PDA

View Full Version : Fly in for sheep and elk

peterb
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Has anyone ever flown in for sheep and elk, l was wondering if there are any spots out there someone could suggest. l would like to plan a hunt for 2008.
Pete

Maxx
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Why Fly? Try Riverjet,

hunter1947
06-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I would suggest the Tchodi lakes area. You can fly in from Fort Nelson.

tangozulu
06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Peterb
Before headin North, check with an air charter company and make sure they will fly you where you wanna go. (get it in writing) The local Outfitters will have put the sqeeze on most pilots to keep you out. Don't be dissapointed, and good luck.
tz

x
I would suggest the Tchodi lakes area. You can fly in from Fort Nelson.

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Peterb
Before headin North, check with an air charter company and make sure they will fly you where you wanna go. (get it in writing) The local Outfitters will have put the sqeeze on most pilots to keep you out. Don't be dissapointed, and good luck.
tz

Of course check with the varying air charters about areas, but if they say yes to an area, and take a deposit, they have a contractual obligation to fulfill their end.

Outfitters cant afford to pay charter companies enough to entirely restrict public access.

tuchodi
06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Flying right into Tuchodi Lakes would not be to productive as the guide hunts that area hard and you would have to walk quite aways to get into good hunting. Try contacting Guy Scott one of the site's sponsers to be taken either up the Muskwa or Tuchodi, a lot better chance at getting an elk or sheep and I am sure not as expensive. Lots of people on this site have used Guy and have been very pleased, many have gone more than once with him which say's alot.

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Although I have never used Guy's service, I will be in the future. I was planning on it this year, but have booked a fly in hunt. Ill likely use Guy's riverboat service next year - he knows the areas and will put you in the right spot to find game.

Guy has prices on his web page and is a good guy to deal with:

http://www.riverjetadventures.com/

358mag
06-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Although I have never used Guy's service, I will be in the future. I was planning on it this year, but have booked a fly in hunt. Ill likely use Guy's riverboat service next year - he knows the areas and will put you in the right spot to find game.

Guy has prices on his web page and is a good guy to deal with:

http://www.riverjetadventures.com/
better double check heard that Guy Scott has sold his riverboat company

boxhitch
06-24-2007, 07:08 PM
better double check heard that Guy Scott has sold his riverboat company
Thats ok, as long as the map-handouts go to the new owner also.

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 07:10 PM
No, guy has not. I spoke with guy the other day, unless he figured that wasnt something to mention.

BlacktailStalker
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I find it weird the cost for a sheep drop off is $1700 with no check in during your hunt and for elk/moose etc its only $1200 and they DO come check in. Obviously therer is a higher operating cost to returning to check on you than just drop you off and pick you up. There's something wrong with that.

boxhitch
06-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Maybe a case of 'all things being equal'. If the flight is to the exact same lake, then there should be no diffe$ence. Often moose can be had alot closer to the highway, though.

Dirty
06-24-2007, 10:16 PM
I find it weird the cost for a sheep drop off is $1700 with no check in during your hunt and for elk/moose etc its only $1200 and they DO come check in. Obviously therer is a higher operating cost to returning to check on you than just drop you off and pick you up. There's something wrong with that.

The reason sheep is more expensive is due to the access issues with drop off. Generallly, the rivers they go up to get to sheep areas are very skinny and dangerous. The areas where moose/elk hunting takes place are easy access in comparison. It makes sense that if the chance of boat damage increases so does the price.