PDA

View Full Version : New Hunters. Have tent and will travel.

Falken
09-10-2016, 03:06 PM
We've heard of deer, seen them on tv, and even read about them. But we're starting to think they are less common than unicorns. At least in the Region 2 area.

We are two inexperienced Vancouver based hunters in our 40s who are desperate to at least see one of those mythical antlered beasts. Something that eluded us last year.

We were wondering if anyone is planning something between October 9 and 22 and wouldn't mind mentoring a few frustrated fellows.

We have a 12 X 12 Alaknak tent with wood stove which fits 4 comfortably should anyone need some more room (I explained to the wife that the tent purchase 'just happened' when my hunting partner and I were at Cabela's. I think she was more pleased with the fact that he foot the bill).

We are members of the Mission Rod and Gun club and are out in the Fraser Valley often.

We'll travel as far out in BC as our 2 wheel drive van will take us. Or further if anyone has a few spare seats in their 4x4.

Mule. Whitetail, or Blacktail. We just want to see one!

Ddog
09-10-2016, 03:52 PM
tough first post,,i hear there are a few hunters on here though,,maybe someone can help thats close by you.? i dunno though.

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Where have you tried already? Are you firm on your dates? I ask that because if you are looking for any buck, the 1st of October is your best bet in my opinion. Mind you, the last week of October is good as well.

Falken
09-10-2016, 04:31 PM
We've tried logging roads in the Squamish area and north of Chilliwack. We also tried off the Coquihalla just past Hope.

the Coquihalla region had the most promise as we found footprints and a well established game trail. Though, in general, we'e been limited by our 2 wheel drive van.

We haven't been able to go too far down most logging roads except the ones that are maintained and active. And that usually comes to a stop when we reach a blocked off in use area.

We've been thinking of going higher up the Coquihalla and deeper into the interior of BC. Though we'll certainly re-check the Coquilhalla spot where we found the game trail.

A 4x4 purchase is being considered. Though that may not be for some time 😕

Falken
09-10-2016, 04:34 PM
And we are firm on our dates. We both have a 2 week holiday window to work with then.

Wentrot
09-10-2016, 04:48 PM
You don't need a 4x4. A van will do. Park somewhere and start hiking!

markt308
09-10-2016, 04:50 PM
each year I try and help one rookie hunter on this site. In the past it's led to their first buck. I'm happy to help point you in the right direction and will pm you

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Plenty of roads that are two wheel accessible, but a 4wd truck opens up just a little more of the country, with the added peace of mind. Do yourselves a favor and go a little bit further passed Hope. Another hour or two can get you into some very productive areas. Lots of roads off of the Coq on Tulameen connector. The Kamloops Princeton connector has lots of fsr's off of it. Ketchan Lake fsr, Pike Mtn fsr, Hornet lake fsr. Logan lake to Ashcroft has a ton of fsr's. The Tulameen connector has almost all mulies. Everywhere else has both, and all within 3.5 hours.

Camp Cook
09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
What time of day have you been looking?

I find during hot sunny weather deer are in heavy cover at day break.

two-feet
09-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Learn your prey. Figure out what they need at certain times of year, hunt accordingly. Try books by valerius geist, he is the grand wizzard of the deer family.

If you have 2 weeks and are willing to travel i feel you should have a reasonable chance. And dont limit yourself to bucks, go get a white tail doe.

anywhere between the fraser valley and prince george should put you in decent deer country, drive and hike until you start seeing animals or sign.

sapper
09-10-2016, 06:47 PM
The Kamloops Princeton connector ... The Tulameen connector
Hmmm?! I'm not familiar with either of these roads as named by you. Is the "Kamloops Connector" Highway 5A between the Okanagan Connector and Princeton and the "Tulameen Connector" Coalmont Road?

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes to the 5A. Aspen grove is on it. Coalmont road? There is an fsr that connects the Coq and Tulameen/Coalmont. It is just passed where the old toll booths were, to the north.

Hmmm?! I'm not familiar with either of these roads as named by you. Is the "Kamloops Connector" Highway 5A between the Okanagan Connector and Princeton and the "Tulameen Connector" Coalmont Road?

Falken
09-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone 😊

It's nice to hear we don't have to give up on our old 2wd van just yet.

We've usually hunted in and around logging cuts off of maintained FSRs. Sounds like going deeper is the key. I imagine that commercial activity on a FSR will spook the animals a bit.

One of the reasons we got the tent was to be able to stay a few days in a location. We've heard that animals that are spooked usually return after an overnight reset. How true is that?

sparkes3
09-10-2016, 07:42 PM
get a real set of chains for your van just in case you get into a dicey situation.
put them on when your home just to make sure they fit right and you get some practice putting them on..
don't use them to get into an area because then your backup when you get stuck is already gone..
lots of great area of highways 5 3 and 1.

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Deeper is not always required. Little hikes over top of knolls just out of the vision of the road is sometimes all that is required. When I'm hunting with my boy we stop wherever it looks promising, and go for little jaunts here and there. Doesn't have to be far. They get used to commercial activity. Regarding the "reset", depends on the animal, and how many times they have been spooked from a particular spot. Big bucks are generally gone after one time. When the rut is on, anything is possible.

We've usually hunted in and around logging cuts off of maintained FSRs. Sounds like going deeper is the key. I imagine that commercial activity on a FSR will spook the animals a bit.

One of the reasons we got the tent was to be able to stay a few days in a location. We've heard that animals that are spooked usually return after an overnight reset. How true is that?

Falken
09-11-2016, 01:57 AM
get a real set of chains for your van just in case you get into a dicey situation.
put them on when your home just to make sure they fit right and you get some practice putting them on..
don't use them to get into an area because then your backup when you get stuck is already gone..
lots of great area of highways 5 3 and 1.

Thanks for the tips. We've brought along chains for our van when out and about and had seriously considered using them to travel further.

But your advice makes a lot more sense. A backup fails to be a backup when one gets stuck using it.

Falken
09-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Deeper is not always required. Little hikes over top of knolls just out of the vision of the road is sometimes all that is required. When I'm hunting with my boy we stop wherever it looks promising, and go for little jaunts here and there. Doesn't have to be far. They get used to commercial activity. Regarding the "reset", depends on the animal, and how many times they have been spooked from a particular spot. Big bucks are generally gone after one time. When the rut is on, anything is possible.

Thanks. We'll definitely comb over habitat we pass through more closely in the future. And give some previously overlooked places a second thought 😊

albravo2
09-11-2016, 07:02 AM
I've seen scads of deer up toward Logan Lake on the way from Merritt. I think the trick up there would be to find crown land as all the deer I saw were on private land. They are there though.

Ron.C
09-11-2016, 09:26 AM
You say you are willing to travel and are looking at 9-20ish of Oct. I'd say head out to region 4 for the start of the antlerless whitetail season that starts on 10 Oct. You'll have no issues seeing deer.
Absolutely tons of accessible places to hunt out there that don't require 4x4. Ample areas to camp and for new hunters, shouldn't be too difficult at all to cut a tag or two. And bring an elk tag!!!!

All my region 4 hunting has been from Moyie Lake to Radium. I don't suspect you'd have a hard time finding whitetail on any of the lower elevation FSR's anywhere in between.

drop me a PM if you're interested. I can give you some more specific places to start.