PDA

View Full Version : Air gun for hunting grouse?

lostmind
09-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi Folks!

Looking for some help/clarification.

I've been on a few hunts now. I tend to see a lot of grouse when I'm out deer hunting. I've never taken a shot at one because my 30-06 is... well too much. :)

So I was thinking to carry a shotgun just for them.

But then it crossed my mind that some air guns are pretty wicked. Plus light, cheap and accurate.

The regs do not state you can or can't use them though.

Thoughts, experiences? I searched the forums here but my searches were all useless sadly.

Thanks!

09-07-2016, 10:50 AM
they do state it is illegal....
page 16, "legal hunting methods" if it is not there it is not legal....... this one has been here before.

EDIT: I do however thing this should be changed, with the new tech air rifles out there .... it could easily be reworder to be by "FPS"

FortBoy
09-07-2016, 11:34 AM
personally, a .22 with cci ammo is the ticket imho.

DBM
09-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Yes it is legal. I have a copy of an email saying so from a conservation officer saying so. Keep in mind it has to be a pellet rifle, not a pellet handgun. You would be best served emailing a C.O. so you have a hard copy in case you bump into a different officer who interprets things differently.

DBM
09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
This has been covered before. I have an email from officer Van Damme stating it's legal to shoot grouse with a pellet rifle, and others have done the same. Please read this link where it was covered once before.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?39674-Pellet-gun-for-hunting-Grouse/page9

wideopenthrottle
09-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I have gotten them with bb guns, slingshots, thrown rocks, and swinging sticks..i have even seen them shot with airsoft rifles

KodiakHntr
09-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Perfectly legal.

I've a Model 34 Diana as a kid for years. And now use a RWS Magnum 350. Both .177.

Farthest one one shot kill with the 350 was 88 yards. I'd certainly not want to take a pellet to the belly button at 100 yards from it.....

09-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Really? How is it legal kodiak?
I thought it was one of thoes " if it's not listed it isn't legal " things.

Gateholio
09-07-2016, 08:25 PM

You are reading something into the regs that isn't actually there.

Nowhere does it say that all other methods are illegal.

Gateholio
09-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Those of you that enjoy hunting with alternate weapons such as air guns, slingshots or spears should make sure you write the BCWF to express your desire to keep them legal. With the spear hunting drama in Alberta, and subsequent regulation change, expect something similar to happen in BC.

KodiakHntr
09-08-2016, 07:04 AM

You have that backwards. If it's not specifically specified as illegal, in the ACT, not in the pretty little summary booklet (the synopsis) then it is legal. If you read the actual legislation, you see very clearly what is legal and what isn't legal.

You won't find spear hunting listed in the synopsis, but it is definitely legal as it isn't specifically listed as illegal.

now, using a pellet pistol for hunting grouse, that is illegal in BC, as is specifically stated as such. Not illegal in Alberta though.

09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Thanks Kodiak, that would explain it to me.

lostmind
09-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Some amazing info here. Appreciate it folks!

Seems that an AIR RIFLE would be legal, while an AIR PISTOL isn't due to:

"Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber."

An air pistol is what I was hoping to use, as it is so light and easy to carry. :)

Oh well.

So perhaps I should pose another question:

I am a guy who typically drives up the mountain in the morning, parks and hikes out to spots I think look decent for deer (often totally incorrect but hey, I'm a newb and how else to learn?), hunts on foot all day and then hikes back to my truck and drives to camp at the end of the day. Currently I only carry a 30-06 with me. Would anyone recommend carrying a second firearm to pick up grouse on the way? If so, any recommendations on the firearm?

I ask because the bloody grouse are so tempting, often I can get to near kicking distance! If I bagged one, I'd finally have some meat I harvested myself. Have to admit that last year I was bloody tempted to pull the trigger on the 30-06 when I lined one up. lol

Squamch
09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Slingshot!
or one of those little kids .22s. Badger or rascal or chipmunk...whatever they're called. With .22 shorts so yer not scarin' the big critters away so much!

AgSilver
09-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Or a Chiappa Double Badger...nice little folding 22 over 410. Picked one up this summer at CT...haven't even had a chance to fire it yet, but seems ideal for that. Even if you are tacking on a bunch of extra weight.

lostmind
09-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Hahaha I love the idea of a slingshot. Haven't used one of those since I was 12...

Do you guys carry two rifles? Do you just strap one to your pack?

KodiakHntr
09-08-2016, 03:47 PM
I carried a Barnett Diablo with steel shot for years when I worked predominantly in the bush. A steel bearing will punch through a grouse inside 15 yards if you hit them going with the feathers. It's incredibly similar to instinctive archery, and with practice it is possible to get spooky good with a slingshot.

A pair of mountain roosters on a sheep hunt. One of them shot on the wing. (How's that for sporting??)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/MysteryRanchandMountainRoosters.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/KodiakHntr2/media/MysteryRanchandMountainRoosters.jpg.html)
That said, when I'm calling elk, I carry the boy's TC Hotshot. A hair over 2lbs, and a pocket full of 22 shorts will round out a bag limit of ruffies pretty easily, with not much more sound than a single clap.

StoneChaser
09-09-2016, 07:31 AM
For the 30-06 I've seen stainless adapters to shoot 32 Auto ammo (they work great).

A few of my buddies are using Hammond Game Getters in various calibers also and are pleased with them.

Both are better options for a hunter on the move than packing a second firearm up the mountain.

Some amazing info here. Appreciate it folks!

Seems that an AIR RIFLE would be legal, while an AIR PISTOL isn't due to:

"Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber."

An air pistol is what I was hoping to use, as it is so light and easy to carry. :)

Oh well.

So perhaps I should pose another question:

I am a guy who typically drives up the mountain in the morning, parks and hikes out to spots I think look decent for deer (often totally incorrect but hey, I'm a newb and how else to learn?), hunts on foot all day and then hikes back to my truck and drives to camp at the end of the day. Currently I only carry a 30-06 with me. Would anyone recommend carrying a second firearm to pick up grouse on the way? If so, any recommendations on the firearm?

I ask because the bloody grouse are so tempting, often I can get to near kicking distance! If I bagged one, I'd finally have some meat I harvested myself. Have to admit that last year I was bloody tempted to pull the trigger on the 30-06 when I lined one up. lol

ruger#1
09-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Use a sling shot with marbles. Or steel shot.

09-09-2016, 08:16 AM
isn't 32 Auto prohib?
I have seen those adapters here before in multiple Chamberings,,,, how do they work? not hard on the barrel?

ruger#1
09-09-2016, 09:37 AM
isn't 32 Auto prohib?
I have seen those adapters here before in multiple Chamberings,,,, how do they work? not hard on the barrel? 32 Auto bullets are what he is referring to.

lostmind
09-09-2016, 10:05 AM
The Hammond game getters seem interesting! Time to hit up the LGS

ruger#1
09-09-2016, 10:14 AM
The Hammond game getters seem interesting! Time to hit up the LGS They used to advertise in the hunting regs.

ruger#1
09-09-2016, 10:17 AM
http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/operate1.html

StoneChaser
09-10-2016, 02:33 PM
isn't 32 Auto prohib?
I have seen those adapters here before in multiple Chamberings,,,, how do they work? not hard on the barrel?

Most 32 auto handguns are prohibited (I believe a few target models are legal), but not the ammunition.

They are fantastic, and are simply a machined stainless 30-06 (or any other 30 Cal) case bored out to pass the bullet and recessed at the base to accept the 32 Auto round.

Simply drop the loaded 32 round in the back and chamber the adapter (no barrel issues, as the round is a jacketed 30 cal bullet).

rcar
09-12-2016, 06:20 PM
I talked with a CO about this a few years back. The main issue was the lead pellet not the gun type. It is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with lead. Therefore illegal to hunt grouse with a pellet gun shooting lead pellets...so I was told. I now shoot non lead pellets for grouse when I am hunting. Silent and deadly. I pack a super light "backpacker" .22 pump action pellet gun. I pre-load the pump action gun and just have to slip a pellet into the bolt action and dinner is served.

KodiakHntr
09-12-2016, 06:29 PM
I talked with a CO about this a few years back. The main issue was the lead pellet not the gun type. It is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with lead. Therefore illegal to hunt grouse with a pellet gun shooting lead pellets...so I was told. I now shoot non lead pellets for grouse when I am hunting. Silent and deadly. I pack a super light "backpacker" .22 pump action pellet gun. I pre-load the pump action gun and just have to slip a pellet into the bolt action and dinner is served.

Yeah that's 100% incorrect. You may have misunderstood what the co was saying. It's not legal to hunt migratory birds with lead, but there is no such restriction on upland birds.

AgSilver
09-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Yeah that's 100% incorrect.

This might be my favourite quote from this site so far.

09-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Stone chaser,

I guess that's twice in one thread. I thought that some ammo was prohib due to it only being useable in prohib Guns....
Crap that's twice in my life I have been wrong

BimmerBob
09-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Stone chaser,

I guess that's twice in one thread. I thought that some ammo was prohib due to it only being useable in prohib Guns....
Crap that's twice in my life I have been wrong

There is a confirmed third time bud as twice is sure short! ;)

lostmind
09-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Bought myself a slingshot. Figured it'll be fun anyways. Now to find somewhere safe to practise often...

wideopenthrottle
09-13-2016, 12:47 PM
as a kid (young boyscout) we used to get to use the rifle range for 22 target shooting once a week...I used to collect the lead slugs out of the wooden backstop and hammer them sort of round to use in my slingshot...also on the rail line we used to find spilled iron ore concentrate that came in round balls/pellats that worked great as well...pea gravel was also a great source of ammo as well as old ball bearings and of course marbles

eaglesnester
09-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Air guns can be very lethal. Gamo for instance has a new air rifle in 177 cal that shoots about 1400fps. In light of that on a gun rights web sight I read about a 10 year old child that was hit in the head with a pellet and died. This tragic accident just happened recently in the states. In the lower 48 they are using them to hunt rabbits and squirrels and they do tend to be very serious about their squirrel hunting because they are darn good eaten. These new powerful accurate air guns are just the thing to hunt grouse with if you are a good shot.

boxhitch
09-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Small and compact ? Look up the Crossman Doomsday bug out air rifle. Essentially a popular 1322 with a butt stock and slightly longer barrel.
Had one for a while ,wishing it had a better sight then looked hard at the leaf and it can be flipped to have a rear peep, much better.
Have yet to slay a grouse but it works on starlings and flickers, so I'm told ....

Also Crossman Backpacker air rifle with standard barrel

lostmind
10-09-2016, 02:18 PM
So, I bought a slingshot. Impressive how quickly you become decent at using one. Took a couple hours and I was hitting 9/10 on a 1l pop bottle at 30 yards. Putting nice dents in the plastic, so I figured it would pierce feathers and skin.

Took it in the bush. Shot at a grouse about 20-25yards away. Missed. Grouse didn't notice. Shot again. Grouse takes a direct hit on the back, falls out of the tree. I go walking over... grouse flies away as I am about a step away.

I think I need larger shot to take out a grouse. Oops.

samwyse
10-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Regarding the 30-06 as too much. There is an "adapter" out there that lets you place a .22 percussion into a modified 30-06 cartridge and shoot a cast lead ball that fits your specific chamber. I saw it being sold at the Chilliwack HACS gun show at Heritage park. The designer (and salesman) claimed it was for shoot small game, for dinner, while out looking for big game. Have not used myself but maybe someone else here can attest.

boxhitch
10-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Use a sling shot with marbles. Or steel shot.

So, I bought a slingshot. ..... Grouse takes a direct hit on the back, falls out of the tree. I go walking over... grouse flies away as I am about a step away.......Oops.Ta Da !

Use enough gun

lostmind
10-10-2016, 12:47 PM
After that I switched to my buddies 410 and no issues. Still, the 410 is louder than f*** and only usable as a backup gun when truck hunting. Wouldn't be able to carry it with me along with my 30-06...

troutseeker
10-11-2023, 09:20 AM
Where I hunt the shots on deer/moose are never very long as it is so damn bushy. But there area lot of grouse to be had,, so I use my BRNO combo gun. It's a 12 gauge over .30-06. The rifle barrel is plenty accurate with open sights up to 100 meters.

mike31154
10-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Seems air guns have come a long way recently. Current regs page 13 chart for Legal Hunting Methods includes a new column (green) for AIR. Not only may an Air 'firearm' be used to hunt upland game, but also larger animals, even bears! There is a note 8 that applies to the larger game which states it must be .35 caliber or larger.

I have a number of airguns in my arsenal, the newest being classed as a firearm requiring a PAL. Because I purchased it recently, it had to go through the firearms transfer protocol lol. It's now technically registered vs some of my larger caliber hunting rifles acquired before a transfer # was required. Made by Diana it's a Kar98 Mauser replica in .177. The fps puts it over the threshold to require a PAL. Too heavy to carry for hunting though, but it's very accurate with a cheap Tasco scope on it.

Last few minutes of the vid include footage with some cool e-bikes... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQrFsGhEGwc

guntech
10-15-2023, 01:02 PM
The title of this thread should read "Air Rifle for Hunting Grouse"

Gateholio
10-15-2023, 01:11 PM
This thread is from 2016 and there have been changes made to what is a legal hunting weapon. Make sure you are updated! :)