PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the grouse?

lank1234
09-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I hunt in the Okanagan, mostly behind Kelowna. Drove around and hiked all my usual grouse producing roads/trails for a few hours yesterday and a few hours today. I only managed to see 1 grouse in that time frame and it took off into the thick before I could get a shot. Have any of you noticed a decline in grouse numbers in your area or is it just me? I know that Kelowna had quite a wet summer so maybe that has something to do with it as I know rainy June's affect populations.

Cheers

albravo2
09-11-2016, 09:13 PM
I've seen one in Squamish area but I've only been in habitat for about an hour since yesterday.

I bought a bunch of tags (blues and spruce), they'd better not go unfilled this year.

russm
09-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Theres one in my fridge :)

dmaxtech
09-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Saw 7 last Monday in 8-5 with my son. He missed and they all flushed and disappeared. We'll get them next time.

gmachine19
09-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Shot 4 for dinner tonight in region 8

On my two feet
09-11-2016, 09:28 PM
maybe I'm wrong but I thought the regulations stated no specie's liscene required for upland game?

albravo2
09-11-2016, 09:32 PM
maybe I'm wrong but I thought the regulations stated no specie's liscene required for upland game?

Way back in the day, when I was a kid, we didn't need tags for grouse. But I didn't have a PAL either. Or a hunting license, come to think about it. Hell, I didn't even have a trapper's permit for those rabbits I snared.

Those were the days...

gmachine19
09-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Pls dont let this be the start of another grouse tag thread...

Rhyno
09-12-2016, 06:31 AM

Its a joke from another thread....search "grouse tags" :-D

Fella
09-12-2016, 06:42 AM
I've seen one in Squamish area but I've only been in habitat for about an hour since yesterday.

I bought a bunch of tags (blues and spruce), they'd better not go unfilled this year.
I had to buy mine from a homeless man in an alley because Island Outfitters claimed they didn't receive any this year. I say they're just hoarding them for their employees.

caddisguy
09-12-2016, 06:56 AM
The last two years were excellent for grouse in my Region 2 spots. The year prior to that, as well as this year, they seem to be few and far between. It was pretty wet throughout the spring and early summer which might have something to do with it... either that or it's just a normal cycle. I know of one pocket with a half dozen or so, but it's in one of my deer spots so they get a pass, at least until I get frusterated.

Darn shame though as I bought a new 12ga just so I could hunt BT's and grouse with the same gun.

caddisguy
09-12-2016, 07:06 AM
I had to buy mine from a homeless man in an alley because Island Outfitters claimed they didn't receive any this year. I say they're just hoarding them for their employees.

I think the travel agencies bought them all up along with the provincial campsites, so now you need to buy a flight, rent an RV to get the campsite and grouse tag. I had to fly out to Toronto, just to fly back to YVR, stay in a hotel for a night, rent an RV and boat and they threw in the campsite and grouse tag.

ElliotMoose
09-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Im seeing a ton this year.. Saw a bunch in the EK over the weekend and over a dozen the weekend before in the cariboo

Stone Sheep Steve
09-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Last year was one of the best grouse years in a long time. Hard to believe the carry over isn't very good. Having said that, I think I've only seen 2 in the last two weeks.

BowRunner
09-12-2016, 07:58 AM
I saw half a dozen in Region 3 one morning.

Krico
09-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Was out twice so far. One morning, one evening. Morning hunt with my son we saw 7 ruffies, the young lad managed to get just one. Evening hunt, not a single bird. Sure did see a lot of hares though.

russm
09-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Quite a few out in region 3, lots of food still around for them.

J-Man
09-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Had no luck in 3-31, we were out in our usual spots typically 3 guys limited out easy each morning and would still see more last year. This year only saw 2 in two days. Last year was the best year in a long while, but even the bad years produced in these spots. Wet winter I think didn't help. Tons of food out, seen the usual deer and almost had a bear.

Lastcar
09-12-2016, 10:25 AM
3-19 has been good. There was quite a few leading up to this weekend. We see a bunch everytime we were busting through bush to find hares. Plenty of both.

Only put in 45 minutes Saturday around 4:30 to break up the monotony of glassing for hours on end. Managed to bink three. Heard some more flush, never saw them. Had a couple flush and watched them head off to a land far far away. Or at least further than I was willing to pursue them.

After seeing one buzz by at quite the speed I googled it and sure enough, they can flush up to 150 yards and with some speed. I am used to the flush 10 yards and stare at us move.

Kids love that one. "It flew right there! What is it thinking?" After I have to show them where over half them are in a tree. I explain what it is thinking is it hard to find in a tree and hoping we'll move along. "But is is right there!" again after I have shown them.

Can't wait until they have to find them and shoot them themselves. I am going to sit back and say now who is the fool? You or the bird? ;-)

Both the kids and I learn something every time we go out. Luckily for them they are started this at 8 and 9. Not 38 like me.

HarryToolips
09-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm not seeing as many as last year but I'm seeing em...

rocksteady
09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Not a biologist but have been told wet springs impact the broods big time as they are susceptible to pneumonia

Outbound
09-12-2016, 06:13 PM
I've only seen one in the Tumbler Ridge area on the road I travel to one of my fishing spots. It's usually good for seeing a couple each way on each trip. I've only seen the one this year, but have only been out once as well.

Usually lots of rabbits too, but haven't seen any at all.

I've been meaning to see if it's possible for me to get an out of province licence for BC to hunt upland birds and coyote. It'd be nice to toss a rifle or shotgun in the cab during my fall fishing trips.

hoochie
09-12-2016, 07:24 PM
got 5 grouse and a hare this weekend. Another guy I know got 6 over the weekend
seems like a good start to me....

Buckmeister
09-12-2016, 08:19 PM
They all flew over to reg 8! I've been in the hills three times this season and seen lots of grouse. I bagged 4 yesterday but saw over 15 total, a mix of blues and ruffys.

Last year was great to, but I never had a .22 or .410 with me so I missed out on a whack of em. I can't wait to get more.

dak0ta
09-12-2016, 08:28 PM
You know guys, all this bragging ain't true unless there's pictures to back them up.... :)

lank1234
09-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Went out again in region 8 in a different area than i normally do. Walked/drove for 3 hours and saw a single grouse that took off before I could get out of the cab. Looks like ill have to deal with less baked grouse this season.

Mulehahn
09-14-2016, 09:46 PM
I am in PG for the week. Seen quite a few in the couple dhort trips I made close to town. Unfortunately I only have my bow anf they have been hunted hard. They take to the wing immediately and head to the dense stuff.

ddbeattie32@gmail.com
09-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Seen a couple dozen north of chetwynd.

1/2 slam
09-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Not a biologist but have been told wet springs impact the broods big time as they are susceptible to pneumonia

You are correct and june is very important. Dry June equals chick survival which equals a good fall. June was not that good in a lot of areas this year.

Gateholio
09-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Saw grouse all summer, I bought 10 grouse tags and intend to fill them all!!!

Gateholio
09-15-2016, 12:04 AM
After the latest grouse threads, I'm Just making sure everyone is aware of the new grouse tag regulations.....They should be online for 2017 but in 2016 you still need to get them at the Service BC or the gun shops

NEWS RELEASE Draft Version 1.2.1
2016ENV0106-001715
Ministry of Environment
Effective September 1st 2016:
Due to conservation concerns for the following species and sub-species of grouse, the British Columbia Ministry of Environment, Fish and Wildlife Branch, will initiate a Trial Program in the Fall of 2016 involving the requirement of Hunting License Holders to purchase grouse tags for all species of grouse legally hunted in BC.
Species of Concern:
BLUE GROUSE
(Dendragapus obscurus)
SOOTY GROUSE
(Dendragapus fuliginosus)
DUSKY GROUSE
(Tetrao Obscurus, Say.)
SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, Linn.
[Tympanuchus phasianellus.]
British Columbians have an important global responsibility to ensure the continued existence of these valuable game birds.
The road to recovery of BC’s populations, however, is not easy.We need to implement realistic approaches that address the current relationship between grouse sub-species, and land use practices. This in turn must be incorporated into long term plans and activities geared towards conservation and recovery at the landscape level.To achieve this requires the co-operative efforts of provincial governments, ranchers, hunters, First Nations and the range management community.Together,w e must develop and implement ecologically and economically sustainable range management practices that incorporate the needs of this and other grass-land species regardless of political and demographic boundaries.
Due to the impracticality of requiring tags for strictly the species at risk, the MOE has determined that tags will be required for all species, and the funds collected will go directly to research programs, controlled burns in areas where indicated, and subsidies to Grazing Lease holders to improve food and cover for species at risk,and where necessary, remove their cattle from sensitive areas.
Preliminary Bag Limits will be as follows:
(Subject to change at any time. it is your responsibility to check for updates on the MOE website. ANY CHANGES TO THESE FEES AND BAG LIMITS will be posted to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ )
Ruffed Grouse: No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.
Spruce (Franklins): No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.
Blue Grouse (Sub-Species Sooty and Dusky Grouse): 12 per Calendar Year.
Sharp-Tailed Grouse: 6 per Calendar Year
Tag Fees will be as follows:
Ruffed and Spruce grouse: $1.25 per tag.
Blue grouse (all species): $1.85 per tag.
Sharp-Tailed grouse: $2.15 per tag.
All prices subject to GST.
All proceeds to go to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund: Upland Gamebird Habitat Enhancement Project.
Tags will be self-adhesive stickers, which must be affixed to one of the legs of the bird immediately on retrieval, or around one wing if legs have been removed.At least ONE wing must be left attached to the breast, and tagged.
It is an offense to remove the tag until you are at your normal dwelling place (this will be extended to include hunt camps for this application), meat cutter, or taxidermist.
Tags will be available in August 2016 at all normal retailers of hunting licenses and tags.

J_06
09-15-2016, 12:54 AM
You are correct and june is very important. Dry June equals chick survival which equals a good fall. June was not that good in a lot of areas this year. In large part due to their food source not (insects) getting a good foothold, weaker birds are more succeptable to any disease. Pneumonia doesn't come from cold wet temperatures, only a virus or bacteria. June was very wet around here aswell yet the birds seem to be in good shape.

J_06
09-15-2016, 12:58 AM
You know guys, all this bragging ain't true unless there's pictures to back them up.... :)

1 for 6 opening day.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2yoz7ls.jpg

RackStar
09-15-2016, 05:53 AM
i saw a BIIIG blue grouse on the weekend, only had a spruce tag though.
i went and got a couple blue grouse tags, i really hope to see a nice blue again, he was big

Boner
09-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Holy, what a runaround. I took my grouse to the butchers this weekend. I didn't have a tag, you would have thought it was the end of the world. Butcher called the CO on me. I had to wait there for the CO to show up. He made me surrender my grouse and got a two hour talking to and a warning not to hunt grouse without tags from now on. :(

J_T
09-15-2016, 06:21 AM
In areas I'm hunting I'm seeing a normal number of grouse. Being a trophy hunter, I would only ever buy a tag for a Blue Grouse. I'm not really worried about the meat, but the sooty and dusky's taste just like that, like ashes and dirt. Not worth the effort.

BowRunner
09-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Pls dont let this be the start of another grouse tag thread...

x2. That got old last time.

itsy bitsy xj
09-15-2016, 10:08 AM
x2. That got old last time.

Yep not sure why some have to try and keep that going

Gateholio
09-15-2016, 02:48 PM
It's tradition. :)

.264winmag
09-15-2016, 02:54 PM
1 for 6 opening day.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2yoz7ls.jpg
If thats a gooey its the nicest one Ive ever seen!

rocksteady
09-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Got my limit last night with the.22, all in one flock. All in the middle of the road.. Looked like the beaches ofNormandy, carcasses everywhere..,

caddisguy
09-15-2016, 04:35 PM
i saw a BIIIG blue grouse on the weekend, only had a spruce tag though.
i went and got a couple blue grouse tags, i really hope to see a nice blue again, he was big

You have to wait 72 hours before it becomes valid

Boner
09-15-2016, 05:41 PM
In areas I'm hunting I'm seeing a normal number of grouse. Being a trophy hunter, I would only ever buy a tag for a Blue Grouse. I'm not really worried about the meat, but the sooty and dusky's taste just like that, like ashes and dirt. Not worth the effort.

You trophy grouse hunters give us all a bad name. I heard you guys shoot them in the hind quarters so you can get the head and shoulders mounted at the taxidermist.

dasnake
09-15-2016, 09:31 PM
My son has a home at likely, they were there last long weekend, he saw half a dozen but the scope for his. 22 let him down, but he said they looked great and were like little turkeys.

Cbrad
09-17-2016, 01:00 PM
We have seen a steady decline in 3-30 and 3-31. We got a bunch in region 8 at the youth hunt. A little concerning.

Ohwildwon
09-18-2016, 05:21 PM
I got caught with out tags, couldn't afford the fine so spent 2 days in jail...

J-Man
09-26-2016, 07:12 PM
We have seen a steady decline in 3-30 and 3-31. We got a bunch in region 8 at the youth hunt. A little concerning.

Yea noticed the same, 3-30/31 were all singles opening weekend. Reg 8 even this last weekend was groups of 2 to 5 still.

HarryToolips
09-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Seeing lots in region 9.......

scoutlt1
09-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Seeing lots in region 9.......

Did you accidentally park in AB again? ;)

bmynbr
10-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Was in 8-03 last weekend, and I saw probably 40-50. Didn't have the .22 with me though.

russm
10-05-2016, 10:16 PM
I got my limit last weekend, one of them was a big blue grouse, a first for me, I was in region 3.

Leaseman
10-06-2016, 06:08 AM
I see more deer than grouse where I go in western areas of 8......:roll:

tomahawk
10-06-2016, 06:30 AM
Grouse everywhere in the PG area where we were moose hunting. See at least a dozen a day.

samwyse
10-17-2016, 05:17 PM
You are correct and june is very important. Dry June equals chick survival which equals a good fall. June was not that good in a lot of areas this year.

Summer was pretty humid all the way throughout and then we went into a very humid september. I was catching baby rabbits by hand on the farm and noticed a lot of them had parasitic fly larvae that correlate to high-humidity... Possible that humidity elevates avian parasites/disease conditions?

caddisguy
10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
I am seeing more birds in my Region 2 spots the last couple of weeks... 7 or so just driving to and from my deer spot. I guess with the weather turning they are feeding more aggressively (mushrooms?) and filling their crops with pebbles from the roads. I whacked one on my way to camp on Friday to have with dinner. Oddly I have been seeing more during early to mid afternoon in pouring rain than morning and evening or during sunny breaks.

caddisguy
10-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Summer was pretty humid all the way throughout and then we went into a very humid september. I was catching baby rabbits by hand on the farm and noticed a lot of them had parasitic fly larvae that correlate to high-humidity... Possible that humidity elevates avian parasites/disease conditions?

I have read pneumonia is what kills the cheepers off. I am not a microbiologist, but I am guessing the cause is bacterial or fungal in nature coupled with lowered immune function. Still a lot more birds out now than I would have thought by judging the spring/summer numbers. Hopefully I'll run into more this weekend.

dmaxtech
10-18-2016, 07:05 PM
I've seen more grouse than deer this year in 3 and 8. Passed on a lot of them because I was over gunned. Don't think it's reasonable to take a grouse with a 30-06.

hoochie
10-20-2016, 06:53 PM
There were so many grouse this year, I stopped shooting them. we ate grouse every night for a week. got tired of them. too much of a good thing!