PDA

View Full Version : Mid or late September elk hunting in the Kootenay region?

MichelD
09-07-2016, 12:14 PM
If you had a choice of elk hunting in the Kootenay region the week starting September 18 or the next week starting September 25, which would you choose?

Is the rut and bugling still on at that time?

I can't get away the first two weeks of the month.

I had hoped to get away on the 17th but now my partner has commitments until the 23rd so if I go at all it looks like later rather than earlier.

I have advice from a very experienced, helpful and generous elk hunter who says late September is good, but others suggest earlier is better.

It would be my first try for Rocky Mtn. elk, so it is two greenhorns blundering in the dark anyway, but I want to give it a try at least once.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Everett
09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Elk are bugling all September and I have called them in in the last week of September but I have shot two bulls on the 19th so I would say the week of the 18th.

jacksondog
09-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Varies from year to year, 3 years ago I shot my bull on the 13th of September and he was bugling like crazy, 2 years ago shot my bull on the 16th of September and there was very little calling going on at that time and last year I shot my bull on the 23 of September and the bulls were again doing some heavy bugling. As for the start of this year from what I've heard and from the hunters I've talked bugling is next to nil. Last week of September should still have some bulls bugling and you will benefit from decreased hunting pressure as most guys will have taken their holidays. Good luck.

grizzlydown
09-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Elk are bugling all September and I have called them in in the last week of September but I have shot two bulls on the 19th so I would say the week of the 18th.
I am hoping for the week of the 18-23rd!!

Mik
09-07-2016, 10:36 PM
I have buddies going to the Kootenays tomorrow they should be back in approx 10 days. Hopefully I'll get a good report �� as I can't get away till the last week of Sept. Good luck on the hunt.