PDA

View Full Version : Region 8-3 to 8-7 Elk

northbc
09-05-2016, 07:16 PM
where are they

Whonnock Boy
09-05-2016, 07:24 PM
It is a tough task, and from what I hear, further east has been a tougher go as well, but definitely more elk. If it was me, I would head to the Kootenays. Either way, invest in an area, and it will pay off.... eventually.

Steelpulse
09-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Ya much lower elk populations there. No one will tell you where they see them around there, basically impossible to even get a word haha but they're obviously there. Do a few searches on here and you will find the names of some fsr that people have seen elk on but best to go Far East or just put in a ton of time deer hunting the area you are inquiring about and be ready to switch gears for elk the moment you see some or find sign that's reasonable to hunt. I'll be hunting the same areas as well but I won't tell you if I find one except in a photo after a shoot it. But my plan is deer hunting looking for large bucks and maybe coming across a 6x elk

Iron Glove
09-06-2016, 09:49 AM
They are around but not exactly Mule Deer numbers.
We see the odd ones around Princeton, came across a herd of maybe 15 N.W. of Princeton a few years back but private property, a week after closure and only having .410's for grouse kinda kiboshed that.
See them the odd time South of the Highway between Princeton and Hedley.
Hard work involved.

goinghunting
09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
I want too shoot an elk around Princeton. I have all of october free no responsibilities no commitments. I've heard its a pretty tough task but I have the time to invest. It's my second year hunting, I was successful last year with 3 bucks, but I realize I know nothing. I really want to learn and have been reading as much as I can, but I've only ever seen 2 cows on the side of the highway around there.

Is this a realistic goal or should I just make the drive to somewhere that has a better chance of success.

There are elk there just not going to get much help from the guys who know it because of the close proximity to the coast so you'll have to put in the leg work yourself and it will be a lot more rewarding doing it that way anyhow. Goodluck!

dragonslayer
09-07-2016, 05:36 PM
You will not get much a response on this forum from Princeton locals on this site , they watch the elk and know where they roughly are, watch them all year, I wish you good luck . Been there done that.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
A buddy of mine started hunting the area a few years back and although unsuccessful, has apparently found animals and had chances both last year and the one previous. I really don't know much for detail, but I know he's back there this year, so it can't be impossible. I'd give it a go! Your first years may not pan out, but the only way to eventually have good chances is to invest some time. Good luck!

allan
09-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Best way to scout a new area, is to find where the elk are crossing the highway Regularly , talk to a couple truckers who drive that way all the time, then with that info use google earth to plot likely routes the elk are using In the bush.
Then lace up your boots and start exploring.
I have never seen any advice on where the elk actually are posted on this site. Considering there are only 7 posts and 600 views you can imagine that there would be enough people to start a rave in the bush if some one posted the exact spot and time to be in the bush to shoot an elk.
i started hunting An area about 7 years ago after talking to truckers/loggers and then wearing out a pair of boots.
Last year I had it dialed in. Since I was bow hunting the thermals took me an extra year to figure out best plan of attack. This year I'm sidelined due to injuries. I won't even take my best friend to my good spot because he never put the time in to help scout. So I will only say to you good luck and get off the roads BC there are lots of opportunities out there if you put in the effort and time.

09-08-2016, 12:03 PM
You will not get much a response on this forum from Princeton locals on this site , they watch the elk and know where they roughly are, watch them all year, I wish you good luck . Been there done that.

You cant blame them either, they put boots to ground where they live trying to find a low odds species.... I wouldn't hand it all away either.
Fact is they are there and they are hard to dial in... but not an unrealistic goal if you put boot to ground...sooo.... go get it done..... they are mostly in thick shit from what I read....

Elkhound
09-08-2016, 01:45 PM
yup sorry. Our group got 1 6pt elk in years of hunting this area. Its a ton of time and not much success. They are there. But I wish you luck

Weatherby Fan
09-08-2016, 02:38 PM
There is Elk spread out in all those sub
regions, it's best to do some leg work and research, when you find sign or cows key in on that area, we were hunting Mule deer and found a 4 pt Mule deer buck with some cow elk in Sept....yes he was confused, so he died and a few days later a 6 pt bull died in the same area, so you never know where you will find them !

ItsGrouseTalk
09-08-2016, 03:05 PM
It is really exciting when you begin to dial in on elk behaviours in those regions though! Very rewarding