PDA

View Full Version : Handloading 300 wsm

kris
09-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Hi there. Recently I posted a rifle for sale that just has a little too much bang for me. I have received a few responses about ways to make the rifle more suitable. One response that I received was about Handloading reduced recoil loads for the 300 wsm. Just wondering if there is anyone on this forum in the kamloops area who Handloading and has experience with this concept and who might like to show someone the ropes. Thanks in advance.

As this is my first real post here's a joke.

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts.

Beer nuts cost around $1.79 and deer nuts are just under a buck.

A little corny I know but there it is.

Xenomorph
09-09-2016, 03:23 PM
What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts.

Beer nuts cost around $1.79 and deer nuts are just under a buck.

Good one, laughed out loud.

You'll find a bunch around Kamloops, that's a good idea. 300wsm is generally a good-for-all option anyway

Boner
09-09-2016, 04:27 PM
To get started in the right direction look for a bullet that takes H4895 for a powder option. Start out at 60% of max load and work your way up until you get a recipe that you are happy with. Something with decent groups, reduced recoil and if you hunt, enough velocity/energy at the furthest distance that you want to shoot to cleanly kill your game.

emerson
09-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Any Kamloops members up for a familiarization session Kris. I'm in PG so a little too far.

604redneck
09-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm in Kelowna but if you are out that way while I'm around I'll load a few up with you.

Fish Nutz
09-09-2016, 07:52 PM
You could always throw a limbsaver airtech on which will help allot. I got one off amazon.ca, tames it a bit.

Tron
09-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Go see Dave Jennings in Pritchard and talk to him about muzzle breaks. He did one for me and it helps to keep the rifle from jumping and less recoil

Gateholio
09-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Are you already a handloader? If so, I would first try loading up some starting charge loads. They are often quite accurate, and usually much lower in recoil than the top end load.

kris
09-10-2016, 04:19 AM
I am not a hand loader. Totally new to me. Just seemed like an interesting idea for being able to stick with the rifle I already own.

kris
09-10-2016, 04:20 AM
Go see Dave Jennings in Pritchard and talk to him about muzzle breaks. He did one for me and it helps to keep the rifle from jumping and less recoil

I have had a few people mention muzzle breaks. Unfortunately I have a couple new additions to the household coming and just don't have the funding available for something like that at the moment.

kris
09-10-2016, 04:22 AM
You could always throw a limbsaver airtech on which will help allot. I got one off amazon.ca, tames it a bit.

Looked into that option and at that price point it's definitely something I am going to try. Thanks

kris
09-10-2016, 04:23 AM
I'm in Kelowna but if you are out that way while I'm around I'll load a few up with you.

Thanks for the offer but as mentioned about the additions I think I'll be lucky to even get out hunting. Haha

kris
09-10-2016, 04:26 AM
To get started in the right direction look for a bullet that takes H4895 for a powder option. Start out at 60% of max load and work your way up until you get a recipe that you are happy with. Something with decent groups, reduced recoil and if you hunt, enough velocity/energy at the furthest distance that you want to shoot to cleanly kill your game.

Thanks for the starting point. If I can find someone who is already setup and has some time I will star there. Just not sure I'm ready to jump right into purchasing all the required kit to get started at this time.

kris
09-10-2016, 04:27 AM
Any Kamloops members up for a familiarization session Kris. I'm in PG so a little too far.

Thanks again for the tip. Nice to explore all options for sure

LuckyHorseshoe
09-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I am not a hand loader. Totally new to me. Just seemed like an interesting idea for being able to stick with the rifle I already own.

if you don't already have the handloading equipment I would go to Jennings for a brake. I shoot a 300wsm, with a Jennings break. It would be equally as expensive to buy the loading stuff as it would be for the brake and the muzzle brake works really well for me. I think the cost was around $350

Uzi
09-12-2016, 10:06 PM
165 grain accubonds w/62.5grains imr 4350 puts you around 2920fps great accuracy great all around bullet love those accubonds out of my 300wsm great caliber