PDA

View Full Version : First day out

Kelsosloth
09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
First time hunter here letting you know how my day went. after searching the forums and learning that you guys really don't enjoy the "where should I go for "this or that" type of questions. I had picked an area which I thought to be good hiking in the alpine. I brought my 22lr with me just in case I came across some small game. Being a new hunting I figured small game would be a good intro into the world of hunting.
After an hour or more of hiking up I found myself facing a grouse standing in the middle of the trail staring at me. I was in full excitement maybe even panic with my heart racing. I shot at the bird and missed. Lucky they don't move ? So I learned today. I took the time to slow it down calm down get in a better shooting position and take the shot.
Now here's the thing I didn't know would happen. The overwelming feeling of how I was responsible for this bird now. There was no turning back I couldn't undo what I had just done.
I had watched some videos on breasting birds the night before so I had an idea of what to do and was happy I was able to execute.
tonights dinner was cast iron seared bird with onions and garlic finished in the oven. It was an amazing first time. I'm hooked.
also when one grouse is down is it common that another runs in to check it out?

604redneck
09-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Congratulations on a successful hunt

Piperdown
09-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Well done you are hooked for life, and grouse hunting never gets old.

Cyrus
09-11-2016, 05:40 PM
at least you did not get grouse fever and got it together your second shot!! At least you kept it competitive using a 22....shotguns are for cheaters.

caddisguy
09-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Congrats on the birdie! It took me some time before I was able to close a deal with the 22. First time out in some place with lots of grouse, the scope got hosed somehow and was full of condensation when I needed it so I ended up using my friends 410. Like you I had seen vids, but my it was the same friend who showed me how to turn those grouse inside out.

Then for local trips, whenever I left the 22 at home I'd come across dumb (or smart) grouse that I could "almost" get within effective rock throwing range. They knew I wouldn't use the 30-06. When I did bring the 22, I'd rarely see grouse and the ones I did see, I'd be lucky to get a scope on them before they flushed.

This weekend I decided to bring out the 12 gauge I bought back in December for the first time. Never shot it before so I thought I'd break it in. Not a bird to be seen though. Last couple years were great in my Region 2 spot, but only seen a few since Spring. Only ones I know of are in a spot that I still hunt for deer, so they get a pass.

Glad your trip was successful! You achieved what you set out to do!! Enjoy that dinner. Would be nice to see a picture of the grouse from the field and another on your plate if you have em. Well done!

Kelsosloth
09-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Turned them inside out! Interesting.
i went in a couple region 2 spots last week with my bow and there was no signs or sounds of any. Today there wasn't any sounds either just got lucky. I feel like the higher I hiked the more of a chance I was giving myself. I didn't take any photos of the dinner. I'm skeptical of posting any photos of a hunt. A guy recently got eaten alive on a hunt Bc facebook group over a 1 inch tine people couldn't see in a photo. Also the anti's might be out there waiting to troll me lol

buckshot
09-11-2016, 06:30 PM
No pictures, it never happened. Just kidding. Grouse, my favorite game.

one-shot-wonder
09-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Congrats on your first successful hunt. Bird hunting is very rewarding, now to get yourself a dog ;)

monasheemountainman
09-11-2016, 07:13 PM
yeah chicken hunting is pimp! Way to go

HarryToolips
09-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Way to go, calming yourself down for the shot ain't easy at first but it gets easier, wait til your first deer...just an FYI, most people when stepping on the wings and pulling on the feet to get the breast of a grouse don't also take the good meat from the top of the legs - try it if you haven't already, and there is also part of the gizzard that is very delicious...

IslandBC
09-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on your first hunt and good job with realizing your mistake and slowing it down and being patient with your fallow up shot. My only advice is to never rush your shots and to be 100% comfortable . The feeling of wounding an animal because of a crappy shot is horrible.

kennyj
09-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Congrats on your first kill!
kenny

tuner
09-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Well done, probably the most satisfying meal you've ever prepared or eaten.

Buckmeister
09-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Congrats!!! Grouse are fun to hunt. I bagged 4 ruffys myself today and had many more flush out on me unexpectedly. I saw at least 15 grouse today. But when I got up higher I found a brood of Blues!! Nice big birds. They were a little farther away in a slash hanging around an old burn pile. I missed one a few times. But I was positive I had hit another. But when I walked up to retrieve it, it was gone! Either I missed it or these bigger birds can take a .22 and run.
Took the ruffys home, diced them up into cubes, added flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, chili powder, sesame oil for taste, and fried them in a covered wok with olive oil and white cooking wine. Turned out nice and tender and very tasty.

Kelsosloth
09-11-2016, 08:38 PM
That sounds like a good meal. I was surprised with how big the bird was that I got.