PDA

View Full Version : North Island Trip

Amphibious
09-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Leaving this evening for a little camping, kayak fishing, and spearfishing/freediving. Will start in the Winter Harbor area and work my way back with stops in Telegraph Cove and the Sayward area. If anyone needs any extra seat filled on a boat or willing to play water taxi (drop off, pickup few days later, i have sat phone) I've got a decent Fuel/Beer fund, or baring that, HBC'ers are always welcome for a dram at my campfire.

sheep hunter
09-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Just came back from a fishing trip at Winter Harbor. Fishing was slow due to high winds out past the light house but fairly good on the inlet for Coho's

jonz
09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Have a great adventure.

Amphibious
09-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tips SH! Ill be targetting Lingcod and rockfish, salmon are verboten with spears. The outside looks promising for the weekend, ill be camping up near San Joeseph.

Sitkaspruce
09-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Make sure you visit Palmerston and fish out front. Great place for a yak and some pretty good bottom fish off the shores. If you cross the creek and head around the point, there is some neat stuff to see!!

Good luck and be safe, winds have been crazy there this year. Hopefully the usual Sept weather shows up.

Cheers

SS

Amphibious
09-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Palmerston is the first stop, but have to paddle 2km north to get out of the TopKnot RCA. Fingers crossed for Wx.

dabber
09-01-2016, 10:22 PM
The surfaces water is quite warm this time of year so you'll have to go deeper to get threw the thermocline.
Another place you might want to try is the rocks between Grant Bay and Cains light house. Larger boats don't like going in there but you should do well with your kayak. The weather is still looking good for this weekend, I'm hoping to go out a little farther for some tuna.