PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder angle compensation

p0stij
08-31-2016, 09:40 PM
I'm going to buy a rangefinder tomorrow, trying to figure out if it's worth spending the extra $ for a model that has angle compensation.

I hunt mostly bow, so inside 40 yards, but a little rifle hunting as well as lots of time spent in steep mountainous terrain.

Thoughts?

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Vortex Ranger is a GOOD unit ! jmo RJ

Buckmeister
08-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Not my field of expertise. But if I understand correctly, a rangefinder is a laser device that shoots a laser that reflects off the object being viewed back to the finder. Are we talking the object being viewed is on an angle? Or, are we talking a difference in elevation? I wouldn't think an elevation difference would be a problem. But if the object is at a sever angle, then maybe the laser doesn't reflect well, and a compensation would be handy. Either way, when I range something, I look for an object that will give me a good reading, or at least something close by that will.

AgSilver
08-31-2016, 11:24 PM
Do the ones for hunting with angle compensation function like the golf ones that account for "slope"? What I mean is that, with the golf ones, if you range something that's 150 yards but it's higher up, it might say it's "effectively" 175 yards. Is that how the angle comp works on the hunting RFs?

Bugle M In
08-31-2016, 11:27 PM
Do the ones for hunting with angle compensation function like the golf ones that account for "slope"? What I mean is that, with the golf ones, if you range something that's 150 yards but it's higher up, it might say it's "effectively" 175 yards. Is that how the angle comp works on the hunting RFs?

yup.......................

monasheemountainman
08-31-2016, 11:34 PM
Go for one that compensates for elevation worth the extra $

CSG
08-31-2016, 11:39 PM
worth the extra money. Especially for bow hunters regardless of range. Take a 35 yard shot at a 50 degree downhill angle and shoot for distances change a lot

Dash
09-01-2016, 12:00 AM
The Redfield Raider 600a and 650a (650 just came out) both have angle compensation. I know people who use the 600a and it works decent enough. I just bought the 650a myself for $300. Obviously it's not as nice as some of the more expensive ones with that option but it does well enough.

tinbird
09-01-2016, 03:32 AM
A lot of units out there now with it and at a good price, it is basically using Pythagorean's Theorem. They will show you the distance to hold based on the horizontal distance from you to the target if you were at the same elevation.

.264winmag
09-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Getting a rangefinder without true ballistic range aka equivalent horizontal range is a waste of $. Angles matter, and punching the angle into a ballistics program is wasting time in the field.

Hillbros_96
09-01-2016, 06:24 AM
Most definitely worth it, especially bow hunting as the angle can change the distance by 5 yards in 40. Which in archery can mean the difference between a clean kill and a wound. For rifle, I don't think it matters as much unless you are shooting long yardages or super steep.

375shooter
09-01-2016, 06:30 AM
Getting the angle compensation IS worth the extra money, especially for bow hunting.

BiG Boar
09-01-2016, 06:47 AM
I hate to be the guy to go the opposite way but angle compensation for most bowhunting situations isn't really necessary. On a fairly steep slope at reasonable bow range it may change by 3 yards maximum. You arent going to change your aim point for 3 lousy yards. In the rifle world, and in longer distance archery/rifle shooting they are necessary. Personally I would buy a good one, good ones start at $600. The $300 ones will just piss you off as they don't effectively range in all conditions past 500 yards. And I don't say this because I expect you to shoot past 500 yards, I say this because you'll see something, range it, and be like, I don't know if its 1000 or 550, or if its 300, and just not working well under the conditions.

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Steep slopes are one thing as it does have to be pretty extreme to make a difference, but hunting from a tree stand or from some bluffs is another.

I have the Bushnell "The Truth" rangefinder (around $300). It has angle compensation, but doesn't have a few other features I would like, such as a lit display for low light. As Big Boars implies, it maxes out effectively at 5-600 yards, but I rarely hunt places where I can shoot more that 200 yards and my skill and equipment isn't there much beyond 300. If I feel like investing the time and effort into becoming one of those long range hunters then a rangefinder upgrade will be a drop in the bucket at that time.

boxhitch
09-01-2016, 08:21 AM
IMO rangefinders should be a learning tool , to confirm or dismiss best estimates with the eyeballs. Learn to judge distances and then also ones limitations .
For too many hunters a rangefinder is a crutch.

It drives me crazy watching a show with hunter constantly ranging an approaching elk come inside 50 yds , continually ranging in to ~30 or 20 , instead of already being at full draw.
I know, most shows are about product marketing, but should also be real world.

Elkchaser
09-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Agree with boxhitch, but also think it is essential archery gear in developing both your archery and rifle range estimation skills. A five yard underestimation at a 40-50 yard deer shot with an 'average' speed bow can put your arrow in the dirt (or worse). I always carefully estimate distances first, then confirm with finder. Shy of pacing everything to develop your ranging skills, an arc compensating finder is handy. When still or stand hunting I always yard a bunch of objects to calibrate distances, then finder goes away. Now using vortex ranger 1000. Mid range price, but good for bow/rifle, has lit reticle option and great warranty.

boxhitch
09-01-2016, 11:31 AM
On a fairly steep slope at reasonable bow range it may change by 3 yards maximum.Hiking a rocky ridge and spotting a Mdeer buck at 40 yds. A 30 deg angle means a 35 yd pin, while a 45 deg angle which is very possible, means a ~30 yd aim.
Getting out there, yes, but better to know than to guess.

ThinAir
09-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Get one with angle compensation. Guys will tell ya you don't need it, but one day you may do mountain hunts and it will make a difference. (Depending on distance up to 10yards in my experience)
Another thing... I'd get the longest ranging one you can afford(ie 1000yd or so) again.. guys will say you don't need it for archery but I disagree. I use mine all the time when planning a stalk. Ranging landmarks in relation to a bedded animal etc to gauge the distance between a bedded animal and maybe a rock or bush I think I can get to for a shot. Measure the distance between the two and you'll know the potential range of your shot. I've planned stalks 500yards in advance using this method.

p0stij
09-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys, bought one today. Budget was definitely a factor so I bought one on sale. Halo 1000yard with "angle intelligence." Should work well for my needs.