PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dogs

Faw
09-07-2016, 11:27 PM
I have a dog I have never hunted with. He is a lab crossed with a golden retriever. He is 4 1/2 years old now and I feel he might be too old to teach new tricks. Just wondering people's thoughts. I will probably wait until it is puppy time again to train a dog in hunting, but the thought excites me. Has anyone trained an older dog to hunt? My thought is that it is his nature, but I'm concerned he is too much of a city boy now.

Omenator
09-07-2016, 11:53 PM
What's it going to hurt to try? Just introduce the gun noise while doing something fun and distracting.

Faw
09-08-2016, 12:00 AM
That's exactly it. He barks when someone walks up the step. I'm nervous gun noise will send him packing.

New Bow Hunter
09-08-2016, 05:15 AM
Start him out by using a cap gun, then a 22 and gradually move up. It will be less likely he will be gun shy.

boxhitch
09-08-2016, 05:29 AM
What type of tricks? what type of hunting?
I have a 5 yr old that I want to train for blood tracking, he has a good nose and gets hungry and like his treats so should be no problem

adriaticum
09-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Be careful and make sure you know how to introduce it to gun shots

hotload
09-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Yupp, be careful with the loud noises. It's a long road back with a gun shy dog. Depending on the degree of tracking you strive for, most dogs can follow an easy track, but it's when the track gets long, with corners,or terrain gets difficult, and or the thermals start swirling that it can get tough for a dog. Lots of dogs are city dogs but many dogs are instinctively country. You have nothing to lose, get him out there and give it a shot, have fun.................................

Angus
09-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Started hunting training with my lab when he was three. We were both newbies to waterfowling. There is a lot of valuable information out in there in books and DVDs, but best thing that happened for both of us was getting some great mentoring from a couple of members of Hunting BC. That, was invaluable and a great way to make some new friends.

Cheers

BRvalley
09-08-2016, 01:54 PM
what sort of hunting are you thinking of?

I don't fully subscribe to the can't teach an old dog new tricks concept, every dog is different, and not every trainer is effective...it's really a case by case thing

I think most labs/lab crosses are obviously easier to train for water retrieving, I'd assume there's no issue swimming already? my labs certainly are better at water retrieves with much less training vs grouse hunting....for a dog with no hunting exposure I would ease into introducing him to gunshots and really make hunting fun for him, focus on building his drive first and then move onto specific training

this is a book that somebody on here recommended to me, and I've enjoyed it and experienced moderate success

https://www.amazon.ca/Gun-Dog-Training-Spaniels-Retrievers-Kenneth/dp/0811711145

Faw
09-08-2016, 07:11 PM
I'd be happy right now if he could just go out for grouse. I think he'd be a natural. I'm just worried about the gunshots cuz he's kind of a chicken lol.

ncurrie
09-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Ease him in slowly and make it tons of fun. Start by having him fetch a grouse wing once he's hooked on that then stand about 20 feet with some one that can throw grouse in air and shoot cap gun at same time, then he goes and retrieves grouse, each time moving closer until you you are right beside person with gun then build up to shot gun using same method. Tons of praise patience and make it fun with lots of reassurance. He will never be to old to learn

09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Ease him in slowly and make it tons of fun. Start by having him fetch a grouse wing once he's hooked on that then stand about 20 feet with some one that can throw grouse in air and shoot cap gun at same time, then he goes and retrieves grouse, each time moving closer until you you are right beside person with gun then build up to shot gun using same method. Tons of praise patience and make it fun with lots of reassurance. He will never be to old to learn

Good advice! Done right, you have a partner for life, done wrong.........just no reason for it with a little research and what's been said here, wouldn't let his age slow you down.

Huevos
09-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I had a lab retriever cross. Great hunting dog. It was my first dog and I never knew anything about training them. The first time I took him shooting, he cowered under the truck at the noise. That was with a .22 we were out later on and he happened to be with me when I shot a duck off the pond behind my house. He connected the dots and after that, whenever I picked up a gun he was there waiting to go. He figured out that the loud shot usually had a prize at the other end. Since then, I have learned a lot about the proper way to introduce them to hunting. I now start at a distance with a starter pistol while they are eating their dinner and don't let on that anything happened. Lots of good books and bid dog forums that will get you the info you need on the subject as well. Like was said before, best to ease them into it.