PDA

View Full Version : 6-09 moose LEH late draw

Vanislehiker
09-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Hey guys I was lucky enough to pull a late season October 27- Nov 15th bull moose draw. I was wondering if anyone could bounce some ideas off me regarding the area, I realize it's a large but fairly heavily hunted area?? With the open season just before we get a chance. Any help would be greatly appreciated as its my first ever draw/ time hunting moose. I will be setting up a wall tent so willing to get in a ways if need be

Thanks again

Whonnock Boy
09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
I've hunted it for the last 6 or 7 years with some success, but that was during the rut LEH and GOS, never the late season. It has been hit and miss. I would hope for a bunch of snow up top. I am curious how you make out.

Brno22F
09-06-2016, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, you can hunt the general open season in Region 6 in addition to your draw. As long as you have the license and tag you are good to go. If you have extra time available, it would add an extra week to your opportunity.

Vanislehiker
09-06-2016, 07:35 PM
I will definitely update this thread after our trip win or lose but it's hard to lose either way, love just being out there putting in the time. I don't think we are gunna go for the open season but will be there every day of the draw if need be. Fingers crossed

Whonnock Boy
09-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Do you have an area that interests you, or just winging it?

Smiz
09-06-2016, 07:44 PM
I would hunt the open season as well and if no contact gives you an extra couple of weeks to find one.

decker9
09-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Iv guided moose a bit up there, always pulled the big bulls out in the last 2 weeks of the season. I'll pm you some info in the next day here.

Vanislehiker
09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys so much for all the assistance I surely need it haha

Caribou_lou
09-06-2016, 09:53 PM
I've never hunted 609 late but have 608 so it's really the same story. If I were you I wouldn't bother with open season. It is truly something you don't need to experience... But a late tag is great! If I were you I'd plan on hunting until the 15th. How long do you plan on your hunt to be? The later you can come the better. If your fortunate enough to get decent snow you will harvest a bull. Like decker said. Some big ones come out late. I'd hunt high cuts below swaps if possible. And I would suggest areas but don't hunt that way often. Lots of area with moose all over it. Looking forward to hearing how you do.

Vanislehiker
09-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Sounds good and I have 2 weeks plus the weekends booked off so I'm fully commited. I'll head up on the 26th I'm sure and see how it goes

1savager
09-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Be mindful of snow, I have been up there late draw with hunters that have been up there an awful lot more. They had to coma-dear a bulldozer to get out one year because it snowed 3 to 4 feet over night.(every hunter in the area was stranded) One year when I was up we also had to break camp cause of heavy snowfall. Tire chains would be a plus and a shovel mandatory. The large snow falls definitely drive the moose down but access to those moose can be limited. If it starts to snow heavily I would definitely consider getting your camp located closer to a road that is being plowed. Last open season was chaos up there with a limited number of bulls taken. It was the first time I really wish I had hunter orange. Late draw can be a different hunt entirely a lot slower pace. You'll find in the colder temperatures the moose travelling to the lakes or open water in the evenings for a drink.

Good luck.
Keep us posted !

Vanislehiker
09-07-2016, 05:45 AM
Oh wow that's something to keep in mind for sure. Yikes. That would turn into quite the adventure in a hurry I could see. I'll have to look into what conditions were last year to maybe get a rough idea of what I'm in for

Andrew Bloomenthal
09-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Good luck with your hunt VanIsleHiker!

Whonnock Boy
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Every year is different, but as savager mentioned, you have to be ready to abandon ship if the snow doesn't stop. That year he is talking about had hunters abandoned all over the region. Last year was relatively warm, with no snow, in fact, I got myself stuck in the mud on a new road, not the snow.

Oh wow that's something to keep in mind for sure. Yikes. That would turn into quite the adventure in a hurry I could see. I'll have to look into what conditions were last year to maybe get a rough idea of what I'm in for

Downwind
09-07-2016, 07:16 PM

Last years conditions won't mean anything for what this year could be. The snowfall that locked everyone in there was during the open season week. You're going in after that. I've been up there and had every day -10 one year and +28 the next year on the same week. Like was suggested just be ready to popped smoke and get out if the snow really starts to fly.
I've never hunted the late season up there so not sure about where to point you but find a good feed source I'm sure you'll see some moose. Goodluck!

Brno22F
09-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Last years conditions won't mean anything for what this year could be. The snowfall that locked everyone in there was during the open season week. You're going in after that. I've been up there and had every day -10 one year and +28 the next year on the same week. Like was suggested just be ready to popped smoke and get out if the snow really starts to fly.
I've never hunted the late season up there so not sure about where to point you but find a good feed source I'm sure you'll see some moose. Goodluck!

Lived here since 1980. Downwind is right. No predicting from year to year what the weather will be like. The year being discussed earlier in this thread (2006 I think) was very unusual. We had a helluva blizzard before the end of GOS that year and the snow stayed till spring. It is the earliest snowfall I can remember.
Last year we had a green Christmas.
Best to be prepared for snow regardless. Carry a good set of tire chains, a shovel or 2, chainsaw and tow chain or rope and booster cables. Most of this stuff will likely never leave the truck but it really sucks when you need it and don't have it. It would also be wise to put your winter tires on the vehicle before the trip and make sure the chains fit.
Good luck on your hunt

Vanislehiker
09-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks a lot and I will be prepared for snow you bet I'm hoping for it lol one of my favourite times to hunt is in the snow makes everything that much more fun ( even if it means harder regarding certain things)

Whonnock Boy
09-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Be sure to keep us updated. I'm looking forward to it. I've always entered the rut leh, but never late season just for the fact that I like to get some Stealheading in at the same time. I'm betting it will be good!

Darksith
09-08-2016, 09:25 AM
The moose as said previously will start to migrate or get pushed by the snow. Don't over commit to one particular spot, if the moose are there they are there, if they aren't they probably aren't and you should keep looking for a better spot. They could easily still be hanging out in the timber, but I suspect by then they will have recovered from the rut and be looking for feed. Decker is gonna point you in the right direction for sure.

juliuslingard
10-24-2021, 06:34 PM
hey decker9, looking for some tips for late season moose with a bow in 6-09