PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Hunting with a Muzzle Loader?

Clam
09-11-2016, 08:13 AM
You know...ram rod...powder horn...leather shoulder bag...only one shot so you have to do it right the first time...

Ron.C
09-11-2016, 09:18 AM
I have hunted and taken many animals with my TC Prohunter muzzleloader.

But I've always had an itch to try a real old school gun.

250 sav
09-11-2016, 09:22 AM
My son shot his leh doe with a 54 hawken replica last fall and will again this fall.

180grainer
09-11-2016, 09:23 AM
You know...ram rod...powder horn...leather shoulder bag...only one shot so you have to do it right the first time...
I use to. Had a 58 cal. But they also use to have a "special weapons" season in Region 2 which made it worth it to get into muzzle loading. They don't have it anymore which is a shame. Sure like to see the BCWF arguing for it's return in multiple regions.

btridge
09-11-2016, 09:23 AM
I have hunted using a 50 Hawkins and patched round ball, kills a deer every bit as dead. I tend to treat it as if I am bow hunting ,range wise.

375shooter
09-11-2016, 09:49 AM
The first deer I ever shot was with a CVA Kentucky caplock muzzleloader in .45 caliber. Used Pyrodex powder behind a Hornady round ball. The deer was at about 25 yards. Broadside shot behind the shoulder. Found the ball under the hide on the offside. It only ran about 10 yards.

dracb
09-11-2016, 10:25 AM
12 bore Gibbs African Hunter, 20 bore under hammer and Austin and Halleck50 cal. Mountain Rifle. All of which are probably good 75 meter rifles before learning how much to hold over becomes an issue. As they are round ball rifles they are not long range guns. The balls have a low ballistic coefficient resulting in rapid loss of energy with distance and a rainbow trajectory. They are easier to learn to be effective with than vertical bows, but the effective range is not that much greater than a bow when both are compared to modern cartridge rifles or inlines.

My understanding of the situation is the Ministry realized that muzzle loaders had evolved to the point that modern muzzle loaders were not at much disadvantage when compared to cartridge rifle i.e. not really "primitive" weapons so why give them a special season advantage relative those hunting with modern cartridge guns.BUUUT just like bow hunters that choose to fling sticks all season those that like breathing brimstone fumes with their fire still have all season to blacken their lungs.

Clam
09-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I used to use a T/C "Hawken" .50. I conducted experiments that compared .490 round balls with bullets that I cast from Lee Moulds. The accuracy was about the same. Such wonderful aromatic clouds of smoke!!! And flame!!! I had a slight preference for the scent of Goex smoke over that of Pyro.
I can understand why modern "inline" muzzle loaders might be thought of as sufficiently contemporary as to lose any credibility as a primitive firearm. However, I still say there should be a separate season for exposed hammer percussion and, of course, flintlock guns and rifles.

TheProvider
10-15-2016, 06:13 PM
I've taken quite a few animals with an inline.

Always wanted to get a flintlock or percussion cap and looking at getting a Hawken Replica. Looking at selling one of my inlines to fund it.

MOOSE MILK
10-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Shot black (traditional) for over 40 years, inlines should not be classed with primitive PERIOD.
Taken many game animals with my Lancaster flint. One of the toughest hunts I have had was antelope in Wyoming with "MeatMaker" my.54 flinter.

Awishanew
10-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Called in and between my partner and myself we shot 5 bull moose with 54 cal, Hawkin rifles. Big thing is get very close.