PDA

View Full Version : new hunter and loving it

mountiankatt
09-07-2016, 11:02 AM
so this year is my first real hunting year. went out with friends last year.

we have been driving around the area where i got my leh elk draw, really learning a new area.

took a trip to the 'old' area, where we spend quite a bit of time outdoors year round. got ourselves a nice black bear.

not sure how much meat you're supposed to get off a black - we ended up with around 50lbs to the butcher (took it off the bear/bones ourselves). it was a serious learning experience for my first gut and butcher.... and now i can't wait for the rest of the season!

caddisguy
09-07-2016, 03:38 PM
so this year is my first real hunting year. went out with friends last year.

we have been driving around the area where i got my leh elk draw, really learning a new area.

took a trip to the 'old' area, where we spend quite a bit of time outdoors year round. got ourselves a nice black bear.

not sure how much meat you're supposed to get off a black - we ended up with around 50lbs to the butcher (took it off the bear/bones ourselves). it was a serious learning experience for my first gut and butcher.... and now i can't wait for the rest of the season!

Welcome to the forum.

I think the general rule is to divide the total weight of the animal by half and that's roughly the amount of meat you will end up with. Bears have a pretty thick hide, fat and a lot of bone, so the general rule could be off by a fair amount. We picked our bear clean this year, except the head meat which I found out while skinning out the skull a couple days later it could have added another pound or two for the grinder. Never weighed it, but it was a heck of a pack-out of two people... guessing 75-100lbs but only guessing.

exv
09-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the BB and hope your LEH goes well. Don't let yourself get discouraged if you don't always come home with something for the freezer and enjoy the journey.

lostmind
09-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Hey MountainKatt! Well, you're doing better than this new hunter. I've been out more than a few times and come back empty handed. Congrats! Hope you find your elk.

scotty30-06
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the site bud....awesome to hear your having so much fun and being successful with it.....good luck on the leh.