it's amazing how quiet they can be !
Arctic Lake

gcreek
09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
How late is the moose rut in region 6 ?

When it's over........

Frango
09-16-2016, 11:23 PM
When the rut is for some reason always an issue. As Arctic lake has stated cow call. If you call anytime from the last week of Sept to the 3rd week of Oct you could expect results. Yes they are very sneaky. I use cow scent and always pay attention to wind and I have had small moose and really big moose come in and check out whats going on. A couple have been 40 feet from me before I saw them.Others I have seen running and crashing thru the bush because they made me long before I saw them..Its been awhile since I have hunted until mid Nov but even then cow call. At best it well bring a moose in or at worst it well scare the rabbits. Having said that I have also found a travel route IE a draw between a lake or water course and just sit in a lawn chair ,crack a beer and be quite. It is always about patience.

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Can't say how late the rut runs, but I can tell you for sure it is already running in the last 2 weeks of
September up in the EK.
When the breeding happens????...who cares.....I am talking about "Rutting Activity"...
Bulls harassing cows, coming into calls, scrapping ...etc etc.

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Up north the bios have rut closures in place for some areas from sept 25- oct10. They must have a pretty good idea why

Exactly....

Piperdown
09-17-2016, 06:54 AM
When the rut is for some reason always an issue. As Arctic lake has stated cow call. If you call anytime from the last week of Sept to the 3rd week of Oct you could expect results. Yes they are very sneaky. I use cow scent and always pay attention to wind and I have had small moose and really big moose come in and check out whats going on. A couple have been 40 feet from me before I saw them.Others I have seen running and crashing thru the bush because they made me long before I saw them..Its been awhile since I have hunted until mid Nov but even then cow call. At best it well bring a moose in or at worst it well scare the rabbits. Having said that I have also found a travel route IE a draw between a lake or water course and just sit in a lawn chair ,crack a beer and be quite. It is always about patience.

Crack a beer, seriously!

MRP
09-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Can't say how late the rut runs, but I can tell you for sure it is already running in the last 2 weeks of
September up in the EK.
When the breeding happens????...who cares.....I am talking about "Rutting Activity"...
Bulls harassing cows, coming into calls, scrapping ...etc etc.

I've had bull moose barking and crashing through bush right up to me as early as September 7,as late mid December. The right bull and you doing the right thing any thing is possible.
But I've also watched bulls in the first week of October seemingly completely ignored me even though I'm putting on my best song and dance show.

Frango
09-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Crack a beer, seriously!
Yes indeed .I did not say 6 or get drunk.I said crack a beer and be quite .What is your issue? Although sometimes I like to bring a huge bag of dope 2 bottles of scotch and some hookers..If they can be quite ? That is the tricky part .Finding quite hookers that are willing to sit in the rain or snow usually cost extra.

Piperdown
09-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Read the regs, i suppose you are one of the road hunters that have a beer between their legs while driving. Drinking is for after the hunt. So lets just say that something tragic happens and you have had your beer or two, quilty as charged, no leg to stand on! Good on you for showing the young hunters on the site what are good hunting practices.

Frango
09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Read the regs, i suppose you are one of the road hunters that have a beer between their legs while driving. Drinking is for after the hunt. So lets just say that something tragic happens and you have had your beer or two, quilty as charged, no leg to stand on! Good on you for showing the young hunters on the site what are good hunting practices.
No I am not a beer between my legs road hunter. The comment was meant more as a metaphor than what you are suggesting. Yes there is always a couple waters and A beer in my pack. One never knows when you will find a nice spot to sit and have a beer. One thing you wont find on any of my hunts is a sanctimonious judgmental attitude. That I leave for other people who seem to need it.

Piperdown
09-17-2016, 03:29 PM
No I am not a beer between my legs road hunter. The comment was meant more as a metaphor than what you are suggesting. Yes there is always a couple waters and A beer in my pack. One never knows when you will find a nice spot to sit and have a beer. One thing you wont find on any of my hunts is a sanctimonious judgmental attitude. That I leave for other people who seem to need it.
One last reply then i am done debating with you, so it is ok for you to drink when hunting even though it is worthy of a fine? Then as a metaphor you could say "sit down and enjoy a warm coffee waiting patiently for an animal to appear" also i was not suggesting any thing i took what you said as what you do, you are the one who wrote it!

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 07:43 PM
I've had bull moose barking and crashing through bush right up to me as early as September 7,as late mid December. The right bull and you doing the right thing any thing is possible.
But I've also watched bulls in the first week of October seemingly completely ignored me even though I'm putting on my best song and dance show.

I hear you, the same thing happens with elk too.
Hard to say when the right time is.
1 weekend in Reg 3 hunting Mulies.....I hit it right...never seen anything like it, and you just know the Rut is on.
You can go the following year, same week, and it is as if nothing is happening.
It just depends, but as for the OP, all you can do is hunt the season that is open for you.
Go when it opens, and don't stop til it closes.
Good Luck

Piperdown
09-18-2016, 06:06 AM
I hear you, the same thing happens with elk too.
Hard to say when the right time is.
1 weekend in Reg 3 hunting Mulies.....I hit it right...never seen anything like it, and you just know the Rut is on.
You can go the following year, same week, and it is as if nothing is happening.
It just depends, but as for the OP, all you can do is hunt the season that is open for you.
Go when it opens, and don't stop til it closes.
Good Luck
Great advice, can't shoot them from the couch.