PDA

View Full Version : Bonaparte wolf packs

tipper
09-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Has anyone here caught any of the two big wolf packs on their game cameras in the Bonaparte lake area this year? I haven't and I also haven't seen any sign of them this year which seems weird for the amount of time i'm up there.
Wondering if maybe they moved out to the lac du bois area?

lone wolf
09-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Last spring they had moved towards kamloops . Cant remember the name of the rd but kinda towards red lake .

ElliotMoose
09-11-2016, 08:01 PM
We shot two out of a pack of 12-15 last fall on the N Bonaparte. Didn't see any over the winter on the sleds

604ksmith
09-11-2016, 08:02 PM
I saw a pack of 6-7 wolves in the red lake area last year as they "stalked" or checked out me and my buddies as we walked through their turf. I was able to take a black female, and hit what I think was a grey male but I was never able to recover the grey male (I think I gut shot him).

J-F
09-12-2016, 01:34 AM
I saw a pack of 6-7 wolves in the red lake area last year as they "stalked" or checked out me and my buddies as we walked through their turf. I was able to take a black female, and hit what I think was a grey male but I was never able to recover the grey male (I think I gut shot him).

Two down. Thank you.

Bugle M In
09-12-2016, 03:45 AM
they are spread out all over.
From red lake to the arrowstone. (granted, bonoparte is much more north)

tipper
09-14-2016, 03:51 PM
You guys are lucky to see some and to be able to shoot a couple up that way! I'm up around that area almost every wknd and never see bugger all. Saw a few last year lower down but was working :-( Last winter on the sleds I didn't see any track just Lynx and the year before it was everywhere.

Bugle M In
09-14-2016, 04:05 PM
You guys are lucky to see some and to be able to shoot a couple up that way! I'm up around that area almost every wknd and never see bugger all. Saw a few last year lower down but was working :-( Last winter on the sleds I didn't see any track just Lynx and the year before it was everywhere.

well, look on the bright side....
if you ain't seeing wolf tracks.....you might be seeing more deer tracks, with deer standing in them:wink:

curt
09-14-2016, 05:57 PM
down around Saul Lake last November wolf track was insane saw a beast of a smokey gray one but just a second too slow on the trigger

BigfishCanada
09-15-2016, 09:37 AM
They have moved south, we have a few packs around Red right now, a few packs are around the fotox area, they are following the mule deer migration and heading towards the Thompson.

Things are like rats these days

luckofthedraw
09-15-2016, 09:46 AM
I can second the wolf sign around Saul Lake. I saw numerous wolf kills and sign last year. Tough buggers to hunt. I plan to shoot on sight, but have yet to see any.

Rotorwash
09-15-2016, 06:33 PM
I saw a monster black one in 70 mile. I thought it was a bear at first. he showed up minutes after the shot and I got my gun all bloody trying to get a shot on him

lone wolf
09-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Had one west of 100 mile stalk into my e-call set . Sneaky buggers . Before i could get the crosshairs on him he slipped out and ran . Let one fly but no luck . The last 3 weeks i have had a wolf encounter each week. Reg 3 and 5 . Numerous coyotes in a day . But starting to realize wolfs wont ruush in. They will stalk in .

walks with deer
09-15-2016, 10:04 PM
There is a pack working Eileen lake right now..all farmers in that vallet are hunting them but calves are falling

walks with deer
09-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Funny thing I am out of town but my wife will be hunting wolves tomorow to help out...

She asked me advise I said just hit them...lol

tipper
09-16-2016, 09:46 AM
They have moved south, we have a few packs around Red right now, a few packs are around the fotox area, they are following the mule deer migration and heading towards the Thompson.

Fadox hmmm might have to try that area out, xbar j ranch used to have a lot of wolves back in the day..that was long before the logging roads were everywhere. Lots of cats past fadox down into deadman area.

Big Hoss
09-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Was up around Fadox a couple years ago never seen much sign for Wolves at that time. But lots at Bonaparte maybe they've moved that direction now. On a side note I've heard the local Indian band has bought the x bar j and Casagrande ranches to run a camp teaching there kids to hunt and fish and what not

tipper
09-17-2016, 09:16 AM
I heard the same thing big hoss. I would have loved to own the x bar j!

Big Hoss
09-17-2016, 06:58 PM
You and me both Tipper. My great grandfather did own the Casagrande at one time

REMINGTON JIM
09-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Had one west of 100 mile stalk into my e-call set . Sneaky buggers . Before i could get the crosshairs on him he slipped out and ran . Let one fly but no luck . The last 3 weeks i have had a wolf encounter each week. Reg 3 and 5 . Numerous coyotes in a day . But starting to realize wolfs wont ruush in. They will stalk in .

They are WAY smarter then Yotes for sure ! RJ

GarryG
09-17-2016, 08:31 PM
On Thursday, I saw a tan colored wolf near Parky Mountain in Jamieson Creek, not too far south of Bonaparte.
It was gone before I got a chance at him.
In three days of hunting in that general area, I saw wolf tracks and droppings through out the upper Jamieson area.

lovemywinchester
09-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Everywhere north of the Thompson / Kamloops lake/ south Thompson river to Chase is covered in wolf tracks these days. I've covered a lot of it since 11 and you will find wolf tracks all over. Wait for the first snows and the logging roads will show where they are. The water seems to be a barrier as I don't see much sign on the south side but I am hearing more reports every year. Just a matter of time I guess.

I've only laid eyes on one so far and I missed it. Pretty smart animals for sure.

7 mag
09-18-2016, 12:08 AM
Ran into 4 (2 large & 2 younger looking ) on the Windy Mtn Rd, Sept 10th about 3 km north of Judsen intersect. They milled around sizing me up until I opened the truck door and then scattered. 1.5 Km up the road was 3 beef with young calves. Hmm, someone may have lost a calf or 2 lately.

tipper
10-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Damn it, I was up there for a week and had them howling for a few days but not a chance to see the smart buggers!!

Mosin
10-03-2016, 10:07 AM
My buddy shot a wolf near loon lake last sept, a friend of mine has been hearing lots of howling at night as well. I was up in the bonaparte area on sept3 for archery season and heard lots of howling at night and they wernt yotes thats for sure. Despite the howling i still managed to get a spiker during that weekend

tipper
10-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Congrats on getting the spiker mosin. I haven't see much for deer up that way this year but more grouse and bear than ever before!

Mosin
10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
On Thursday, I saw a tan colored wolf near Parky Mountain in Jamieson Creek, not too far south of Bonaparte.
It was gone before I got a chance at him.
In three days of hunting in that general area, I saw wolf tracks and droppings through out the upper Jamieson area.

What amazes me is the fact i was in that area and at night i hear them left right and center but didnt even see them and only saw a one scat and hardly any prints. They are like ghosts. I can see why guys hardly shoot them...cant shoot what you cant see.

Mosin
10-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Congrats on getting the spiker mosin. I haven't see much for deer up that way this year but more grouse and bear than ever before!

Funny u mention the bears my buddy got one from 15 yards with his 270 blr. I didnt see any grouse but was lucky enough to see a lynx...very graceful animal if you ever see one running, they literally float when they run.

Getbent
10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah we saw a couple of years back a pack that was following some late cattle that were heading down above Loon Lake.
Saw 2 BIG wolves up by Grant mountain as well...

lone wolf
11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
So its been a while since the last post and we have snow has anybody been seing them out there ?

Busterbrown
11-28-2016, 08:07 AM
I just returned from 4 days hunting at my cabin in 3-29...the wolf sign was everywhere there was snow on the ground... saw a ton of fresh sign on Sat morning as we had a some fresh snow overnite Friday.. they are in the area now.. looks to be 8 or 10 of them

Looking_4_Jerky
11-28-2016, 01:22 PM

Last year by the time spring thaw came, there were several packs in the immediate vicinity of Tsotin Lk, which would support BFC's theory that they are following the deer into their winter range probably more than hanging around up high looking for the few moose that are around.

tipper
11-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Last year by the time spring thaw came, there were several packs in the immediate vicinity of Tsotin Lk, which would support BFC's theory that they are following the deer into their winter range probably more than hanging around up high looking for the few moose that are around.

Did you see that retired biologists video of the packs in the grasslands just above Kamloops? The tree line isn't far from town

264mag
11-28-2016, 02:01 PM
I spoke to a rancher up my Bonaparte last week and he says they are killing cattle like crazy lately. Round up has been tough without snow and cows are vulnerable.

browningboy
11-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Hunting 3:30 I seen tonnes of wolf sign, from scat to tracks, they are like rats and everywhere! I don't know how the cattle survival rates are as they are easy pickings for them?

swampthing
11-28-2016, 05:55 PM
They are definitely expanding. I saw wolves couple weeks back and could see the city of Kamloops from the same spot.