PDA

View Full Version : Youth hunt dates suck

delboybc
09-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Hi All

Just have to vent.

Youth hunt dates totally suck, given that most youth are in high school, why did they have to pick dates that coincide exactly with the week before and after school starts.

I have to say that with our high school these are one of the two busiest weeks of the year and makes it really difficult to plan a multi day trip away. Would it make a huge difference to the wildlife population if it was the 3rd or 4th week in August?

brian
09-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Your going to learn way more on a hunt then you ever will in the first week of school, just saying!

delboybc
09-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Your going to learn way more on a hunt then you ever will in the first week of school, just saying!

This is true but convincing the kids of this is the hard thing

coplin
09-03-2016, 01:38 PM
think the whole concept is stupid anyways. no seperate bag limit whats the point?

curt
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
what i think sucks is that youth are running around the bush the same time guys are trying to bow hunt it should be bows 1st then kids then open IMO

coplin
09-03-2016, 02:00 PM
ya should be no rifles at all during bow. wouldn't mind if youth was out there learning bow however as long as they are QUIET

Spy
09-03-2016, 02:16 PM
what i think sucks is that youth are running around the bush the same time guys are trying to bow hunt it should be bows 1st then kids then open IMO
X2 could not agree more ! Best part is making a stalk on an animal, get within range and have someone shooting over your head from 300 yards away. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put bow season and youth season together was an idiot.

whitespringer
09-03-2016, 02:45 PM
I completely agree about the youth season timing. There is no worse time for teenage students than the first two weeks of September. As for the bow hunters, BC stands for BIG COUNTRY. Leave the big open cut blocks to the kids and find some bush where you can make a proper stalk. Room for everyone I would think.

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Jeeeezzzusss keeerhisst!

First, you have 3 months to bow hunt.

Second, the youth season is meant to encourage new, young hunters into our way of life. Something we desperately need.

Third, if you are hunting in areas that have a large amount of youth hunters, you are in the wrong spots. There is plenty of places to bow hunt where you won't see a soul, including youths!

Four, youths need time and space to do their thing. In fact, they don't need to worry about some bow hunters creeping up on them while they themselves are trying to harvest an animal.

Five, get further off the road and hike. Most youths are prone to staying close to the roads.

Six, I thought bow hunters did it for the challenge? Are youths throwing you off your game?

Seven, jealousy and animosity between user groups will get us no where, and it's been proven time and again.

Eight, when was the last time a hunter was shot and killed by another in BC? Maybe you should be wearing blaze.

Nine, give your heads a shake.

Ten, Spy, you're the idiot.

X2 could not agree more ! Best part is making a stalk on an animal, get within range and have someone shooting over your head from 300 yards away. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put bow season and youth season together was an idiot.

Surrey Boy
09-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Check your entitlement.

Bow hunters have a special season, and the entire GOS, and special areas too, but it's not enough?

Surrey Boy
09-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Whonnock Boy beat me to it.

OP, I sympathize with your frustration at the idiocy of Crown bureacrats.

It's part of the anti-hunting agenda carried by envious incompetents. Kids can hunt when they can't hunt. Same reason the spring season ends at the same time school does.

sawmill
09-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Whonnock Boy beat me to it.

OP, I sympathize with your frustration at the idiocy of Crown bureacrats.

It's part of the anti-hunting agenda carried by envious incompetents. Kids can hunt when they can't hunt. Same reason the spring season ends at the same time school does.

Beat me too. Bunch of whiners. Remind me of fly fishermen. Buy a rifle, buy some Mepps spinners ,dig a worm, have a nice day. And...I bow hunt too. Until rifle season. Same shit every year.

Spy
09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Hey I've been a rifle hunter my whole life, & have two kids that will be rifle hunting in the near future. If my opinion makes me an Idiot, than you can all GGF ;-)

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 04:19 PM
my favorite time of year. how can people whine about getting youth invoved with a great chance to harvest an animal? I took a
young lad out probably 15 years ago and he has been hooked ever since.

09-03-2016, 04:32 PM
my favorite time of year. how can people whine about getting youth invoved with a great chance to harvest an animal? I took a
young lad out probably 15 years ago and he has been hooked ever since.

no kidding ...... They are our future.

Mulehahn
09-03-2016, 04:36 PM
I agree that it should be seperate but the kids should get first crack. Youth should be last 2 weeks of august, then archery 1-10 then open season. Strangly I hunt with my bow during GOS as well as rifle and take my nephew out in October cause that is when our birthdays are. Never impacted our success.

Wentrot
09-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm often ashamed to own a bow when I realise how many elitist, whiny cry baby archery hunters are around.

Seeadler
09-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm often ashamed to own a bow when I realise how many elitist, whiny cry baby archery hunters are around.

Bunch of whiners, I've seen 2 bow hunters and heard 0 shots thus far this year.

Kids should have to just buy a deer tag good for any deer, non of this 4 point stuff or bucks only.

quadrakid
09-03-2016, 05:07 PM
I have never understood the idea of the bow season. What is the point? To make it easier for bowhunters to get an animal? I have taken probably 15 to 20 deer with the bow. I live on the coast and don,t enjoy hunting in the heart of wasp season with a sweaty bag. I took up the bow for the challenge not to be treated special.

Spy
09-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Seriously ????? I'm "elitist & a Whitney cry baby",Because I think the the youth season should not be from the 1st Sept to the 10th ???? I would much rather it be before the bow season sounds like I'm not alone ???

Seeadler
09-03-2016, 05:37 PM
I don't think there should be a youth season, I think they should have special tags.

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2016, 05:42 PM
No, you're not alone, but it looks like you are in the minority. With that said, it's not so much that your opinion makes you an idiot, it's how you criticized the people that decide the season dates makes you an idiot. ;)

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put bow season and youth season together was an idiot.

If my opinion makes me an Idiot

I'm not alone ???

Buckmeister
09-03-2016, 06:19 PM
This is true but convincing the kids of this is the hard thing

I think it's the teachers that need the convincing. Some of the teachers I know act like someone can't learn anything unless they are in a schoolroom situation. delboybc, your allowed x amount of absentee days a year right?? ;)

I took a youth hunting this morning, a friend of my son's. He had been hunting in the past but was not successful. I know of some promising spots that tend to hold deer. As soon as we arrived at our spot we saw deer. Within a few minutes we had a buck full of holes. Not the best shot placement I've seen, but the deer died and the young feller was all smiles and raving about how awesome this day was. He did most of the messy work and got some serious blood on his hands. He is now hooked for sure.

I was carrying a bow this morning as well, you know, just in case. There was 4 other bucks hanging around and I could have put an arrow in one. But I decided to pass on them. I could care less that I didn't arrow a deer today, the main objective was getting the young man a buck and promoting a positive hunting experience. Mission accomplished!!!

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 06:19 PM
me me me. entitlement at its finest. crying over a junior hunting season? i think we have a few bigger problems?

Spy
09-03-2016, 06:44 PM
No, you're not alone, but it looks like you are in the minority. With that said, it's not so much that your opinion makes you an idiot, it's how you criticized the people that decide the season dates makes you an idiot. ;)
Are you ****ing kidding me ???? They should have put the youth season before the bow season, I bet the only ones that all-posed the season were the guides and BCWF. Who I might add myself, my wife and my two kids are paid up members of :-)
As A representative of the BCWF I would watch my words, calling members idiots, online because you got a bone to pick with "Elitist bow hunters", just shows the division a wound you seem to like opening up, this goes way back and you know it,You want to open this can of worms up again let's go for it! Youth season should be before the bow season it suites everyone's needs including parents of children in school.You Calling me an idiot because I'm calling the ones that ****ed up on the dates idiots, is laughable :-)

emerson
09-03-2016, 07:02 PM
OMG!!! Youth intruding on the bow hunter's season. No sure that you meant to sound so elitist and entitled, but you posted it. Youth in your way maybe you should get few hundred more yards off the beaten path.

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2016, 07:03 PM
No Spy, your most recent comment is proving my point. I'm not calling member"S" idiots, just you.

I'm not going to bite my tongue because of who I represent, and in this instance, it's a majority of BCWF members and hunters. I do understand your points of view, but calling the decision makers names will get you no where. Get to the club, voice your opinion, and make a motion to review season dates at next years Provincial AGM. If what you wish to see happens, great. If not, there is probably a reason for it. At the end of all that, we will all be better informed because of it, both you and I included.

Are you ****ing kidding me ???? They should have put the youth season before the bow season, I bet the only ones that all-posed the season were the guides and BCWF. Who I might add myself, my wife and my two kids are paid up members of :-)
As A representative of the BCWF I would watch my words, calling members idiots, online because you got a bone to pick with "Elitist bow hunters", just shows the division a wound you seem to like opening up, this goes way back and you know it,You want to open this can of worms up again let's go for it! Youth season should be before the bow season it suites everyone's needs including parents of children in school.You Calling me an idiot because I'm calling the ones that ****ed up on the dates idiots, is laughable :-)

Mulehahn
09-03-2016, 07:17 PM
No Spy, your most recent comment is proving my point. I'm not calling member"S" idiots, just you.

I'm not going to bite my tongue because of who I represent, and in this instance, it's a majority of BCWF members and hunters. I do understand your points of view, but calling the decision makers names will get you no where. Get to the club, voice your opinion, and make a motion to review season dates at next years Provincial AGM. If what you wish to see happens, great. If not, there is probably a reason for it. At the end of all that, we will all be better informed because of it, both you and I included.

I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youth. But I honestly cant remember there ever being a vote to move the youth season to before the archery season. You clearly state that the majority of BCWF members and hunters oppose that. When was the vote, or how was this determined? No hunter I know opposes the youth getting a head start.

A few, as clearly shown here, oppose the seasons overlapping.

curt
09-03-2016, 07:22 PM
hey just an opinion I'm not against a youth season not at all but I don't think it should be while there is a "bow only season" let the little buggers go 1st I don't care but some area's are crawling with dads and kids while guys are attempting to bow hunt and its stupid. It was poor planning imo thats all i was saying lets all get along people :)

steelslinger
09-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Everytime I read a post from you somehow you manage to make me think less of you. I am half torn, I found that 'ignore' feature but I also kinda feel like your a satire guy who goes so far out there as to make laughable comedy of the situation but then through it all I think your serious?

takla1
09-03-2016, 07:37 PM
where all these bow/youth gun hunter interactions happening anyways,someones back yard?I brought both my sons up on youth hunts spanning 12 yrs and never once had an interation between them and a bow hunter...???That's a lot of days in the field not encountering bow hunter.We hunted in a faily well hunted area between Williams lake and PG and had the grounds all to ourselves. .Another thing as far as missing school my boys loved it,my wife loved it as well as she was busy with our girls and the new school season..was a win/win for us

takla

Sitkaspruce
09-03-2016, 07:46 PM
And this is ANOTHER reason why us hunters will never be able to come together and stand together when we need to fight the war.....

Bow hunters complaining about the youth season, dad complaining about a youth seasons timing and regular hunters complaining about a youth season.......

It's a wonder why this site and others are spiraling down and less and less people post HUNTING stories on here....

Hunters who complain about LEGAL season that allow youths to hunt before they have to head back to the books......pretty sad and they should be a shamed of themselves!!!

Cheers

SS

horshur
09-03-2016, 07:47 PM
And this is ANOTHER reason why us hunters will never be able to come together and stand together when we need to fight the war.....

Bow hunters complaining about the youth season, dad complaining about a youth seasons timing and regular hunters complaining about a youth season.......

It's a wonder why this site and others are spiraling down and less and less people post HUNTING stories on here....

Hunters who complain about LEGAL season that allow youths to hunt before they have to head back to the books......pretty sad and they should be a shamed of themselves!!!

Cheers

SS

you got kids?

delboybc
09-03-2016, 07:51 PM
I think it's the teachers that need the convincing. Some of the teachers I know act like someone can't learn anything unless they are in a schoolroom situation. delboybc, your allowed x amount of absentee days a year right?? ;)

I took a youth hunting this morning, a friend of my son's. He had been hunting in the past but was not successful. I know of some promising spots that tend to hold deer. As soon as we arrived at our spot we saw deer. Within a few minutes we had a buck full of holes. Not the best shot placement I've seen, but the deer died and the young feller was all smiles and raving about how awesome this day was. He did most of the messy work and got some serious blood on his hands. He is now hooked for sure.

I was carrying a bow this morning as well, you know, just in case. There was 4 other bucks hanging around and I could have put an arrow in one. But I decided to pass on them. I could care less that I didn't arrow a deer today, the main objective was getting the young man a buck and promoting a positive hunting experience. Mission accomplished!!!

It's no problem getting the days off from school just the kids are wired to start school, see old friends, get first choice of certain activities in class etc...

You certainly nailed the issue Buckmeister of giving the youth a high chance of success to get them hooked. I have taken my son and daughter out a couple of times but because of time constraints just for a few days and no success, I am little worried now as when I mention hunting they just say "don't you mean hiking in the wood", I know if they get just one they will be hooked, but with so many options for their time I feel they will just give hunting a miss.

I have hooked my son on fishing because he has been able to catch a few, so even when we go out and have no luck he doesn't seem to be concerned. I guess that is how they hook you on gambling mostly failure but a few success and you are hooked.

People brought up an interesting point about BCWF AGM to discuss the dates, I have no idea who even makes the hunting season dates, there must be many factors they have to consider.

Spy
09-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Everytime I read a post from you somehow you manage to make me think less of you. I am half torn, I found that 'ignore' feature but I also kinda feel like your a satire guy who goes so far out there as to make laughable comedy of the situation but then through it all I think your serious?
Keep guessing and put me on ignore lol that was so deep for a chick ?

Spy
09-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youth. But I honestly cant remember there ever being a vote to move the youth season to before the archery season. You clearly state that the majority of BCWF members and hunters oppose that. When was the vote, or how was this determined? No hunter I know opposes the youth getting a head start.

There has never been a vote as far as I know! I just think an earlier youth season would be better for all hunters. I don't know who made the season or how it came about, I do think it was not well thought out!

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 08:21 PM
amazed reading this. if you are bow hunting and kids are ruining your hunt you have bigger problems. it is a huge province.

Spy
09-03-2016, 08:24 PM
amazed reading this. if you are bow hunting and kids are ruining your hunt you have bigger problems. it is a huge province.
Who said youths are spoiling our season???

Mulehahn
09-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Spy, I have, unfortunately, met a lot of bow hunters who claim youth hunters are spoiling there season. I just have never met one who would argue against letting the kid hunt before them, like the end of August. A 10 any buck season would have no effect on population but would allow the kids more days in the field.

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 08:36 PM
curts post and yours in post 7 sure sounds like crying over youths. OUR SEASON?

Spy
09-03-2016, 08:41 PM
curts post and yours in post 7 sure sounds like crying over youths. OUR SEASON?
I've never seen a youth during bow season, where I hunt. That said I still don't think it's a great idea, and think an earlier season would be better for all user groups.

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 08:43 PM
yes lets give the kids hunting from aug.15 to 30. great fun in the okanagan, thompson 30 degrees plus great experience for everyone. fire bans, mosquitos wasps kids would love it.

steveo
09-03-2016, 08:58 PM
If it is truly about increased opportunity and more hunting season for youths then knocked rifle season back a week or two as well, maybe let them take any buck at the beginning of the season and let them be able to take a doe. Is there youth season for bears, wolves, upland birds, water fowl or small game? Maybe someone can explain why archery season was always before rifle season?

steveo
09-03-2016, 09:01 PM
yes lets give the kids hunting from aug.15 to 30. great fun in the okanagan, thompson 30 degrees plus great experience for everyone. fire bans, mosquitos wasps kids would love it.I thought the early season was so they could hunt before school starts because once school starts they have no time.

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 09:06 PM
do whatever it takes to get the kids involved and have a better than average chance. you certainly don't want to be hunting in august around the okanagan or thoompson in mid to late august unless it is just a half day trip.

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2016, 09:19 PM
I think you misunderstood what I said. In my travels, it has been my experience that a majority of members support the youth season, however I did not say that there is opposition to moving it ahead or behind of a bow season. I just suggested that Spy attempt to make those changes through his club and the BCWF. Ultimately though, the bio's/govt. decides, but we can advocate for it just like some members attempted to do with the baiting of bears in region 2 last year. That was ultimately tossed out at the regional AGM.

You've changed your mind. When there's too many people around, I would think bow hunters would find a different area. At least, that is what I would do.

it should be bows 1st then kids then open IMO

let the little buggers go 1st I don't care

Thinking it is a problem, and actually being a problem are two completely different things. Takla's comment supports that, as well as your own.

I've never seen a youth during bow season, where I hunt. That said I still don't think it's a great idea, and think an earlier season would be better for all user groups.

where all these bow/youth gun hunter interactions happening anyways,someones back yard?I brought both my sons up on youth hunts spanning 12 yrs and never once had an interation between them and a bow hunter...???That's a lot of days in the field not encountering bow hunter.

takla

Very good point.

yes lets give the kids hunting from aug.15 to 30. great fun in the okanagan, thompson 30 degrees plus great experience for everyone. fire bans, mosquitos wasps kids would love it.

After all that, last year we had 7 days before kids had to get back to school. This year it's 5, next year it's 4, 2018 it's 3, 2019 it's 2, and in 2020 it's back to 7 days provided they all head back the weekend after the long weekend. Can't really say there isn't opportunities there. I'm sure there's valid reasons that support moving the season dates around, but really, is it really that big of an issue that supports actually changing it? IMO, no.

Tikka270
09-03-2016, 09:23 PM
There has never been a vote as far as I know! I just think an earlier youth season would be better for all hunters. I don't know who made the season or how it came about, I do think it was not well thought out!
The difference of a couple weeks could also be a difference of 30+ degree weather and 16 degree weather like it is now.

Spy
09-03-2016, 09:56 PM
The difference of a couple weeks could also be a difference of 30+ degree weather and 16 degree weather like it is now.
Ok than move the bow season up to the 10th to the 20th and rifle season can start on the 20th ;-)

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 10:06 PM
sure sounds great spy. kids from sept 1-20 and bow 10th to 20th? deer only? or do you want to take the elk rut away from rifle hunters?

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Jeeeezzzusss keeerhisst!

Second, the youth season is meant to encourage new, young hunters into our way of life. Something we desperately need.

Third, if you are hunting in areas that have a large amount of youth hunters, you are in the wrong spots. There is plenty of places to bow hunt where you won't see a soul, including youths!

Four, youths need time and space to do their thing. In fact, they don't need to worry about some bow hunters creeping up on them while they themselves are trying to harvest an animal.

Five, get further off the road and hike. Most youths are prone to staying close to the roads.

Six, I thought bow hunters did it for the challenge? Are youths throwing you off your game?

Seven, jealousy and animosity between user groups will get us no where, and it's been proven time and again.

Eight, when was the last time a hunter was shot and killed by another in BC? Maybe you should be wearing blaze.

Great post until #10. Please don't insult other members.

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 10:13 PM

Well done! You exemplify what it's all about.

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2016, 10:15 PM
LOL! Sounds good.

Great post until #10. Please don't insult other members.

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Several years ago it was suggested here that if bow hunters didn't want youth intruding on their season, that youth season could take place in August. The bow hunters hit the roof, saying that they want to hunt "undisturbed" deer, not animals that had been previously hunted by youth.

Spy
09-03-2016, 10:19 PM
sure sounds great spy. kids from sept 1-20 and bow 10th to 20th? deer only? or do you want to take the elk rut away from rifle hunters?
No elk moose ect, rifle hunters can wait ;-)

Spy
09-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Several years ago it was suggested here that if bow hunters didn't want youth intruding on their season, that youth season could take place in August. The bow hunters hit the roof, saying that they want to hunt "undisturbed" deer, not animals that had been previously hunted by youth.
Im not hitting the roof quite the opposite I think youth should have their hunt, ( I have two kids as mentioned) just make it earlier, when they don't have school, that is what this thread is about no? But some want to make it about me and my opinion !

Lillypuff
09-03-2016, 10:25 PM
that is what i thought. :-(.

steveo
09-03-2016, 10:28 PM
sure sounds great spy. kids from sept 1-20 and bow 10th to 20th? deer only? or do you want to take the elk rut away from rifle hunters?How about kids from Sept 1 until the 10th for elk.

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 10:37 PM
The fact is, successful bow hunters take animals all through GOS.

BC is a big place, it's not hard to get away from other hunters if you want, in any season. Bow hunters that want to get away from youth hunters in the early season, or rifle hunters in the GOS can do that if they want to.

I've seen dozens of GOS bow killed animals posted here on HBC, and they are of all description, from "meat" animals to true trophy class. This is when hunting season is in full swing, and anyone can hunt. So why does the minimal amount of youth hunters cause so much concern for some bowhunters?

As for timing due to school, which is what this thread is about? Even if kids go back to school on Sept 1, there is still a weekend to get out, and evenings after school if you live near hunting areas. And you can always take your kid out in GOS, there is 2-3 months of that. Although I personally wouldn't care if youth season was Aug 15-30. It's one of those things that has to be looked at and decide if it's a real problem that needs addressing or not.

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Im not hitting the roof quite the opposite I think youth should have their hunt, ( I have two kids as mentioned) just make it earlier, when they don't have school, that is what this thread is about no? But some want to make it about me and my opinion !

You may not be upset about it, but some people involved in bow hunting associations were very much against anyone hunting with a rifle before or during BOW ONLY season.

steveo
09-03-2016, 10:59 PM
You may not be upset about it, but some people involved in bow hunting associations were very much against anyone hunting with a rifle before or during BOW ONLY season.So what you are saying is there was never any rationale behind the decision to make archery season earlier than rifle season and over lapping archery season with a season that uses a different weapon shouldn't be a problem.

Xenomorph
09-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Come hunt with me, I don't complain much.

ROY-alty33
09-03-2016, 11:24 PM
I am appreciative that I can get my boy out in the woods starting on the 1st. Unfortunately he has yet to connect but its a great experience for him to be out there anyway. He has a blast. Plus in 8 where we were he can hone his skills on the occasional grouse we happen upon, enough action to keep his interest anyway.
I do think they should change the dates to the week before the long weekend. However I am happy with a 60 day window for him to take any buck. We do not take as full advantage of the season as we could, we just day trip it to 8 from 2, but need to schedule those trips between school, hockey tryouts, dads hockey, and shift work so we definitely under use this opportunity.

walks with deer
09-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Sent a youth hunter into one of my pockets this morning...the dad called me later and said thanks for the tip... he said next time give him two spots a bad 1 first than a good one so the kid doesn't think it happens in the first 10 minutes of every hunt...lol

No skin off my ass lots of deer out there youth hunting and bow hunting early season is like a hazing so the 10th animals already no the summer holiday is over...I hunted all through high school teachers always gave me homework and I did it around the camp fire...I went to the same school as takla s kids..no issues.

Gateholio
09-04-2016, 12:05 AM
So what you are saying is there was never any rationale behind the decision to make archery season earlier than rifle season and over lapping archery season with a season that uses a different weapon shouldn't be a problem.

I don't actually recall why the archery season was made, but I suspect that bow hunters asked for it and got it. Both bow and youth are special seasons, that allow people to hunt if they meet certain conditions. So no, I don't see an issue with a special seasons overlapping each other. One is special due to weapon choice, one is special due to age. Both "special."

I actually think that if we are going to include weapon choice- and it is a choice- into a special season, it should actually be "primitive" weapon season, and traditional muzzleloaders should be included, too.

Sleep Robber
09-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Whining about season dates now ?? It's September, don't forget your hand warmers ya pussies.

walks with deer
09-04-2016, 01:56 AM
Yes no shit..maah maah

longwalk
09-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Just came back from taking my kids out for a youth hunt. We camped beside two bow hunters. Each morning we would coordinate where we were going to go so nobody crossed the other person up. They were great guys who would usually let me know what they had seen where they were hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-04-2016, 07:58 AM
It shouldn't take more than a day or two to get a youth a deer. If they want to be a bit fussy then the might need more time.
In the past three years my daughter shot a buck on opening day. She hangs with me for a day or so while I bow hunt then I run her and the deer home and come back to deer camp. Usually I hunt differently without her and in the past two years I have found bigger bucks after she's gone.

I'm up bow hunting right now and the youths aren't bothering me one bit.

Fisher-Dude
09-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Greedy, self-entitled bow hunters raise their ugly heads every year at this time.

Not all bow hunters, mind you, just the same elitists pricks that want it all for themselves, and everyone else can GGF, apparently.

Reminds me a lot of the attitude of a certain guiding organization we've talked about before.

I'll be out with my bow tomorrow, and I hope to see some kids out there, learning about hunting and maybe getting a chance at a deer.

Fisher-Dude
09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Ok than move the bow season up to the 10th to the 20th and rifle season can start on the 20th ;-)

It's already bow season 10 - 20th.

Boner
09-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Funny. Some people have really showed a side I haven't saw before on this thread.

Fisher-Dude
09-04-2016, 10:49 AM
hey just an opinion I'm not against a youth season not at all but I don't think it should be while there is a "bow only season" let the little buggers go 1st I don't care but some area's are crawling with dads and kids while guys are attempting to bow hunt and its stupid. It was poor planning imo thats all i was saying lets all get along people :)

You can hunt with your bow for nearly 4 months. What the eff is your problem?

Iron Glove
09-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I really think we need more "Senior" seasons where all us old pharts can head off into the hills without worrying about upsetting anyone. :mrgreen:
Don't bow hunt and no Juniors in the family but I don't see anything wrong with the "only" seasons as they are.
I'm hoping that in another 4 years I can take my Grand Girl out in Juniors.

Lillypuff
09-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Great idea senior season with the youths and the entitled crowd on here. I would be all for it!

Lillypuff
09-04-2016, 12:13 PM
What about me is what I hear from a couple of people on here. They sound like my 4 and 7 year olds.

Sitkaspruce
09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
you got kids?

Sure, although I am not sure what that has to do about what I was saying....maybe you can explain it better than I can understand....

And they love fishing, but the hunting thing is just not for the girls....yet

Cheers

SS

Ron.C
09-04-2016, 01:04 PM
There is tons of bush to hunt, pretty sad that we can't seem to share. Sure aint not surprise to me the Anti's are gaining pubic opinion.
I am a bowhunter and a rifle hunter and could care less about the youth season running during the same time as bow season. I've crossed paths with more bowhunters from Sept 1-9 than junior rifle hunters.

The easy fix is just to eliminate all "special seasons" and lump all hunting into one season unless there is a reason certain firearms can't be used. Or we could dedicate certain areas to one type of hunting only, like a youth only area.

Or, we could just lighten the hell up and enjoy the fact that we have some of the best hunting available, concern ourselves a little less about what the other guy is doing and go hunt.

curt
09-04-2016, 03:44 PM
well apparently you have not hunter region 3 Bonepart country can be a gongshow it gets really busy up there anyway just my point I dont agree with the 2 season being interlocked! There is plenty of time throughout the season to spread out the interest groups and keep everyone happy thats all I was saying. Its funny too that you can tell who the bow hunters are compared to the rifle guys when you bring this topic up!! :)
where all these bow/youth gun hunter interactions happening anyways,someones back yard?I brought both my sons up on youth hunts spanning 12 yrs and never once had an interation between them and a bow hunter...???That's a lot of days in the field not encountering bow hunter.We hunted in a faily well hunted area between Williams lake and PG and had the grounds all to ourselves. .Another thing as far as missing school my boys loved it,my wife loved it as well as she was busy with our girls and the new school season..was a win/win for us

takla

HarryToolips
09-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Bunch of whiners, I've seen 2 bow hunters and heard 0 shots thus far this year.

Kids should have to just buy a deer tag good for any deer, non of this 4 point stuff or bucks only.
Unfortunately if kids started the season shooting does as well as bucks, when the animals aren't first adjusted to the pressure, there would be a conservation concern, I believe, especially in areas such as region 8 where there's lots of hunters and road access..

papaken
09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
I am a bowhunter and a rifle hunter. I have no problem with the youth hunt. Last year when we were bow hunting in region 8 during the youth season only saw a couple of trucks with youth out. No problems. Let them hunt. I appreciate the early season for bow only but also take my bow during rifle season in case I get a chance to use it. I support all legal hunters as we all should. As has been said over and over we only help the antis when we call each other down.

horshur
09-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Sure, although I am not sure what that has to do about what I was saying....maybe you can explain it better than I can understand....

And they love fishing, but the hunting thing is just not for the girls....yet

Cheers

SS

what it has to do is regarding the original post....this is the feedback! It is the busiest weekend/week of the year for parents. Maybe there could be an alternative?? Maybe one that could end the stupid but perpetual conflict with Bowhunters....cause there are better options. The opportunity for youth under the current season is not really as great as it seems.

tubby
09-04-2016, 06:01 PM
exact same shit as the spey/fly crowd....

HarryToolips
09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
There is tons of bush to hunt, pretty sad that we can't seem to share. Sure aint not surprise to me the Anti's are gaining pubic opinion.
I am a bowhunter and a rifle hunter and could care less about the youth season running during the same time as bow season. I've crossed paths with more bowhunters from Sept 1-9 than junior rifle hunters.

The easy fix is just to eliminate all "special seasons" and lump all hunting into one season unless there is a reason certain firearms can't be used. Or we could dedicate certain areas to one type of hunting only, like a youth only area.

Or, we could just lighten the hell up and enjoy the fact that we have some of the best hunting available, concern ourselves a little less about what the other guy is doing and go hunt.
Well said!....

steel_ram
09-04-2016, 06:09 PM
No need for any special seasons. Perhaps some of the big boy grown-ups could leave the dumb spikes for the kids though.
I bow hunt and fly fish because that is what I find the most fun. No other reason. Don't need any special treatment.

Whonnock Boy
09-04-2016, 06:33 PM
There are a total of two people on this thread that have voiced the need for a separate season, and only a couple more that have a problem with it being so close to the beginning of the school year. There is no conflict when an overwhelming majority of people support the way it is now. But, if you have better options, I am curious to hear them.

what it has to do is regarding the original post....this is the feedback! It is the busiest weekend/week of the year for parents. Maybe there could be an alternative?? Maybe one that could end the stupid but perpetual conflict with Bowhunters....cause there are better options. The opportunity for youth under the current season is not really as great as it seems.

Ohwildwon
09-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Who the hell would want to hunt (the bottom half of the province) in Aug any way?

Sept 10th last year it was 30 c plus, no thanks...

Hunterguy
09-04-2016, 07:33 PM
An interesting thread, hunted for 40 years and yes i have raised my family to enjoy the outdoors, Nieces and nephews who were taught the ethics of the hunt. Now that Papa is getting on along with other older fellas who have knee replacements, heart stints, and can't hump the bush like they used to I can't believe that the youths are getting all the frills, hey us old guys touched everyone one who is hunting now with our wisdom, family times. You young guys will be older so enjoy your annual trips time flies.

skibum
09-04-2016, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=delboybc;1814279]
Youth hunt dates totally suck, given that most youth are in high school, why did they have to pick dates that coincide exactly with the week before and after school starts.
QUOTE]

To me, this doesn't seem like something that really needs to change.

We are given choices to make and we decide on our priorities.

Lots of parents have decided to go camping / fishing and hunting the last long weekend of the summer. If your kids want to spend it otherwise, that is fine. They have prioritized that over hunting, no big deal

I think youth parents should be happy that youth opening comes on a long weekend to get out. I sure will be when they hit ten

Rob
09-04-2016, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an extra week or two of any size mulie for the kids. I'll still make it work for my daughter though, its her first year in high school but I get home at 6 pm from work and can take her out for 1 1/2 hours each night until the end of the week. Is what it is I guess so we'll adapt.

horshur
09-04-2016, 08:59 PM
There are a total of two people on this thread that have voiced the need for a separate season, and only a couple more that have a problem with it being so close to the beginning of the school year. There is no conflict when an overwhelming majority of people support the way it is now. But, if you have better options, I am curious to hear them.

Logical fallacy Ignoratio elenchi. "irrelevant conclusion missing the point" Better options?? how about the bowhunters proposal? GOS on bucks for youth sept 10 to nov1.

horshur
09-04-2016, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=delboybc;1814279]
QUOTE]

To me, this doesn't seem like something that really needs to change.

We are given choices to make and we decide on our priorities.

Lots of parents have decided to go camping / fishing and hunting the last long weekend of the summer. If your kids want to spend it otherwise, that is fine. They have prioritized that over hunting, no big deal

I think youth parents should be happy that youth opening comes on a long weekend to get out. I sure will be when they hit ten

it is a touted 10 day season that realistically amounts to three days for the majority youth hunters and even less other years...depending on how the dates fall.

Whonnock Boy
09-04-2016, 09:27 PM
IMO, the point to the youth season is to allow youths, for the most part, a greater chance at harvesting an animal. For most, they are already under a tremendous amount of stress, and adding in the possibility of a race to get to a buck first, and a far greater amount of hunters in the field, again imo, takes that much needed time and patience away from the equation. They need all the help they can get. On the other hand, a bow hunter has been there, and done that. They have imposed a greater level of difficulty on themselves for reasons only known to them. They don't need help, they need a challenge. Ignoratio elenchi......

Logical fallacy Ignoratio elenchi. "irrelevant conclusion missing the point" Better options?? how about the bowhunters proposal? GOS on bucks for youth sept 10 to nov1.

Boner
09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=skibum;1814791]

it is a touted 10 day season that realistically amounts to three days for the majority youth hunters and even less other years...depending on how the dates fall.

So it sounds like the 10 day youth season isn't much of a problem for the same time 10 day bow hunting jump start to the general open season then.

:)

drewsky
09-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Well said my friend!

mastercaster
09-05-2016, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=skibum;1814791]

With the way the calendar days fell this year the youth got a possible 6 days out of 10 where they didn't have to miss school,,,,,unless they hunt in Region 8 where they get the whole month of September to get in those extra days. My three buddies who take their kids out for the youth hunt have all cut their tags now. In fact, they did it before the long weekend even started.

horshur
09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
IMO, the point to the youth season is to allow youths, for the most part, a greater chance at harvesting an animal. For most, they are already under a tremendous amount of stress, and adding in the possibility of a race to get to a buck first, and a far greater amount of hunters in the field, again imo, takes that much needed time and patience away from the equation. They need all the help they can get. On the other hand, a bow hunter has been there, and done that. They have imposed a greater level of difficulty on themselves for reasons only known to them. They don't need help, they need a challenge. Ignoratio elenchi......

you are still missing the point!!. Original topic was about the youth hunt dates and how it was a difficult time due to scheduling of school start times ect... not the bow hunt!

The OP has a point that is valid. It is not a stress free time for parents and kids. It is not really a generous amount of time either depending on how the dates fall unless the kids miss school.... This calendar spread the kids could hunt 6 days other date spreads will have 3 days. Now according to statistics If memory serves me right it takes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 hunter days for a deer kill. To offer the best opportunity for success!!! The kids need that many days!

I expect that the reason the youth cannot have a two month long general season for bucks is because of rifle hunters worrying that kids might actually get something....

Whonnock Boy
09-05-2016, 10:40 AM
I addressed that in an earlier comment. Certainly, some years there is a minimal amount of time prior to school, but others, there is as much as a week. I honestly do not see any validity to that point. Clothes and school supplies can be purchased long before then. Schedules are all online for high school students. Hair cuts can happen whenever. Not only that, if hunting and the outdoors is important enough, parents can book holidays to take their children out. Who says they can only go on a weekend, and have to be at school for the first few days of it?

Regarding your rifle hunter comment, for youth, region 8 is any buck for the entire season for both wt and muley, region 4 any white tail buck the entire season, region 2 any buck for the entire season without an early youth season, region 3 any buck early season and any buck white tails for the entire season, plenty of buck days in the Skeena, Omineca has any buck an youth hunt for 20 days, and the Peace has an early season youth in addition to an either sex season, and this doesn't include everything.

I'll say the same thing to parents and their children as I said to the bow hunters. If you're having problems being successful and losing the crowds, maybe it's time to broaden your search, dig a little deeper, or do some homework over the summer time. Nobody said the youth season should be a gimme for these kids, but giving them a little advantage here or there doesn't hurt anyone, including the bow hunters.

you are still missing the point!!. Original topic was about the youth hunt dates and how it was a difficult time due to scheduling of school start times ect... not the bow hunt!

The OP has a point that is valid. It is not a stress free time for parents and kids. It is not really a generous amount of time either depending on how the dates fall unless the kids miss school.... This calendar spread the kids could hunt 6 days other date spreads will have 3 days. Now according to statistics If memory serves me right it takes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 hunter days for a deer kill. To offer the best opportunity for success!!! The kids need that many days!

I expect that the reason the youth cannot have a two month long general season for bucks is because of rifle hunters worrying that kids might actually get something....

After all that, last year we had 7 days before kids had to get back to school. This year it's 5, next year it's 4, 2018 it's 3, 2019 it's 2, and in 2020 it's back to 7 days provided they all head back the weekend after the long weekend. Can't really say there isn't opportunities there. I'm sure there's valid reasons that support moving the season dates around, but really, is it really that big of an issue that supports actually changing it? IMO, no.

smallfry14
09-05-2016, 12:09 PM
I shot my first buck on the first day of grade 8. That was what got me absolutely hooked on hunting. The first week of school (where i went) was only 3.5 days long and was all about course outlines,handouts, etc. I see no reason why kids can't stay home for a couple days of the first week of school to go hunting, they'll learn a LOT more than they will in the classroom at that time anyways. It's not a season-date issue, it's a priority and people-wanting-to-whine issue. With that said though, I wouldn't oppose the youth season starting in August, I never thought of that before.. not a bad idea. P.S, any bow hunter whining about youths hunting at the same time as them, or youths opening before them, needs a kick in the nuts and a head shake. Youth hunters are the future of hunting, you should be supporting and promoting youth hunters as much as you can.

My $0.02

HighCountryBC
09-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Because that happens so often...

Sounds like you need to get away from the crowds if this is happening on a regular basis (which we all know it isn't). You have 4 months to hunt with your bow. If sharing the woods with some kids for 10 days is a problem, hunting probably isn't for you.

Getbent
09-05-2016, 07:40 PM

Cheers

SS
well said...can't believe I read through all 10 pages...wow

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2016, 10:16 AM

You should read the regulations and see what the current any buck for youth seasons are in region 8.

BTW, it wasn't a bow hunters' proposal to do it, either. It was a BCWF proposal. The bow hunters' proposal was to close the early youth season to rifles. You know, because rifle shots scare deer. I still don't know why I saw 4 bucks and 9 does just a km up the road from where some folks were shooting in a gravel pit this weekend, though.

M.Dean
09-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Good for you Bow Hunters!!! Keep up the fight here, and lets get the "Youth Hunters" of today back into the mall's, heads back into there video screens, and get these Kid's walk'in the streets agin look'in for a good deal on a couple hit's of Meth or what the hell Eh, hid'in behind a dumpster "Jack'in up" some "H'!!! Keep at it there "Bow Hunters" you guys fight tooth and nail too get your hunt'in area's quiet again!!! Bloody Kid's today, Eh???

604redneck
09-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Jeeeezzzusss keeerhisst!

I think it should be youth last week of August then now then open.
just because they weren't killed doesn't mean they haven't been shot.

604redneck
09-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Good for you Bow Hunters!!! Keep up the fight here, and lets get the "Youth Hunters" of today back into the mall's, heads back into there video screens, and get these Kid's walk'in the streets agin look'in for a good deal on a couple hit's of Meth or what the hell Eh, hid'in behind a dumpster "Jack'in up" some "H'!!! Keep at it there "Bow Hunters" you guys fight tooth and nail too get your hunt'in area's quiet again!!! Bloody Kid's today, Eh???
Or just teach kids to bow hunt......

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Or just teach kids to bow hunt......

If kids want to learn to bow hunt during youth season, they can do so.

That's the glory of the youth season, kids can learn any method they want. Why should we dictate what they can do so some adults can get what they want?

2448Mike
09-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Right about that! I'm pulling my 14 year old from school for a week this fall for an LEH hunt. He's a great student but don't ever undervalue the time spent with family. Every one of us has learned way more in the school of hard knocks than inside four walls.

As far as timing goes. Really, the first two weeks of September are the most important. The first week they float to classes, get desks and text books and catch up with friends. How about exam weeks and graduation. I think the timing provides a great way to wrap up summer... My son got a deer on opening day and we had a great outing as a family!

GoatGuy
09-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Dates can always be improved.

Point is there is a youth season to give kids a leg up and let them spend some family time.

If you can't 'see' the benefits of a youth season, you might not be able to see the forest for the trees.

Steeleco
09-06-2016, 04:29 PM
So before I close this name calling hijacked thread.

I'll say that this will be my last year taking my kids hunting during the youth season. Some years they got a whole week before school and some years only a few days. All depends on when the LWE falls. And it's been very productive until this year. But fear not, there's no antler restriction for my daughter for the balance of the year either.

NOT ONCE did we ever see a bow hunter. Come to think of it, I've not seen a bow hunter EVER in GOS. As mentioned there's lots of places to hunt.

We don't need Anti's to fight with, we're doing a good job of fighting amongst ourselves!