PDA

View Full Version : Gun trouble

Dash
09-11-2016, 02:47 PM
So I was just getting geared up for my first trip (was going to leave mid-end of next week) and thought I'd go to the range one more time. We were shooting fine when all of a sudden my bolt gets stuck and won't go past the half way point. I can pull it completely out but only goes back in half way. I can't tell why and the guys there were really nice and helpful too but couldn't figure it out either. I can't tell why or what it's catching on. I'm pretty bummed. It was my dad's gun and I just bought a new scope and had it mounted as well. It's a 30.06 Parker Hale. Was really looking forward to bringing it out the first time especially because of the sentimental value. Can anyone recommend a local gunsmith? I'm in Langley. Is it unrealistic to hope for it to be fixed in time?

Thanks in advance :(

warnniklz
09-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Can you post pictures of your bolt?

Fella
09-11-2016, 03:04 PM
could be uncocked. My Howa bolt somehow came uncocked once and I had to basically cock it with my hands.

ROY-alty33
09-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Mauser action?
Remove bolt, rotate bolt face back into the correct position and reinsert, should lock up again?
Maybe......

Dash
09-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Mauser action?
Remove bolt, rotate bolt face back into the correct position and reinsert, should lock up again?
Maybe......

Tried that :(

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'll take a picture of it when I get home and post it. Fiance said he's going to try a couple other things when we get home but I don't know what. I appreciate the effort but both of our knowledge when it comes to this is some what limited.

warnniklz
09-11-2016, 03:14 PM
could be uncocked. My Howa bolt somehow came uncocked once and I had to basically cock it with my hands.

This is kind of what I was thinking.

dougan
09-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Could it be a scope ring screw? I've seen this before on a husky 308

Fella
09-11-2016, 03:39 PM
This is kind of what I was thinking.
Yeah what she was describing is exactly what happened to me. All i had to do was use a dish towel to get a better grip on the lug and the twist the bolt handle and voila!

lip_ripper00
09-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Take it to Garry Flach he is in Brookswood great guy great turnaround awesome work.

Weatherby Fan
09-11-2016, 07:52 PM
GEF on HBC or as above Gary Flach in Langley, excellent and fast work, you won't disappointed

Dash
09-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Ahhhhhhh I'm soooo excited! I owe you all beers! It was uncocked! I had just laid it out to take pictures of when I decided to look up uncocked bolts online and found out that's what happened! Fiance was able to do exactly as you did Fella. Oh my I am one happy lady lol. I was so upset. It means so much to me to be able to use my dad's gun. He passed suddenly a couple years ago now just after I got the gun. Never had a chance to make him proud so I'm really hoping for my first ever success this year. Thank you guys so so much! And thank you everyone for your other suggestions. I checked out and tried each one. I really appreciate everyone being so helpful :)

Fella
09-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Awesome! Glad it worked out!

ryanonthevedder
09-12-2016, 03:03 PM
There is a guy in Langley called Lex. He does nice work but his turn around is awful... if someone recommends him be prepared to wait months

Bugle M In
09-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Ahhhhhhh I'm soooo excited! I owe you all beers! It was uncocked! I had just laid it out to take pictures of when I decided to look up uncocked bolts online and found out that's what happened! Fiance was able to do exactly as you did Fella. Oh my I am one happy lady lol. I was so upset. It means so much to me to be able to use my dad's gun. He passed suddenly a couple years ago now just after I got the gun. Never had a chance to make him proud so I'm really hoping for my first ever success this year. Thank you guys so so much! And thank you everyone for your other suggestions. I checked out and tried each one. I really appreciate everyone being so helpful :)

Happened to me once as well....glad to hear you have it corrected.