PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Black Bear?

DarekG
09-01-2016, 12:47 PM
I'll be going for my first Black Bear this weekend, curious what other hunters look for in their "shooting" bear?

I know the sows are generally more slender and have a long neck.
Boars are bulkier, don't have a very noticeable neck, and they have a more square head.

The only tip I was really given to judge a black bear was to look at the size of its ears, if they seem small its a big bear. Anything else I should be keeping in mind?

tigrr
09-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Wait a few minutes to see if the bear has cubs. Watch through binoculars. Sows look behind themselves a lot. Boars just eat and move. Young boars are on alert as well.

russm
09-01-2016, 01:55 PM
I think they get offended if you say "black bear", the PC term is african canadian bear ;)

DBM
09-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Sows have narrower faces. Bigger boars have small ears more on the sides of their heads and the big ones typically walk with more of a swagger or attitude. Younger bears appear to be longer legged vs older bears who's bellies are closer to the ground.

The big thing is to watch the bear for several minutes to see if it's keeping an eye on Cubs. I wouldn't go by neck length, in my experience the really big boys have a long neck more like a polar bear

itsy bitsy xj
09-01-2016, 02:41 PM
I think they get offended if you say "black bear", the PC term is african canadian bear ;)

I laughed so hard I almost choked

Yeah as its been said look and wait and look some more you don;t wanna hit a momma with cubs.
Where and how are you hunting? I though bears didn't open until the 10th unless you're stupid, I mean brave enough to use a bow

boblly1
09-01-2016, 02:50 PM
my first question is if you live on van isle why would you want shoot a bear that,s been eating fish for three months and will likely taste like a sockeye

HarryToolips
09-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I'll be going for my first Black Bear this weekend, curious what other hunters look for in their "shooting" bear?

I know the sows are generally more slender and have a long neck.
Boars are bulkier, don't have a very noticeable neck, and they have a more square head.

The only tip I was really given to judge a black bear was to look at the size of its ears, if they seem small its a big bear. Anything else I should be keeping in mind?

And if the belly hangs closer to the ground, and look for a good sized head by the space between the ears, that is then usually a bigger bear..

Steeleco
09-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Bears are open Today in Reg 3 and 8 that I know of. Now who's "stupid" LOL

ajr5406
09-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Ha ha. Good one....

Sportster
09-01-2016, 03:58 PM
I think they get offended if you say "black bear", the PC term is african canadian bear ;)So what's the correct PC for color faze bears?

DarekG
09-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the input guys! And yes, I'm in region 8 so rifle season started today for bears.

So what's the correct PC for color faze bears?

I called the one I saw by its rap name, Big Cinnamon.

Carrollizer
09-01-2016, 04:52 PM
So what's the correct PC for color faze bears?
I think Trudeau would want us to refer to those as trans-bears

untilthelastbeat
09-01-2016, 05:09 PM
my first question is if you live on van isle why would you want shoot a bear that,s been eating fish for three months and will likely taste like a sockeye

You do realize not every bear on the island heads for the salmon rivers right? And also what is it of your concern what he feels is the right time or place to shoot a bear. It's hunting season, let us hunt.

604Stalker
09-01-2016, 05:15 PM
When looking for a boar this year I discovered that boars alont with being alone and generally caring alot less thatb your there they walk with 'swagger' Ibknow it sounds weird but the 2 ovbious boars I observed this year were strutting down the road or feild they are usually the apex in their area and will show it.

markomoose
09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
I would love to get out but I got this BBQ Gazebo to complete.No more BBQ in sh***y weather.Then I have this old travel trailer repurposed into my new quad/hunting trailer.Gotta go hard in the shop this weekend.Weld-Grind and Repeat.Gotta get hunting SOON!!!.Bears are hard to judge but a large bear is usually a dead bear.

180grainer
09-01-2016, 07:39 PM
If it's got a penis and testicles I'll guarantee you it's boar....:)

monasheemountainman
09-01-2016, 07:43 PM
You do realize not every bear on the island heads for the salmon rivers right? And also what is it of your concern what he feels is the right time or place to shoot a bear. It's hunting season, let us hunt.

What he said!

two-feet
09-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Look for any bear without cubs. I would not wait for a "shooter" for your first, just try to get one. More important to take your time on a good shot.

Bears are very abundant, no harm in taking a young one or a sow.

Good luck!

BChunter
09-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Watch the bear for a while if possible to see if its rubbed on either side if a nice fur is what your after. There are lots of b-bears out there so take your time. The fat also can be rendered and an old lady told me its the best pastry lard ever for pie crusts!