PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Mosquito Lk (North of Whatshan)

Looking_4_Jerky
08-31-2016, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm planning an outing to Mosquito Lake north of Whatshan. I was wondering if anyone happen to know anything about the following:

-The condition or rough time estimate of taking the Shelter Bay FSR from Shelter Bay to Mosquito Lk?
-The condition or rough time estimate of taking the Whatshan River Rd from Hwy 6 to Mosquito Lk (past Caribou Lake)?
-The condition or rough time estimate of taking the Lower Mosquito Rd between Arrow Park and where it meets the Whatshan River Rd?
-The condition or rough time estimate of taking the Saddle Mtn Rd between Arrow Park and Mosquito Lk?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide any info; greatly appreciated!!

Jerky

.264winmag
08-31-2016, 04:59 PM
long story short the saddle via arrow park ferry is your best bet these days.

boxhitch
08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Time estimate ? for back country cruising ? Bring a twofour
Condition ? slow and easy

.264winmag
08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Time estimate ? for back country cruising ? Bring a twofour
Condition ? slow and easy

Not sure where you're coming from? But the other routes are super rough. A 24 is always mandatory...

DarekG
08-31-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't have anything to contribute other than the fact that Mosquito Lake, based on name alone, sounds like the most miserable place in the world. :lol:

andrewheth
08-31-2016, 08:25 PM
I was there this spring. I came in on the arrow park ferry and left on shelter bay fsr. Shelter bay is rough as hell and almost washed out in one spot. The ferry is the best way but not fun if you plan on bringing a trailer. The approach to the ferry on both ends is fairly steep for the average travel trailer.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks to the respondents!! I will heed your great advice and make sure 24 is by my side!!

I'm coming from Kamloops, so I could go either via Revi or Cherryville, but it sounds like I wouldn't want to go the Shelter Bay FSR route from what Andrewheth says. Which of course leaves me a few different route options from Fauquier, which seems to be the most logical place to gas up before heading up to Mosquito Lk. I have no trailer, so no issues there.

Andrewheth, which way did you take from Arrow Park (Lower Mosquito vs Saddle Mtn Rd), and do you happen to recall how long it took from Arrow Park to Mozzie Lk?

.264winmag
09-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks to the respondents!! I will heed your great advice and make sure 24 is by my side!!

I'm coming from Kamloops, so I could go either via Revi or Cherryville, but it sounds like I wouldn't want to go the Shelter Bay FSR route from what Andrewheth says. Which of course leaves me a few different route options from Fauquier, which seems to be the most logical place to gas up before heading up to Mosquito Lk. I have no trailer, so no issues there.

Andrewheth, which way did you take from Arrow Park (Lower Mosquito vs Saddle Mtn Rd), and do you happen to recall how long it took from Arrow Park to Mozzie Lk?

I travelled via whatshan past cariboo lakes last year, it's an absolute goat trail. Trailer axle dragging in the creek crossings. Partner did the arrowpark ferry route a couple months ago and it was decent, he talked to a logger that said the whatshan route was terrible.