PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Sheep Hunt

Workinirn
09-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I have a sheep draw up near Aitlin, B.C. I was planning to be up there for opening day (August 1st) but had to work. The draw is good till mid October, but I'm curious if it's worth the trip up there? (I'm from the LML).
From my understanding sheep should be at higher elevations by now, making them harder to hunt. Does anyone have some insight to their late season sheep success or experience hunting sheep this time a year?

plumbcrazy
09-01-2016, 05:01 PM
By the seasons end they will be chasing Ewes. Even better hunting then if the weather cooperates!

Sitkaspruce
09-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Most of my sheep hunts have been last two weeks of Sept/first week of Oct and they are out feeding more, move around more and we have found them lower in the bowls and the bottom of cliffs.

Biggest plus is no competition and the capes look better IMO.

Go, only you can say whether it was worth it!!

Cheers

SS

Jrax
09-01-2016, 08:13 PM
sheep are almost never where they 'should' be. My experience is that sometimes the hotter it is the higher they seem to go during late morning to early evening hours. Other than that i think you will find them anywhere from below timberline to high peak depending on a lot of factors. I can think of many times seeing rams near timberline mid September to October.

Some people say pressure pushes them up but they are not just going to go up and sit on rock for days, they need to come down to more nutrition and water especially later in the season so they tend to move a bowl or valley or two over. If you think an area is pressure, then try checking the out-of-the-way bowls or little hanging valleys.

If i was you, i would absolutely go when you get a chance. You never know what could change in later years that will cause you to regret not going now and ive never thought 'i wish i didn't go'.

Krico
09-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Just be prepared mentally, gear and food wise for full on winter - temps well below freezing, deep snow and ice are very realistic possibilities. Not just a "summer storm" where it melts the next day.
Last late season sheep hunt I did a blizzard blew in day 1 as we stalked rams, chasing us off the mountain. Snow never stopped for a week. And it got effin cold.
That said, I'd still go if I was you!

09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Go ..... You never know what tomorrow will bring. Life changes, you got the draw!

a long haired late season Ram is Beautiful, best looking of all season capes IMO.

Besides going sheep HUNTIN is well ...... The best.

MattW
09-02-2016, 06:34 AM
Are you planning to do a fly-in hunt?

I haven't done a late season sheep hunt so I don't know if the lake freezing will be an issue in early October but I know if the weather is crappy on a fly-in (like the blizzard Krico talked about) you'll have to sit tight until your pilot can fly.

Workinirn
09-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the quick responses!
Should be heading up the second week of September (9th) as this job will be over by then. Pretty sure I would be heading up for the hunt but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some critical information. Definitely started to reconsider the clothes I planned on taking up with me, since snow and cold temps are going to be present. Any other late season essentials ?
Going to be driving up, picking a friend up on the way.

This will be my first sheep hunt, and my first time driving across B.C. Either way, it should be a great experience!

Jrax
09-02-2016, 11:32 AM
keep your water bottle in your bag or beside you if its freezing at night. I bring an extra toque and gloves preferably wool - doesn't weigh much.

Krico
09-02-2016, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't really consider September 9 late season, more like mid season. Have experienced temps from +25 to -10 at that time. Only big difference in gear early vs late season is clothing and sleeping bag choice, might need more stove fuel for warm drinks etc. September 9 weather likely much nicer than the last 10 days of season in October.
Good luck.

Cat catcher
09-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I just got in today from sheep hunting we got up to 16 inches of snow in the high country here in atlin but there still lots of Rams out there. I left a few on the mountain for you.

Sitkaspruce
09-02-2016, 07:30 PM
If you are going Mid Sept, you should be good for weather.

In all the time we went late Sept to early Oct, we were only snowed out once, so we shot an elk instead and chased moose around. Most pilots don't like to leave it too late as the lakes are starting to ice up and you have to keep in mind that your lake might be OK, but the home lake might not!!

Good luck!!!

Cheers

SS

.264winmag
09-02-2016, 07:48 PM
keep your water bottle in your bag or beside you if its freezing at night. I bring an extra toque and gloves preferably wool - doesn't weigh much.

Better yet, boil water for your bottles and keep em in your sleeping bag at night! Some toasty...

Workinirn
09-04-2016, 04:24 AM
I just got in today from sheep hunting we got up to 16 inches of snow in the high country here in atlin but there still lots of Rams out there. I left a few on the mountain for you.

Glad to hear you left a few ..

Workinirn
09-04-2016, 04:26 AM
If you are going Mid Sept, you should be good for weather.

In all the time we went late Sept to early Oct, we were only snowed out once, so we shot an elk instead and chased moose around. Most pilots don't like to leave it too late as the lakes are starting to ice up and you have to keep in mind that your lake might be OK, but the home lake might not!!

Good luck!!!

Cheers

SS

We'll be driving up and hiking in. No pilot needed, just some extra calories hah .