PDA

View Full Version : Cache Creek Mulie Hunt

BigSmoke
09-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Trying to plan a Mulie hunt this fall with a buddy of mine near cache creek. Neither of us has hunted this area before, so I'm hoping some of you wouldn't mind sharing a few words of wisdom or personal experiences with a couple green horns.

RayHill
09-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Try Savona

plumberjustin
09-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I've been hunting cache creek for a few years now, and each season we come home with deer. Like anywhere, there are pockets and corridors where the deer are typically found. There's also a pretty descent bounty of hares and grouse in the area. The logging activity is getting crazy up there, so it's definitely getting tougher to find the big guys, but they're there. Be prepared for some longer shots, as the areas around loon lake and south are quite open. Just get out there, plunge into the thick and explore. Good luck.

BigSmoke
09-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the advise. We're planning on parking the truck and just hoofing it for a few days. Pretty much the same way we hunt them in other areas. This sound like a decent idea? Is it mostly private land around there?

russm
09-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Theres quite a bit of private/ranch land in the area, the deer seem to wise up and find it pretty quickly too, I'll be up that direction next week.

takla1
09-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Anything fenced along the hyway corridor will be private land...theres some good parking just off the hyway with crown land behind ,get away from the roads and look for a saddle between the mnts and get back in there 1-2 mnts back,thats where the game aren't being pushed ,make sure your prepped for a few days at least
its works...some of those areas before C C had a burn go thru a few yrs back and will be good
good luck
takla

ruger#1
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Go into blue earth lake. Or go in behind the garbage dump. Keep going until you hit Upper Hat creek rd. Then hunt around that area. Some big deer and lots of bears. The deer like it in the popular groves. They hold up sometimes in there. Lots of grouse. And a few whitetail. Last time I was there. I found wolf tracks,. Look around the swamps. Moose are there also. Do a lot of scoping in the open areas. Most of all. Enjoy the experience.

09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Lots of FN pressure around B E lake from both sides, last time there the shooting was middle of the night. Found three gut piles next morning .

ruger#1
09-04-2016, 12:46 PM
If you can get around the north end of the lake. Then you are in upper hat creek. Lots of area there to hunt. Upper Hat Creek ranch. I always met the manager. And never had any problems.

mulieaddiction
09-05-2016, 07:06 PM
I went behind the dumb 2 times and tryed diffent road both always ended up by a lake and it was all flat there and all open never seen anything maybe i wasnt in the right area? I went few times nov

russm
09-10-2016, 07:29 PM
If you do go to cache creek watch your camp, i had someone come through when i was away from camp amd walk off with my camp stove this weekend, why they took that and not the $90 cabelas chair i dont know.

steveo
09-10-2016, 08:02 PM
If you do go to cache creek watch your camp, i had someone come through when i was away from camp amd walk off with my camp stove this weekend, why they took that and not the $90 cabelas chair i dont know.That sucks, I guess they were not tired just hungry.

tackdriver
09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
My grandfather had a nice buck stolen from him in the middle of the night up there 30 years ago....

TravisC
09-10-2016, 09:58 PM
317 holds a decent number of deer it is however hit extremely hard with road hunting you could sit on the side of the hwy at night and its quite the light show of high speed night hunting up in those hills. Had a beer with a CO while there in town once and it was one of the spots he really disliked because of the native hunting at night and the proximity to Vancouver with the weekend gong shows of people that were there more for the party and guns then the hunting part of it. That being said there is a very good number of deer just 50-100yards in the tree lines at the farthest corner of the slashes or from where the roads end. Those deer are smart like that. Stay off the roads and you'll find deer. I've been going there for years and I'd say my bag success is high 90's% all from hiking. Good Luck and have fun.

CRhunter
09-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I'd try loon lake area,just follow the road that goes up there past white moose resort, take the left dirt road thet crosses the ranch, once your across you can hunt, took a doe there a few years back with my leh draw, pops missed a big buck, and someone shot a 4 point ahead of us on the road the next day,
. Lots of deer, but ALOT of people, lots of ground to cover good luck!

browningboy
09-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Loon lake is a zoo now, I would go Savona as it may be a bit quieter

f350ps
09-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Lots of Huge bucks coming out of the Loon Lake area the last few years, lots of pressure but lots of deer, it's the new Clearwater, good luck! K

ruger#1
09-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Lots of Huge bucks coming out of the Loon Lake area the last few years, lots of pressure but lots of deer, it's the new Clearwater, good luck! K Its part of a migration route.

russm
09-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Its part of a migration route.

Yep, been working to figure this area out for 4 or 5 years now, finally have it figured out pretty good. Theres been times I've been up there and theres deer everywhere and its a total ghost town the next day.

Weatherby Fan
09-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Lots of Huge bucks coming out of the Loon Lake area the last few years, lots of pressure but lots of deer, it's the new Clearwater, good luck! K

Our family shoots at least four monsters a year there ;-)
190 class bucks running all over that area, it's so thick with Monster bucks Dana quit hunting in Clearwater and rents my cabin on Loon Lake !!!!

ruger#1
09-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Yep, been working to figure this area out for 4 or 5 years now, finally have it figured out pretty good. Theres been times I've been up there and theres deer everywhere and its a total ghost town the next day. Been hunting west of loon lake with my father since the seventies. It was wall to wall motor homes in certain areas. Was a doe season back then. I have shoot a lot of big deer in that area.

takla1
09-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Been hunting west of loon lake with my father since the seventies. It was wall to wall motor homes in certain areas. Was a doe season back then. I have shoot a lot of big deer in that area.

Still remember the 4 point double header morning there helloween weekend some yrs back
was lucky they were down hill drags,,they were some heavey mulies

takla

Bugle M In
09-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Loon lake was the place to go, but it became so over run with hunters that many left.
Not sure how it is these days.
Everything is near logged out on that plateau now.
In my opinion, the logging changed the routes that deer migrated thru years ago.
Although, the trees will grow back, and things will always change.
Biggest difference, like many places in the province, is the lack of "snow fall" that used to push the deer down,
and cause them to be more densified together, which hunters benefitted from back than.
Now, with the lack of snow, deer are more spread out.
Back than, the season was open even longer, which was also be beneficial to the hunters benefit, as the snow would just keep piling up.
November would have at least a foot of snow, with the plateau, being waist deep, but now you are just lucky
to see snow, before the season ends.
Lots of FN in the area as well....and will leave that at that.....but it is the same reason I left the Merrit area years ago.
Was too hard to watch and accept.
Biggest difference, other than all the logging up there.....is Wolf are abundant now....never existed back than.

REMINGTON JIM
09-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Our family shoots at least four monsters a year there ;-)
190 class bucks running all over that area, it's so thick with Monster bucks Dana quit hunting in Clearwater and rents my cabin on Loon Lake !!!!

LMFFAO ! were gonna be run over with Hunters now this NOV there Roy jr ! :wink: RJ

browningboy
09-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Hey I have a cabin on loon so hit hat creek instead!

nikirk
09-18-2016, 05:19 PM
make sure you pick up a whitey tag to. i got a white tail in behind the dump seen lots of muleys there to. what we did was drive up the hwy and take the logging roads