PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Bison Hunting @ Pink Mountian 757 Zone A

lcgoatboy
09-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Looking for any information on bison in the 757A Area.

We were there 2013 and stayed in the blueberry nations cabin. This time we plan on taking a truck camper on a flat deck trailer, and would like to stay inside the gates of the blueberry nation and quad to horse camp. Looking for Phone Numbers for someone who is running the operation there, and costs for extra tags, trespassing fee, helper fee and any other fees. Or should we forget the blueberry nations and go hunt on our own?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, our hunt is Oct 1-15 2016.

Thanks

lcgoatboy
09-23-2016, 08:53 PM
No one with information here?

Anyway its coming up quick, we are leaving Wednesday night, were taking two quads, a truck camper sitting on a flat deck trailer and a customized tent. Picking up a gopro before we go to document our trip. i'll let you know how it goes.

buckshot
09-24-2016, 03:13 AM
Good luck on your hunt. Friends of mine have the same hunt and are staying at the cabins on the ranch.

FsjElkHunter
09-24-2016, 10:07 AM
We seen a ton of bison on mile 171 road just past sikanni. We were grizz hunting. Didn't see much grizz but seen some real monarch bison there.

FsjElkHunter
09-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Sorry that's zone B.... I have heard mile 158 road has alot of bison and huge moose. I haven't been there but a buddy from work has. Says there is a lot in back there and it's zone A. He says there is lots of area to hunt too. That's were I would go.

FsjElkHunter
09-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Shit mile 156 road

Agent Orange
09-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend the ranch. I was up there elk hunting in september 2 years in a row and there were suprisingley few bison. Lots of sign down low, but all the bison we saw (4 in 2 weeks) were way up in the hills. Not the pack out anyone would want. We paid $175 per hunter, $125 for helpers and i believe the bison tag holder fee was $350. Cabins were $100 per night. Guys name was Brian, sorry I don't have the #

kobus
10-04-2016, 02:50 AM
the guy to call is Vern 2502613572 was just up there scouting my draw is for Nov 1st let me know how you make out

IslandPanda
10-17-2016, 09:31 AM
I have that same draw for Nov 16-30! Good luck on your hunt! :)

kobus
10-22-2016, 10:20 AM
i am headed up at the same time do you still need info can call me 250 7201269

edd
11-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Hunting for bison was a blast...everyone got their bison...we got 2...yahooooo....first time up at pink mountain. ..it was a great adventure..

Steelpulse
11-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen is the tag line around here I think haha. Awesome

Rampager
11-08-2016, 08:44 PM
I also have this draw and am staying at the ranch, maybe see you out there! Good luck!

Does anybody feel like sharing some details of their experience this year?

I have that same draw for Nov 16-30! Good luck on your hunt! :)

nedarb2
11-10-2016, 11:28 PM
What the weather like in the back country? Any snow sticking around?

srupp
11-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Hunting for bison was a blast...everyone got their bison...we got 2...yahooooo....first time up at pink mountain. ..it was a great adventure..

Congrads Latinos. ..well done..would also love to see some photos. ..just jealous...
Cheers
Srupp

edd
11-24-2016, 04:10 PM
We had a blast hunting bison.we got 2 bison...11 yr bull 8yr old cow...everyone else got bison too ..weather was great 14 inches of snow..minus 6c...lots of grizzly bears too...the hunters we met were all very friendly and helpful...vern was great very helpful...stayed on the blueberry ranch in my camper...both bison were shot well over 1 km up the mountain ....very tastey meat tender too...i hope I don't have to wait another year 22 yrs to get drawn again.
Both bison were shot with Weatherby 338 ...one shot each...one the heart..other one behind the ear...the bull had already been shot earlier the wound had healed overy left bare patch of skin with round hole scar in the center. ...the cow had been attacked by a grizzly...I would post some pics but can not seem to get them on here..7-57 b....

JLsteel
11-24-2016, 04:54 PM
We were up there in November as well. We got 2 and so did every other camp. Hunted B side. Amazing place

afors
11-24-2016, 11:11 PM
edd, When were you up there? I am leaving next week for my hunt... Looking for conditions..

Rampager
11-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Well I thought I'd do a quick hunt update before I get home and can post a full story. Our tag was for Nov 15-30 and we stayed on the ranch for the week we were there. Vern is a great guy and I would recommend either staying on the ranch or If you are comfortable with your own accommodations then using their access. The way I see it is the bison draw is a rare draw for an amazing animal so why not set yourself up for success the best you can! We had one tag for 4 people (must have been the last one available when we were drawn), and on our last day we filled the tag with a 5yr old bull. We spotted 3 bison about 2km back off the road around horse camp, marked their location on the gps and walked in, thankfully an hour later they were still there! We saw our bull before the other 2 and didn't hesitate, 3 shots from my buddy's 175gr 7mm rem mag into the boiler room at 20 yards put it down. He went about 50 feet total in 10 seconds before piling over. That was a pack out I tell ya, quarters, head, hide, loins, straps, the rest of the bits and pieces... I'm glad we had 4 guys! Overall we saw 6 bison in 6 days, lots of elk, a few deer (took a 3pt whitetail buck too), and every day was between -10 and -20 so the cold was definitely a challenge. I know I'll be putting in for this draw again next year, maybe in October though haha.

xfactor
11-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Congrats to all!! Our draw is for zone B jan 1-15...keep the stories coming!!

edd
11-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Oct 16 to 31 weather was good...you need a quad or snowmobile...we saw hundreds of bison but not standing on the road..you gotta go up to get them in october

hunter34
11-27-2016, 11:10 PM
How much was the fee to go through the ranch this year?

archer42
11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
How much was the fee to go through the ranch this year?

We paid $175 for hunter and $125/ helper. And $120/ night for a cabin. 2 bison in the freezer so well worth it :)

nedarb2
11-28-2016, 12:12 PM
keep the reports coming! heading in Dec 18th :-P

PGFullMonty
11-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Well I thought I'd do a quick hunt update before I get home and can post a full story. Our tag was for Nov 15-30 and we stayed on the ranch for the week we were there. Vern is a great guy and I would recommend either staying on the ranch or If you are comfortable with your own accommodations then using their access. The way I see it is the bison draw is a rare draw for an amazing animal so why not set yourself up for success the best you can! We had one tag for 4 people (must have been the last one available when we were drawn), and on our last day we filled the tag with a 5yr old bull. We spotted 3 bison about 2km back off the road around horse camp, marked their location on the gps and walked in, thankfully an hour later they were still there! We saw our bull before the other 2 and didn't hesitate, 3 shots from my buddy's 175gr 7mm rem mag into the boiler room at 20 yards put it down. He went about 50 feet total in 10 seconds before piling over. That was a pack out I tell ya, quarters, head, hide, loins, straps, the rest of the bits and pieces... I'm glad we had 4 guys! Overall we saw 6 bison in 6 days, lots of elk, a few deer (took a 3pt whitetail buck too), and every day was between -10 and -20 so the cold was definitely a challenge. I know I'll be putting in for this draw again next year, maybe in October though haha.

Hey Rampager...How much snow? We are taking sleds and Quads to be on the safe side, but just curious!! Hoping to use sleds!!! Thanks

twoSevenO
11-29-2016, 11:46 PM
can someone explain to a non-bison hunter what these fees are. What is this "ranch fee" you all speak of. Is the bison LEH concentrated in one particular area and the only access to it is through some private land and the land owner charges a toll? I imagine all the hunting is done on public land, right?

Bear Chaser
11-30-2016, 05:08 AM
Trespass fees giving the permission to access the Halfway River Valley by crossing through private property. Perfectly legal and a viable option for many. There is a trail around that depending on the time of year and snow level is usable by ATVS. One can also access the same area using a skidoo if the snow levels are sufficient by using different trails and crossing rivers.
Other fees would include the use of privately owned cabins on said property.

Squamch
11-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Is the ATV trail weight limited?

Bear Chaser
11-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Side by sides can be used as far as Horse Camp. After that it is weight limited to 500 kg until the sulphur Creek crossing which is the end of the trail for ATVS.

afors
12-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Just spent a week up there and two of us filled both tags (lots of hiking and tracking). We used our sleds the whole time with no problem, the road is hard packed all the way out into the valley. The weather got extremely cold, -33 so be prepared to deal with all that brings. We stayed at the ranch too, it sure was nice to have a cabin with a fireplace to come back to after a cold ride back!!
Shoot me a PM if you are headed up and have any questions!

xfactor
12-12-2016, 12:40 AM
Afors. You gotta have pics?!?

afors
12-17-2016, 09:28 AM
trying to get time to post a story, here's pic. Let's see some others that are out there... seems people are shy to share.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/aforstbauer/IMG_5861%202_zpsjgjijl9s.png

xfactor
12-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Great pic! Thanks for sharing.

hunter34
12-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Leaving on the 31st to pink mountain. Anyone know how much snow is up there?

Thanks

afors
12-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Leaving on the 31st to pink mountain. Anyone know how much snow is up there?

Thanks

You're Probably on the road but I heard they had 6+ inches last week...
When we were up (Dec 1-10) the trail was hard packed and icy. In the hills it varied - a couple inches to a few feet depending on the cover and which side of the mountain we were on.
Good hunting!