PDA

View Full Version : Bosk Lake Area???

papaken
09-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Going to be hunting the Bosk Lake (north-east of 100 Mile) area mid-September. Any bull moose draw with a friend and his daughter. We have 2 quads and I am taking my 12 ft. aluminum boat with a 6 HP outboard. Wanting to do some fishing and also check the shore for game. Has anyone fished this area during September? Any suggestions for lures, flies etc. Thinking it might be the beginning of the moose rut and plan to do some calling or am I to early? Hunted the Chilcotin Plateau and Fort St. James areas for many years but always in October not the middle of Sept.
Thx papaken

srupp
09-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Hmmm good pockets of moose..decent goats area...it's been really wet..really wet..colder than usual..flies..leeches gamma us shrimp..wooly buggers. .lots of bears in the area including grizzly. ..
Good luck
Steven

papaken
09-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks Steven Checked the regs and it seems goat not open in 5-2 but full curl bighorns are. Is it worth getting a tag or are they few and far? Wouldn't mind getting a blackie but can live without any grizzly encounters. Be nice to get a bear and a deer and get a bunch of sausage made. Bought a bunch of different flies and have a few lures to try on the lake. Looking at the topo maps it looks like there are some promising areas to check out both from the lake and hike in off the road. Hope to have a story and some picts to share when I get back.

srupp
09-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Correct about goats..no need for sheep tag..LOTS of black bear..that and deer should be relatively easy.it is a nice area..
Cheers
Srupp

Dirty Steve
09-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Meagan meadows... I think it's right down the road towards crooked lake. Lots of moose in there! Bosk lake is wicked fishing! I reeled in one of the biggest rainbows of my life from that lake.

papaken
09-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks Steve I was looking at the topo map and see there are meadows at the north end of Bosk and west of Cruiser Lake. Glad to hear there are fish in the lake. Were you trolling or fly fishing? I used to get some big rainbows out on the Chilcotin Plateau many years ago when I hunted up that way. My biggest rainbow was 9 lbs out of Chancellor Lake but that was 35 years ago. Back then they had a cow/calf season as well as any bull. Hope to call in a nice bull for my friends daughter.

Dirty Steve
09-12-2016, 04:38 AM
Meegan ( sp? ) meadows is closer to crooked. I would focus your time there. I was just dragging a little wedding band and small gang troll. Another wicked option I would do is drift the Horsefly river. Bring a canoe or look for a drift boat there. There's some good swamps up and down the river. Mullies in there too...
Good luck man!

Madcook
09-15-2016, 12:38 PM
I had a draw last year in your area and bad thing is we came out empty, not sure if its because it was very hot (22) but we were there til oct 15 and after that period they started to show. keep in mind when we were there most moose were coming out from Moffat lake area But stay high.
I had set camp by elbow lake and took atvs over to moffat. Good luck

srupp
09-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes last fall was hell on heat..this year water, food everywhere..your area already has had frost a couple of mornings..

As for flies..troll a leech..the ruby eyed copper front dazzle link micro leech..is Killer..I have extras..also wooly buggers and dragon nymphs and gamma us shrimp..also lcan be trolled..or cast..go bigger patterns Iin fall heavy takes.
So far moose harvest is 2 better than last fall..one breaking 50 inch rack..which is big here.
Good luck
Steven