PDA

View Full Version : who got lucky today

butthead
09-01-2016, 02:53 PM
any one out there get anything?

itsy bitsy xj
09-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Is this where I make a wise a$$ comment about your wife getting lucky?

adriaticum
09-01-2016, 04:25 PM

That's more an a$$ than a wise comment ;)

rocksteady
09-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I know of someone who arrowed an elk. He's from HBC

09-01-2016, 04:40 PM
I got lucky late Aug 31 ....... It went well into Set. 1st, but be dammed it didn't last till daylight so the shot was illegal.

Blanked so far. :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
09-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Too frigging wet up here right now!!! Getting around is tough with the peace gumbo at maximum crappyness!!!

Will head out this weekend after it dries out a bit.

Cheers

SS

Ohwildwon
09-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Too frigging wet up here right now!!! Getting around is tough with the peace gumbo at maximum crappyness!!!

Cheers

SS
Maximum Crappyness!

Thats a good one!

Selling any t shirts?..lmao...

Ferenc
09-01-2016, 07:12 PM

Cheers

SS
Heard your setting some records this year.. I'm looking at my chains right now... Reckon I better pack em !!!

338 whisper
09-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I seen one yote and have sore feet. Seen some of hunters had a few chats. It was a great day.

butthead
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM

i thought she was pretty happy that i was going hunting today must be why
dam cougar hunters

adamgarbett
09-01-2016, 08:07 PM

Cheers

SS

Its insane up here. Rain rain go away. I would kill to see some sun just for an hour!!

300H&H
09-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I saw LOTS of deer today but no bucks.
Spoke with one guy who has been seeing bucks in the area so Im hoping for a Saturday buck.

Brew
09-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Hunted a new area that looked promising today. Lots of old rubs and new ones a couple days old. The elk were not responding to calling but I'm going to keep trying because the spot looks really good.
Had a great day in the bush and broke my new boots in. Felt great to out there with the bow.

Buckmeister
09-01-2016, 09:27 PM
The first thing I saw was another hunter. Then a small black bear, a coyote, 5 chickens, and 3 White Tail bucks in a field on private land. One was a forker in velvet, the other a small 4x4, the third was a decent sized white horned 5x5. Kinda reminded me how last season turned out, all the nice deer on private land.

wifigary
09-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Was out two different times today, slept in the truck overnight, then up at 4:45am. Trail cam showed a big buck the day before, but I couldn't find him. Saw one other hunter who spotted a bull moose. Went home, took a nap then went out for round two this evening. Drove some FSR's for 2.5 hours and only saw one WT doe.

kaptin
09-01-2016, 09:47 PM
My son nailed a super nice four pointer 8:30am this morning. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/Kevin_phelan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Kevin_phelan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg.html)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/Kevin_phelan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Kevin_phelan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg.html)

mpotzold
09-01-2016, 09:51 PM
My son nailed a super nice four pointer 8:30am this morning. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/Kevin_phelan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Kevin_phelan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg.html)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/Kevin_phelan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Kevin_phelan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg.html)

Wow! Congrats!
Some mighty fine eating coming up!:grin:

HarryToolips
09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
^^^^^nice buck congrats!

Shikari300WSM
09-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the beaut! We seen lots of bucks but unable to close the distance. Hiking into some slashes. Not enough cover for bow hunters. Got to figure out a new strategy. Some nice 4 pointers around though!

bang flop
09-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Great buck! Even better foot ware...

mulieaddiction
09-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Thats an awsome buck he doesnt even look happy

scotty30-06
09-02-2016, 01:55 AM
Bang flop you called it hahha.....but yea man awesome buck....congrats!!!!

kaptin
09-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Thank you all. Yes my son and his shoes lol. He was the one who last year wore flip flops. Was he happy? I know the picture doesn't show it but I never heard him that excited. He doesn't like to smile in pictures. Really not much of a story we were driving to our spot we like to hike around when I spotted this buck across the gulley. It was three or four hundred yards away. We had sighted rifle in last weekend and I had seen him hit 1" MOA so I was confident in his ability. I didn't want to push him though. I said to him it's your choice and we have all day to find another one. He decided to try I helped him with the ballistics and told him where to aim to compensate for the ballistics. He took a shot and missed. Buck didn't move at all. He readjusted and Relaxed and placed one right behind the shoulder in the boiler room. I am one proud dad. He has worked hard for that deer. He has practiced so hard.
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/Kevin_phelan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpeg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Kevin_phelan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpeg.html)

Iltasyuko
09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Nice story - good for him!

plumberjustin
09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Great buck! Even better foot ware...

if I recall, last year kaptin posted a photo of his son wearing flip flops posing with a buck. Must be sittin on horse shoes to keep finding nice deer right out the passenger door of the truck, haha. Beauty buck, I'd be taking that one right to the taxidermist.

kaptin
09-02-2016, 07:20 AM
We have worked hard to learn the game and patterns they have in this area. We have walked hundred of miles around here. He said same as last year he didn't think we would see one until we got to our spot and that's when he would change his foot wear.

wideopenthrottle
09-02-2016, 09:33 AM
nice job on the muley buck...pretty good size to the body too by the looks of it

Surrey Boy
09-02-2016, 09:36 AM
I murdered Bambi's mother. Love the generous seasons on Van Isle.

sawmill
09-02-2016, 11:45 AM
We have worked hard to learn the game and patterns they have in this area. We have walked hundred of miles around here. He said same as last year he didn't think we would see one until we got to our spot and that's when he would change his foot wear.
Just buy him a pair of socks! Beauty buck, Congrats!

M.Dean
09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Congrats to Kaptin's Son for taking one hell'va nice early buck! We didn't see any Mulie's this morning at all, But, we did see around 20 or so WT's, and out of those 5 were bucks, one real nice 3x3 but on private land, and one gagger, looked to 5x5'ish but he knew he was in No Man's Land and left at around Mach 10!!! Still lots of time left, just quit raining so hopefully tomorrow we can take the quads out instead of the XL7, but that heater and radio sure felt good this morning! And if anyones coming up this way for a weekend of camping, carry chains and good winter tires, and bring some "Dry Wood"! Right now you'd have trouble lighting a camp fire with a tiger torch! And Good Luck to all the "Youth Hunters" out this weekend! This is what it's all about!

walks with deer
09-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Braved the rain and snow and got a huge caribou yesterday...very sore and very happy.

takla1
09-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Braved the rain and snow and got a huge caribou yesterday...very sore and very happy.

congrates W.W.D....westof ft nelson I'm thinking?
takla

firstshot
09-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Congrats to Kaptin's Son for taking one hell'va nice early buck! We didn't see any Mulie's this morning at all, But, we did see around 20 or so WT's, and out of those 5 were bucks, one real nice 3x3 but on private land, and one gagger, looked to 5x5'ish but he knew he was in No Man's Land and left at around Mach 10!!! Still lots of time left, just quit raining so hopefully tomorrow we can take the quads out instead of the XL7, but that heater and radio sure felt good this morning! And if anyones coming up this way for a weekend of camping, carry chains and good winter tires, and bring some "Dry Wood"! Right now you'd have trouble lighting a camp fire with a tiger torch! And Good Luck to all the "Youth Hunters" out this weekend! This is what it's all about!

Winter Tires? What area are you in??

Ferenc
09-02-2016, 07:42 PM
That's awesome..... Been following your ordeal... Good to hear !!!!!

Sitkaspruce
09-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Heard your setting some records this year.. I'm looking at my chains right now... Reckon I better pack em !!!

Yup, approx. 121mm for the month and 88 in the last 6 days.......but supposed to stop tomorrow and back to seasonal temps by Tuesday.....which will mean warmer temps and wind....

Its insane up here. Rain rain go away. I would kill to see some sun just for an hour!!

Saw it for 30 min at 620 this morning!!! It is returning next week.....

Roads up here are dangerous and scary.....was out the other day and had are hard time keeping the truck on the road. Definitely need chains, tow rope or winch and rubber boots!!!

Give it a few days and they will be back to normal

Cheers

SS

Surrey Boy
09-02-2016, 09:14 PM

I bet!
Congratulations.

pieter
09-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Maybe when she gets home

Surrey Boy
09-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Maybe when she gets home

If it's a "maybe", swap her out for something more reliable.

If you only have one of something, it had better work every time.

RackStar
09-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I love the footwear on that buck! Beats last years flip flops.
Oh ya, sweet buck!

Ddog
09-02-2016, 10:18 PM
I know of someone who arrowed an elk. He's from HBC

,,ya that was me,,and i think i was elated that i arrowed one just after 8am,,yup,,was pretty awesome ,,wish you were there... sometimes work just comes first ,eh my friend.

yota
09-03-2016, 09:02 AM

I've seen the pic and thats a hog of a bou. HUGE tops on that guy

300H&H
09-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Super nice buck Kaptins son....the leggings and shoes do leave something to be desired. lol

300H&H
09-03-2016, 09:52 AM
,,ya that was me,,and i think i was elated that i arrowed one just after 8am,,yup,,was pretty awesome ,,wish you were there... sometimes work just comes first ,eh my friend.

Congratulations, ant pictures to share ?

Ddog
09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
ahhh,,,just a cow elk,,but i was strictly hunting for a legal elk to take, was pretty cool seeing about 50 before one finally came down the right trail for me.
i am super stoked to have a great elk in the freezer on opening morning, that makes 4 elk with the bow now. Now i sit and wait for the call to come help get one out of the bush, Its funny,,we all wait so long for the hunt to start and just like that its over,,but i did get to sit and watch a few places near the end of august so that really paid off,,and was well worth it.

walks with deer
09-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Yota if you can post a pic for me that would be cool as you no I am handicap on my phone

gmachine19
09-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Finally bagged my first deer on opening day @ 3pm!!! Stalked him and got to 31 yrds then I let my crossbow sing its silent lullaby!

smallfry14
09-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Finally bagged my first deer on opening day @ 3pm!!! Stalked him and got to 31 yrds then I let my crossbow sing its silent lullaby!

lets see the pictures!

gmachine19
09-03-2016, 06:26 PM
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/gmachine19/firstdeerharvest_zpsvzwlxohe.jpg (http://s429.photobucket.com/user/gmachine19/media/firstdeerharvest_zpsvzwlxohe.jpg.html)

The shot placement was a bit to the left than what i wanted but the buck fever was so strong in me that I'm amazed I connected!

Iltasyuko
09-03-2016, 06:44 PM
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/gmachine19/firstdeerharvest_zpsvzwlxohe.jpg (http://s429.photobucket.com/user/gmachine19/media/firstdeerharvest_zpsvzwlxohe.jpg.html)

The shot placement was a bit to the left than what i wanted but the buck fever was so strong in me that I'm amazed I connected!

Nice job! Good for you.

butthead
09-03-2016, 09:08 PM
that poor kid is going to have a shoe complex now
that cross bow sure put a big tear in that deer

NLaferriere
09-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Had some decent encounters on opener. Had a 3 yr old bull elk want to rip my head off. Unfortunately there was a creek and impossibly thick bush between us. Got to 80 yards from him and realized there was no getting to him with the bow. Decided to back out. Was awesome bugling and chuckling back and forth with him. Watched him chase two smaller bulls away and put on his best dance moves for a lone cow. Then the rains came...and never stopped.

Had one other encounter with a smaller bull when my girlfriend came out to hunt. Same deal, he couldn't cross the creek. He was thrashing the brush in the bottom that got my girlfriend's blood pumping. She asked if he would spear her. Haha. Then a big bodied bull came out and chased the little guy away. Was too dark to see his headgear, but by the sound of his bugle and shape of his body, he was mature. We did cross the creek two nights but nothing came out. Seemed they liked to show off but weren't interested in a real fight. =P

After that, no action. Got tired of being soaked and headed home. Hiked 40kms in 3 days before the season scouting out the area. Found lots of sign and fresh rubs. Several 10-16" diameter trees rubbed to the core. Found a really old 6x6 deadhead that was under a pile of brush.
Feet are pretty banged up, hoping I can recover and get back out there.

caddisguy
09-07-2016, 07:40 AM
Nice work to all cutting tags early! Thanks for posting the pics too!!