PDA

View Full Version : Transporting wild game out of BC and then back in againTransporti.

Slinky Pickle
09-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I have an opportunity to hunt elk in northern BC this year but there's one small wrinkle that I haven't quite solved yet. The easiest way to access this place is to leave BC, go into Alberta and then come back into BC. On the way up, no problem, but on the way back do I have any issues transporting wildlife back and forth? From what I can tell it's legal to move game taken in BC into Alberta and game taken in Alberta back into BC but going back and forth doesn't quite fit the description. I'm pretty sure there's no issue but I'm having a bit of a challenge getting a response out of the COS.

Just to make it more interesting, I'll be driving through a National Park too. Hopefully I'll have an elk rack sticking up out of the box of the truck at the time. I'm not sure if that makes for another potential problem but we'll see.

Anyone wanna weigh in on what the results of my conversation with the COS might be? :)

squamishhunter
09-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Jasper?

Just have all your paperwork in order.

boxhitch
09-10-2016, 08:47 PM
rules are spelt out on pg 22, though they are more complex than needed.
you are not really exporting or importing from one to another if you are just driving through most direct route, but the permits are a good cya

btridge
09-11-2016, 07:12 AM
You will need an export permit from Alberta back into BC, you don't need an export permit from BC as you will be with your own harvest.

Slinky Pickle
09-11-2016, 08:47 AM
rules are spelt out on pg 22,
That covers us to take it out of BC and our licenses and tags will be our export permits (B.C.W.A. 24.1)

You will need an export permit from Alberta back into BC.
I think you're correct and that's the one that's got us scratching our heads a bit.

The parks are a whole other deal.

btridge
09-11-2016, 09:12 AM
A friend of mine found out the hard way about the requirements of an export permit. He went through a game check in the Crowsnest Pass, he was ticketed and he had to stay in Alberta overnight to get a export permit when the CO's office opened . He was transporting a moose he had shot in Ft St John, came down through Alberta and was re-entering BC.

northof49
09-11-2016, 09:16 AM
May want to keep the antlers tucked away or tarped rather than on display for travel through the park to avoid unnessary attention. Good to do for more than one reason....JMO. I generally do this regardless.

vip_ruger
09-11-2016, 10:06 AM
you need to get a export permit and u will be fine

Everett
09-11-2016, 10:42 AM
As long as the animal does not require inspection your good to go done it many times. Any animal that requires in inspection has be checked before you leave the province.
You have remember to case your firearms while travelling through the park though.