PDA

View Full Version : November Moose

sausage lover
09-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Our hunting party was lucky to get a draw for moose in 3-38 for november this year :D Wondering if some of the seasoned moose hunters could shed some light on hunting them that time of year. Do they come down lower in elevation in the later part of the season or stay up high? Wife and I have done a bunch of scouting and found a few spots that look good with lots of turds and a large antler shed. Any tips for our late season moose hunt would be much appreciated.

604redneck
09-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Our hunting party was lucky to get a draw for moose in 3-38 for november this year :D Wondering if some of the seasoned moose hunters could shed some light on hunting them that time of year. Do they come down lower in elevation in the later part of the season or stay up high? Wife and I have done a bunch of scouting and found a few spots that look good with lots of turds and a large antler shed. Any tips for our late season moose hunt would be much appreciated.
If you found a shed you should find moose there that time of year

MB_Boy
09-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Look for willow swamps and that type of area or spots with good browse.....they'll be feeding trying to gain strength/stores up after the rut.

ryanonthevedder
09-06-2016, 11:31 AM
You could try some light calling too. I called one over in November not far from 3-38. We have seen them all over in early Nov. Up high in a foot of snow as well as down in the swamps. When the weather hits don't get caught way in the back; when the snow comes it can go quickly! I got the Oct bull this year though so I am feeling pretty good.

Rob Chipman
09-06-2016, 12:13 PM
I've found sheds up high. Stands to reason they're up high late in the season. Based on that, and on reading about moose behaviour, I've hiked slightly higher and further back, and bingo! Found moose. And, they were bunching up in bachelor groups just like the books say they will.

Surprise, surprise, I always have more success finding moose where I find moose turds, tracks, sheds and chopped off willow tips.

Like Ryan says, weather is an issue. We got snow and a 15 degree temp drop on last November's hunt. We were walking, so no biggy, but if our vehicles were behind that snow on a bad road? Could have been different.

russm86
09-06-2016, 12:37 PM
A couple years ago my uncle and I had a draw for November in the north end of 3-28, across the highway from yours (Thuya Lakes area), and the only bulls we found were still up at the very top in over 2' of snow. We saw nothing at all down lower but once we found where they were, within a day we got a very nice big bull (for this region anyways) out of there. With the 2+' of snow on top of 2' of windfalls it took us 8 hours to quarter and get him back to the truck and it was the toughest piece of shoe leather I've ever eaten, won't be doing that again... lol.

markt308
09-06-2016, 01:17 PM
find them red willows! they will be hanging around there for feed. in theory at least

sausage lover
09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Good pointers fellas preciate it!