PDA

View Full Version : Is making the trip to the Dease Lake area worth it?

JIL_24/7
09-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Hello Everyone. Just trying to plan out my hunting season here. I am going to basically guide a buddy and my wife (they both got the same draw!) for moose LEH at the end of September in an area where I might get a chance at a mountain goat, but other than that it will be up to 10 days of working for others. That is fine with me because I love just being out, but what is really neat this year is that I have vacation time left after that for another good hunt. I can probably go for 10 more days anytime between October 7-20. I have a contact who has everything set up around Telegraph Creek meaning I wouldn't have to do anything except drive to region 6-22, but that is a SERIOUS drive! Is it worth it? He seems to think there are moose everywhere. I could also head to an area I know in region 4 because elk will still be open and the whitetail antlerless season will be at that time. Finally, I could save gas and just go to my areas near Princeton. Region 6 feels like an adventure, but I am in the end primarily a meat hunter and an adventure without filling the freezer is not a great idea. Thoughts? Experiences?

emerson
09-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Are you boating on the Stikine? Or some other river? 2 yr ago I hunted 6-23 Dease River area hard for a week to see and shoot 1 bull. Telegraph doesn't have FSRs to drive. It's hike or boat. I grew up there. A 2 day drive each way leaves 4-6 days MAX hunting. Without a riverboat that's slim odds, unless your contact lives and hunts there a lot, like his back yard.

boxhitch
09-04-2016, 12:53 AM
an adventure without filling the freezer is not a great ideaYou summed up your point of view right there. Everyone 'hunts' for their own reasons.

Wrj
09-04-2016, 09:06 AM
We stopped in at Dease on our way out from a Fly-In up there this week...had a breif 2-day look around for moose before heading home, but still a few weeks early. The only thing I'd keep in the back of my mind while "rut hunting" would be the very good possibility of Roadblocks, specifically between Dease and Telegraph.

emerson
09-04-2016, 10:53 AM
We stopped in at Dease on our way out from a Fly-In up there this week...had a breif 2-day look around for moose before heading home, but still a few weeks early. The only thing I'd keep in the back of my mind while "rut hunting" would be the very good possibility of Roadblocks, specifically between Dease and Telegraph.
This is something to think about, unless your contact is hardcore local.

Darksith
09-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Every hunt is an adventure. There are no guarantees and I think you will be hard pressed anywhere in bc to find moose everywhere without local knowledge or your own experience in a certain area. Go for an adventure, year 1 is a reconnaissance mission with the chance of getting Lucky. Year 2 if you return will have much better odds of filling that freezer.

So don't go somewhere that you will be hard pressed to return too bc of distance or whatever. Pick somewhere you can see making your home away from home

srupp
09-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Hmmm Oct 7th should still see a week of the rut..decent chances..however recent hunters from Dease encountered cooler, wetter weather..could for tell of Oct snow..we are flying out of the mountains Dease..Atlin..expecting cold wet snowy conditions..our flight out of the mountains Oct 10...calling on the lakes or rivers can be productive but most easy places have been hit hard..
Srupp