PDA

View Full Version : Spring Turkey Hunt 2016-Special Thanks to 300H&H - Take a newbie hunting

RobW
09-04-2016, 12:40 PM
In the Spring of 2016 I got an opportunity to go on my first hunting trip ever.
My daughter and I took our courses together and now we both had our hunting licence.
Being complete newbies we read as much as we could and acquired all the fire power and camo we thought we needed and set a date for a Spring turkey hunt.
To my surprise (and everyone else’s too) she agreed to spend 9 days out in the BC woods hunting with her old man.
While getting ready for turkey season I ran across a fella on the BC Hunting website that was super knowledgeable and seemed to put upwith my questions no matter how small or insignificant they seemed to be. He always responded and what he said just made sense.
Before we knew it he had offered to meet with us during ourhunt and share some of his experience with us.
Sure enough turkey season 2016 arrives (I hadn’t slept in about 2-3 days) and we take off on our adventure.
Upon arriving in the general area we planned to hunt…we started scoping out the area…and actually locating some birds!
The whole time relying on the intelligence received by our new turkey hunting friend and things that we had read about or watched on the many hours of DVDs.
After striking out on our first couple of days…our hunting partner called and offered to meet with us the next morning.
That next morning we met at the side of the road at 3:00amintroduced ourselves to the fella we had been talking to for the last couple months.
This is the day that we learned more about turkey hunting than all the reading and all the DVDs combined….we learned what SOFT calls are…we learned decoy set up and strategy…we learned signs to look for….we learned signs of the different kinds of wildlife that we were sharing the woods with and so much more.
Between the meeting of another turkey hunting enthusiast,the actual hunting and the time spent with family…this was by far one of the best times EVER!
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to 300H&H forhelping to make this last Spring turkey season one to remember.
Your sacrifice in meeting two complete newbies at 3am and sharing some of your knowledge was priceless. And something you did not need to do…I would like to say Thanks again.
To all of you experienced hunters out there….if you get the chance to take out and share your experience with other new hunters…it is not awaste of time.
Thanks to 300H&H I will do the same thing if I can and hopefully get a new hunter hooked on this awesome outdoor lifestyle.
Thanks to my daughter and 300H&H for a truly unforgettable2016 turkey hunt

RobW

Dash
09-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Love this :) So great to hear. You will definitely cherish those memories. There are some pretty amazing people in this hunting community.

300H&H
10-10-2016, 12:51 PM
WOW....I can`t believe I missed this !
It was a pleasure taking you and your daughter out hunting `thunder chickens`.
While we did see some turkeys going in, unfortunately we could not get then out in front of you.
As you now know....turkeys can be challenging.
I was so impressed your your eagerness to learn about these birds, but I was even more impressed with your daughter. What a trooper.
Up early and hunting all day, she`s awesome. And her finding a fresh 4 point WT shed, very cool.
It was good to hear that you finally got close to the birds near the end of your hunt. I'm very impressed.
Next year turkey & bear, you up for it

markomoose
10-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Kool story RobW!Good on you 300H&H for taking a new hunter into the great outdoors.I'm taking a friend out end of October.Although he hasn't hunted in over 25 years he is a double amputee with prosthetics.Hoping to find him a meat buck. Cheers Mark