PDA

View Full Version : Need boots bad.

MichelD
09-05-2016, 11:44 AM
I just got back from three days of hard climbing uphill on steep slopes and then sidehill gouging across nearly vertical alpine meadows and my feet are sore.

Time to dump these German army surplus boots I've had for years even though I got a $150 re-sole job recently. they don't fit right, rub my heels on the uphill, kill my toes on the downhill and don't support my ankles on the sideways. They're okay for easy walking on flattish ground and I don't recall any issues from hunting in Regions 6 and 5 last year but once it gets steep, I don't like 'em any more.

So:

What boots support your ankles (I've got four screws in one) , don't rub if they fit right, have durable all season all-terrain soles and can be made water repellent. Affordable (under $300) would be nice but at this point I might spring for more with a good recommendation.

Meindl?

Lowa?

Kennetrek?

Others?

Rhyno
09-05-2016, 11:51 AM
I loved my Meindl's and currently have Lowa's...my ankles are wimpy, both have good support. Unfortunately I think you are going to be closer to the $400 range. Good boots are worth every penny!

Sunzuki
09-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Irish Setters have been my favorites lately.
Check the big box stores.
Sometimes WSS has a decent sale on these in different models.

Surrey Boy
09-05-2016, 11:58 AM
I loved my Meindl's and currently have Lowa's...my ankles are wimpy, both have good support. Unfortunately I think you are going to be closer to the $400 range. Good boots are worth every penny!

Truth!

Or the Like/Thanks button.

RackStar
09-05-2016, 12:25 PM
I got elk frackers. Third season with them, great boots, but I will be buying meindls in winter for next years mountain hunts

rocksteady
09-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Meindl Canada Pro (8" top".

awesome ankle support and no break in needed.

Hammerhead
09-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Couldn't agree more. Also have both and been on crutches twice per ankle. You will forget about the money you spent if your happy with your boots, Go try some on you won't regret it..
HH

srupp
09-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Hmm use Meindle Canadas..just be aware the tall boots don't move at all at ankles, very firm comfortable boot.great support..never one blister I can recall .just that they feel different than say Ken trek boot.great traction
Steven

monasheemountainman
09-05-2016, 01:42 PM
scarpa wrengels is what I have, tough to find a stiffer boot for the ankles. but theyre the real deal I would only buy them if you mostly hunt in steep country... I have a different pair for normal hunting

steelslinger
09-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Spend 250 many times or 400 once. The extra value pays you back in distance hiked, feet not giving out and life length of the boots. Go premium for boots and optics.

Tikka.300.wsm
09-05-2016, 02:02 PM
I've had the Irish Setters for a couple of seasons and they did keep my feet dry but my heel would rub. After a long day my feet were sore. Recently bit the bullet and picked up a pair of Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX with Super feet fitted insoles. Couldn't be happier with the fit and support. Spent more than 300 but well worth the money. Buy once cry once...

HarryToolips
09-05-2016, 02:23 PM
I've used Canadian army surplus boots for years, and after using them in the military and for hiking and hunting, I've never had an issue and they are extremely durable...I would guess you just didn't have the right fit..

rocksteady
09-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Forgot to add.. Meindl cost me about $500 locally, but a pair usually lasts close to 10 years and I spend probably 250 days a year beating on them, between hunting season, having horses and fighting forest fires. No blisters on break in are a definite bonus.

I am very abusive to footwear and would recommend these any day...

BRvalley
09-05-2016, 04:34 PM
As mentioned, might need to up the budget a little bit, "buy once, cry once".....but could get lucky with a good sale or finding low mile used

lots of good brands already mentioned, but feet are a very personal thing, try on as many pairs as you can and buy what feels best for you

also comsider budgeting for new insoles, most boots come with crap insoles

D Tho
09-05-2016, 06:59 PM
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX. I have had horrible blister problems in the past with other boots, but nothing with these. Definitely worth the small splurge above my budget to get them.

It's more of a personal thing. For sure try on as many as you can and as much as it sucks at the time, you won't regret spending the little bit extra for superior boots no matter what brand you end up buying.

Everett
09-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Ryan has it dialled Meindl, lowa or han-wag is what you need and you are going to be looking at $400 thats just what it costs for good boots these days.

Everett
09-05-2016, 09:47 PM
I've used Canadian army surplus boots for years, and after using them in the military and for hiking and hunting, I've never had an issue and they are extremely durable...I would guess you just didn't have the right fit..

I wouldn't walk to the pub in a pair CF boots horrible bloody things the main reason my ankles are screwed up.

HarryToolips
09-05-2016, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't walk to the pub in a pair CF boots horrible bloody things the main reason my ankles are screwed up.
Hmm definitely not the experience I had/have with the them..with insoles they're very comfortable..

Skull Hunter
09-06-2016, 06:35 AM
I have both Lowas and Meindl's, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd highly recommend the meindls from Cabelas simply due to their warranty.

Whatever you get, make sure you learn to care for them properly. The boots will last a long time so long as they're cared for properly. Nothing worse than spending nearly $500 on a pair of boots to only have them last you a season or 2.

Fella
09-06-2016, 06:44 AM
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX. I have had horrible blister problems in the past with other boots, but nothing with these. Definitely worth the small splurge above my budget to get them.

It's more of a personal thing. For sure try on as many as you can and as much as it sucks at the time, you won't regret spending the little bit extra for superior boots no matter what brand you end up buying.
Yep I have these boots too, awesome boots! I had a pair of prospectors prior to this and I'd be limping after a 5k hike. I did 14 km in my Lowas one day and probably could have done another 10 and still be ok. I also have weak ankles and haven't rolled my ankle once since getting these boots.

Ron.C
09-06-2016, 06:59 AM
I use Hanwag Alaskans. This will be my 4th season with them and just had them re-soled.

Great boots.used primarily on backpack hunts in rough country for goats.

BigD_83
09-06-2016, 11:02 AM
The thing with footwear is that you have to buy for fit first. Once you find a manufacturer or brand that works for your foot shape/arch, then start looking into what they offer in terms of function.

This might change over time. I was pretty much limited to LaSportiva shoes and boots for a number of years until my early 30s, and when I found my arches falling a bit, post-climbing life, then Scarpa boots started working better for me.

I've moved on this year to a hunting boot in the Elk Tracker, and while I find them pillow comfortable on the sole, my skinny ankles are having some issues with a bit of pressure at the eyelets. I think that might be overcome with a different lacing pattern.

There is absolutely no substitute for test-fitting footwear. Take as much time as you can trying brands and models. Often the brands will have different fit options as well, in terms of width and last shape. Finding a good shop with someone trained in boot fitting is worth a few extra tens of dollars in buying new footwear.

Choose wisely.

selvir
09-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I got Scarpa mountain boots for sale over 500 will sell for 300 pm for info if interested