PDA

View Full Version : masking human scent while in the bush

brokenarrow22
09-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Any to recomend and what to stay away from

Whonnock Boy
09-02-2016, 08:19 PM
You're best bet is to just stay down wind. Save your money, and hunt smarter. ;)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
09-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Yup . lol.

takla1
09-02-2016, 08:23 PM
don't cook in camp with your hunting gear on.Ive cut cedar boughs and keep them in a garbage back and throw my cloths in with them before to help keep human scent down.Never bought commercial sprays or cover scents tho

takla

brian
09-02-2016, 08:35 PM
If you think whatever you are doing will fool a dog, then it will fool a deer. The problem for you is both dogs and deer will be able to pick apart your smell like a chef picks apart flavors in a meal. They'll smell you, the cover scent you used, the lingering fart clinging to your pants, the girl you kissed last night, the spot where your wife hit you a fish when she found out... they smell it all man. You could try attractants like doe piss or something, but to cover your scent... good luck, the deer will laugh at you as they high tail it out of there.

allan
09-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Play the wind, i try to minimize my Scent, ( avoid gas on hands, strong colognes or worst strong laundry detergent, because it lingers in an area and if your really stinky like my buddy you'll blow deer out of an area at 500 yds , not so stinky 200 yards:)

wrenchhead
09-03-2016, 12:36 AM
Sometimes if I'm hunting where cows are present I step in a cow patty to get that scent on my boots. Not sure it works but I figure the animals are used to that smell so I go with it.

Gateholio
09-03-2016, 01:00 AM
Sun warms, thermals go up with your scent. Get's colder, scent goes down with the thermals. Wind blows, takes your scent....

Only guy I recall ever making a case for scent products that I could understand was a coyote hunter. He said your scent goes out in a cone, and sometimes if the wind wasn't favorable to him he would spray some scent masker stuff out into the air and that might get him an extra second to take a shot at a yote...maybe.

Lozzie
09-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Scent control products work. I use Scent Killer products, I wash my clothes in it, keep them in a sealed container and I use the spray and unscented deodorant in the field. That said, scent control only works if you don't sound like a rhino moving through the woods. So unless you are a tree stand/ still hunter or an amazing spot and stock hunter don't waste your money.

steelslinger
09-03-2016, 10:44 AM
If you think whatever you are doing will fool a dog, then it will fool a deer. The problem for you is both dogs and deer will be able to pick apart your smell like a chef picks apart flavors in a meal. They'll smell you, the cover scent you used, the lingering fart clinging to your pants, the girl you kissed last night, the spot where your wife hit you a fish when she found out... they smell it all man. You could try attractants like doe piss or something, but to cover your scent... good luck, the deer will laugh at you as they high tail it out of there.

x2. You ain't fooling the nose of a wild animal.

Wentrot
09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Scent control products work. I use Scent Killer products, I wash my clothes in it, keep them in a sealed container and I use the spray and unscented deodorant in the field. That said, scent control only works if you don't sound like a rhino moving through the woods. So unless you are a tree stand/ still hunter or an amazing spot and stock hunter don't waste your money.

scent control products are snake oil.

Lozzie
09-06-2016, 02:48 PM
scent control products are snake oil.

Well I guess I must not smell that bad because out the last 5 bucks I've shot have been under 50 yards and always undetected.

caddisguy
09-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I recall reading some studies a while back that used a dog to figure out which container the hunter was hiding in. All sorts of cover scents and sent remover were tested and nothing really interfered with the dogs ability/speed in detecting the hunter except for ozone which bought the hunter an extra couple seconds.

Not cooking or sitting around the fire in hunting clothes might help a bit. The more you can lower your scent profile the more difficult it would be for the deer to tell your proximity and "are there" verus "were there". I wouldn't invest much time or money in reducing scent profile though. Playing the wind and understanding the thermals is key.

Cover scents just add to your overall scent profile. It would be like a bear trying to fool you visually by wearing shiney suspenders and a pink hat.

I have used pine/fir/cedar and even some natural pine/lemongrass/vanilla products from lush (irony considering their anti-hunting stance/efforts) ... was kind of hoping a deer would come up and lick me (just because, dont ask why) but no luck. Grunt tube works though.

RackStar
09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
all that scent away spray shi*t is a scam..

markt308
09-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Scent control products are laughable. They don't account for how ferocious my farts are after a few days in deer camp. No "scent lock" is gonna fix that. Play the wind. Don't be a sucker

RackStar
09-06-2016, 07:33 PM
anyone that wants to throw their money away il take it.....

just sayin.

tomahawk
09-06-2016, 08:10 PM
You're best bet is to just stay down wind. Save your money, and hunt smarter. ;)

In this message is one of the secrets to hunting. Good hunters don't need to mask there scent.

wideopenthrottle
09-06-2016, 08:45 PM
unscented soaps and hang out in the smoke of the fire is all i do...also avoid gas/diesel as well...

shed-hunter1
09-06-2016, 08:58 PM
i see a lot more deer ever since i started using scent products i recomend the laundry detergent

Lozzie
09-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I don't really consider spending about $40 a year on scent control a waste of money. I've found it gives me an edge when in close proximity to game, if that's not worth it to you then that's fine. But for me I'll take every edge I can get.

hotload
09-07-2016, 10:26 AM
In this message is one of the secrets to hunting. Good hunters don't need to mask there scent.

BINGO!!!!! Save your money on buying product. The wind is your friend. The wind is your enemy. Or just follow closely behind Whonnock Boy or Tomahawk..................................