PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use other than SPOT

mikek blacktail
09-01-2016, 11:34 AM
So I just went to hook up my spot and realized they jacked up the prices to 149.99 usd which will be close to 200 with exchange rate . I don't really want to spend 200$ for 8 days , we have a sat phone but there finicky.What other options are you guys using for communication when out of cell range?

Carrollizer
09-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Smoke signals and whistles
i wish I could afford the luxury of a spot system. Never really had the need

morphiend
09-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I picked up a used Delmore InReach for cheap of Craigslist. I do pay monthly, I think $20ish then up my contract for hunting season. I really like. I used SPOT at work and prefer the Delmore. There are a couple lengthy threads on this topic

Stresd
09-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Ditched my spot for in my opinion, the far superior Inreach se

honeyman76
09-01-2016, 01:11 PM
I use an Inreach SE, was able to keep; my wife up to date on my location including my estimated time back home etc. Its a great unit and we all know that "I will be home by 8PM is never the case. We always get side tracked and are late. Can't beat the texting option. Downfall is, you need patience when sending a text. It takes time to send and receive.

Stresd
09-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Can't beat the texting option. Downfall is, you need patience when sending a text. It takes time to send and receive.

I have an old android phone that I use bluetoothed to my SE. Sending all my texts and E-mails by using my phone is quick and easy. Can even use voice recognition to create your messages if you want. My Inreach is just used as the transmitter/receiver. All messages via my inreach are sent and received on my phone.

Badlands62
09-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Still have the SPOT and the renewal comes up in mid November, bought the InReach SE seems OK but I haven't really had played with it a lot. The SPOT works great and have had no issues. If you don't have a smart phone to use with InReach it can be a pain in the A$$ to type on it using the toggle over way.. I have 90 days to try it ..

Badlands

New Bow Hunter
09-01-2016, 08:14 PM
I use a Ham radio

300rum700
09-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Inreach is the way to go. I have both and won't be renewing the sort account.

Caveman
09-01-2016, 09:02 PM
I have the inreach and quite like that you can send customized messages on the fly. U can suspend the subscription to a $4.95 monthly charge which makes it very affordable

Bear Chaser
09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Purchased and used an InReach this year. I prefer it to the Spot. However I do not like that it has its own battery source rather than replaceable AAA batteries like the Spot. This necessitates a reliable means of recharging which adds extra weight, space whereas the Spot takes I think three AAAs.
I tried some small solar chargers that I was less than impressed with. The InReach claims 100 hours on 10 minute tracks. It is more like 80 before it starts going into battery save mode if not less. I ended up just using it every few hours to update our progress by sending texts rather than the track feature.
As others have stated texting with it is frustrating at first but the ability for 2 way comms outweighs the inconvenience. If I was able to keep it plugged in or recharge every couple days I would pair it to my phone.

Definitely an improvement over Spot but it is not the be all end all. Extended trips over 7-10 days require very judicious use and an external charger of some kind.

chele
09-01-2016, 10:37 PM
I got the older version of the inreach, it is more expensive that the spot. i was seriously considering the personal locator beacon from the link below. It doesnt require a contract but it can only be used for a SOS signal vs the spot/inreach SOS + two-way communication feature.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-820/Fastfind-Ranger-Personal-Locator-Beacon

Stresd
09-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Purchased and used an InReach this year. If I was able to keep it plugged in or recharge every couple days I would pair it to my phone.

Definitely an improvement over Spot but it is not the be all end all. Extended trips over 7-10 days require very judicious use and an external charger of some kind.

For my 2 week packins I've carried the same 50,000 Mah battery bank for the last few years. 3"x5"x3/4" at 10 oz . Small and not very heavy for what it does. will recharge the 1800 mah battery on my phone 27 times or my inreach 2450 mah battery 20 times. Used to keep both my phone and inreach charged for 14 days has never problem. Even when my partner kills his phone a few times by playing games when bored. Mines about 4 years old paid $16 bucks for it and I'm probably due for a new one. New ones now come water proof with a solar charger on one side. Under 20 bucks to your door and available in different mah(10,000, 20,000 etc)out of Hong Kong. Will solve your charging problems. My inreach is on all the time during the day but my phone only gets turned on when I hear a tweet that recieved message is waiting or I want to send a message.
Take your pick:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=battery%20bank%2050000&rt=nc&LH_FS=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Krico
09-02-2016, 08:28 AM
I carry a gen II SPOT. I can message family that I'm still alive, send a custom message to pilot I'm ready for pickup or SOS emergency. I don't want communication with the outside world ruining my experience or cutting it short. I certainly don't want anyone sending me texts. Part of the reason I'm out there, is to disconnect.

TreeStandMan
09-02-2016, 09:25 AM
We just got an EPIRB. It's basically a holy $*!# button, with no tracking, texting, bells or whistles, but it also has no contract or ongoing fee.

mike31154
09-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Handheld VHF radio. Also helps me from getting creamed by logging trucks thundering down FSRs I use to access prime hunting terrain. And yes you need a license to use one. Costs around $50 a year.

bighornbob
09-02-2016, 03:30 PM
I had a SPOT but now carry the inreach. Way better unit. Love it that when you send out a message you get a reply within a minute. I have no issues with the typing on the unit as I am not sending long texts or asking how the wifes day was. I basically use it for "Camping here" and basic texts. I send 3-4 texts out maybe twice a day and other then that the unit is shut off. So battery life is long. I don't use the tracking function or leave it all day for the GPS. IF I need the GPS I turn the unit on get a direction and distance then shut it off. I turn it on again half hour later to see how its going.

Bear Chaser
09-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks Stresd.
I'll check them out.

Bear Chaser
09-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I really wasn't too happy about having the wife, friends etc be able to contact me whenever they wanted either.

However when a member of our party broke his leg too far back to even consider riding out to a quad trail on the back of a horse it was nice to be able to arrange an evacuation without having to call in paramedics or search and rescue. A few texts to the hunting partners wife and she was able to make it happen the next morning. The coordinates sent with the text plus the info that there was a safe landing zone were all the pilot needed.
The InReach paid for itself right then and there in my opinion.

.30-06 camsavbc
09-02-2016, 10:46 PM
So I just went to hook up my spot and realized they jacked up the prices to 149.99 usd which will be close to 200 with exchange rate . I don't really want to spend 200$ for 8 days , we have a sat phone but there finicky.What other options are you guys using for communication when out of cell range?
I use Delormes InReach Explorer Satellite texting gps. Works perfect from anywhere. You can also email from it.

mooze
09-03-2016, 08:48 PM
my brain...