PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Matrress

Arctic Lake
09-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Hi Fellas
Wondering if any of you guy's sleep on a double air mattress and if so what can be done to prevent it from being cold when the surrounding air is cold.
Thanks!
Arctic Lake

emerson
09-07-2016, 08:47 PM
A shapely heater warms me.

blackwater
09-07-2016, 08:50 PM
1-2" foam topper works well.

knothead
09-07-2016, 09:06 PM
agree on the foam topper, the air in the mattress is of course the same temp as the outside air which sucks the heat from your body. Even 1" of foam will help as a thermal break.

wideopenthrottle
09-07-2016, 09:36 PM
that memory foam is amazing...learned as a kid air mattresses are for the pool

monasheemountainman
09-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Spooning a dirty ol hooker

09-07-2016, 10:17 PM
1-2" foam topper works well.

the foam will get moisture from body heat between foam and mattress. Possibly the blue foam or a therarest pad on top the air mattress would be better.

Stresd
09-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Air mattress is for the beach. Loose the air mattress and buy yourself a good sleeping pad. You'll never regret it. Costs more, but you will find it has been money well spent. Especially on a cold night. I've used the same Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xtherm for about 5 years now and find it excellent.

Gun Dog
09-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Air mattress is for the beach. Loose the air mattress and buy yourself a good sleeping pad. You'll never regret it. Costs more, but you will find it has been money well spent. Especially on a cold night. I've used the same Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xtherm for about 5 years now and find it excellent.
ditto.

Water vapour from your sleeping body will hit the cold air mattress and condense leaving you with a soggy sleeping bag.

Sunzuki
09-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Cot with a foamy?

skibum
09-08-2016, 11:49 AM
This........

Air mattress is for the beach.

jbruce
09-09-2016, 04:37 AM
wouldn't tent it any other way any more,air matrress smooth out the bumps and make the night go down with a dream,old first aid style wool blanket under your sleeping bag will take care of the chills..

Arctic Lake
09-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replies so far fellas !
Arctic Lake

Ohwildwon
09-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Those things are designed to leak!

boxhitch
09-10-2016, 06:42 AM
wouldn't tent it any other way any more,air matrress smooth out the bumps and make the night go down with a dream,old first aid style wool blanket under your sleeping bag will take care of the chills..agreed
any blanket works and is easy to dry. Shipping blankets have good padding.

SaintSix
09-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Get a good sleeping pad, inflatable type. I use a exped synmat 9 and its roughly 3inchs inflated and inside is full of insulation. Look for the "R' rating the higher the number the better. I believe mines a '6' in comparison to a normal foam roll type which are usally a '1' or so. At 270lbs when I wake up its not deflated like a cheap air mattress would be.

Arctic Lake
09-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks to all of you for your replies so far !
Arctic Lake

wideopenthrottle
09-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks to all of you for your replies so far !
Arctic Lake

oh, and one other thing, get a cot if you are not alpine hunting..i have an old cot and a foamy now and don't have to sleep on the cold ground anymore... way way better option all the way around

rcar
09-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I use my sleeping pad. It has a pretty good R rating and keeps me warm from the nasty cold from the air mattress....plus it allows me to take it for a spike camp. Foamies are great but bulky.

twoSevenO
09-14-2016, 12:39 AM
I made my own system that works quite well. It's a therm-a-rest mattress i already had with a 1.5" memory foam mattress topper on top. Both are stuffed inside a large fleece sleeping bag liner that keeps things together and provides a nice comfy surface to sleep on. It works surprisingly well, and when i need to go on a backpack hunt, i just pull the thermarest out and use it on its own.

Here is how it looks. Hope it gives someone an idea: http://imgur.com/a/PyP3I

Barracuda
09-14-2016, 11:27 AM
cots can be just as cold if not colder the an air mattress . lie on a cot and the insulation that you lie on no longer insulates you because it is compressed and you are essentially lying on the cold air at least with an Air bed (not the old school kiddie pool ones ) whats under you isn't as squished as much you have have air that is like a thermo pane window that is a tad warmer then outside air and you are also off the ground .

Glenny
09-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Buy a hunk of "Reflectec" (The foil type bubble wrap) Put it on top of mattress, maybe tape it on. That stuff will automatically radiate your body heat right back at you and the cold air underneath the other way.

wideopenthrottle
09-14-2016, 12:42 PM
cots can be just as cold if not colder the an air mattress . lie on a cot and the insulation that you lie on no longer insulates you because it is compressed and you are essentially lying on the cold air at least with an Air bed (not the old school kiddie pool ones ) whats under you isn't as squished as much you have have air that is like a thermo pane window that is a tad warmer then outside air and you are also off the ground .
being up in the air on a cot is always warmer than being on the cold ground ...this is especially true if you have a woodstove in your tent and/or snow on the ground....IMHO ...of course you still need something under you with a cot, I have used a wool blanket but now use a memory foam...way way better than sleeping on the ground and I have spent 1000's of nights sleeping in a tent/lean-to/quinsy in all weather

Wild Images
09-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Downmat 7......Done

Barracuda
09-14-2016, 10:10 PM
being up in the air on a cot is always warmer than being on the cold ground ...this is especially true if you have a woodstove in your tent and/or snow on the ground....IMHO ...of course you still need something under you with a cot, I have used a wool blanket but now use a memory foam...way way better than sleeping on the ground and I have spent 1000's of nights sleeping in a tent/lean-to/quinsy in all weather

Im talking about the newer air beds they have a frame are off the ground and even come on queen size

twoSevenO
09-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Air matresses are terrible and none ive ever used could last more than one season before leaking air big time. Plus theyre a total pain in the ass and pretty heavy for what they are.

ddbeattie32@gmail.com
09-14-2016, 10:18 PM
I was told to put emergency blankets under your mattress.

twoSevenO
09-15-2016, 12:54 AM
That might help somewhat but i sont think it will help much. Also those things crinkle and are quite loud.

Someone already mentioned the preferred alternative, which is the reflective insulation that you can buy at home depot. Reflective on both sides and about quarter inch thick so it actually provides some insulation.

I put that stuff on my south facing windows in the summer. Makes a huge difference in amount of heat that gets into the house. Stays way cooler than without it.

Arctic Lake
09-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas !
Arctic Lake

09-16-2016, 07:42 PM
I use a Thermarest Base Camp self inflating. It is excellent. Combine it with a luxurylight cot and you have a pretty slick setup.