PDA

View Full Version : Carrying game from one region while hunting in another region

brig
08-31-2016, 12:21 PM
I have a question I'm wondering if you guys can enlighten me. Me and 3 buddies have a shared moose draw in region 6 and I'm wondering about the legalities of coming home with 2 moose in the truck and stopping in region 3 on the way home for a couple days deer hunting. Are we allowed to have a harvested moose from region 6 in the bush with us in region 3 or is that not legal. I understand if we get checked a co would understandably have questions about our moose. Would dated pictures with the moose in region six with a clear landmark suffice as proof or is this just a bad idea? And we have a game cooler in our trailer so the meat would be fine.
Thanks
Brian

Ferenc
08-31-2016, 12:35 PM
I'd say no to dated pics.. When you reach region 3 get a hold of a CO , ministry official and get it inspected.. I did that with a region 7 Muley and still had time to hunt... They wrote on my license that it had been inspected.. Went out to Tranquille in Kamloops hung it at my buddy's place and hunted some more.

bighornbob
08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Nothing illegal about it but myself I would take a picture of the moose in the truck at say a gas station or something like that from a town closest to where you were hunting. That way it a CO could easily see that they came from out of region.

BHB

adriaticum
08-31-2016, 12:39 PM
That's why tags have region number on them and you are supposed to have your tag cancelled with your animal.

Salty
08-31-2016, 12:45 PM
You need to have cancelled tags and a story and some evidence that lines up to said cancelled tags no matter where you are with harvested game. I wouldn't over think it beyond that. Calling the CO to inform them you have a moose in your truck in their region would be a waste of their time and yours, unless they are needed for a mandatory inspection, in which case they'll probably send you to a contractor anyway.

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 12:50 PM
I'd have no problem doing it. When I harvest an animal I tag it in my GPS, you can even start a Huntbuddy "TRACK" from that place back. I am going hunting for a specific time, not for one animal. I have multiple tags. Make sure the story is clear and pristine, you shouldn't have a problem.

Although, if you do like buddy above and wanna store it at someone's place ...better get it inspected first.

Darksith
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM
just stay within the law, have cancelled tags. Not much different than transporting a friends animal. There is a form for that, unless you are really breaking the law and your story is sketchy, they shouldn't have reason to hassle you too much. Ive had them question a punched tag from out of region, and even get real uptight questioning me, and saying that other CO is from that area...he came up and questioned where we were camped and such, I described it and he was comfortable with the story and let us be on our way.

Ron.C
08-31-2016, 12:58 PM
I can understand your concern. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, but t would be a pain in the @$$ if a CO didn't believe you. But I don't at all think calling a CO is ever a waste of time when it's done in the interest of avoiding any potential issues.

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 01:05 PM
I can understand your concern. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, but t would be a pain in the @$$ if a CO didn't believe you. But I don't at all think calling a CO is ever a waste of time when it's done in the interest of avoiding any potential issues.

That's a solid piece of advice, when unable to mark or GPS tag it, get a call make a report, get a file number with your submission. Anywhere from there to home that file is available for them to corroborate your story ...no more hassle.

warnniklz
08-31-2016, 01:24 PM
I've wandered from region 5 to region 3 with grouse before. I got a pee pee slap. So like others say, I'd make pre arrangements or get some sort of proof before heading from one hunting location to another in different regions.

Whonnock Boy
08-31-2016, 02:03 PM
The more proof you have, the easier it is for everyone involved. Pic at a gas station, field pics, gas receipts or any receipts at all, and the cancelled tag will make everyone's life a little easier. The biggest thing I would worry about it is temperature, depending on the draw date of course. There can be quite a difference in temps from region 6 to 3. Good luck.

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 02:09 PM
The more proof you have, the easier it is for everyone involved. Pic at a gas station, field pics, gas receipts or any receipts at all, and the cancelled tag will make everyone's life a little easier. The biggest thing I would worry about it is temperature, depending on the draw date of course. There can be quite a difference in temps from region 6 to 3. Good luck.

It's all good if you're hunting FD style, the wind in your hair, the comfort of your truck ...breeze of the road hunt will definitely help keep the temps down.

...:oops: sorry FD, too good of an opportunity to miss

Ferenc
08-31-2016, 04:50 PM
It's all good if you're hunting FD style, the wind in your hair, the comfort of your truck ...breeze of the road hunt will definitely help keep the temps down.

...:oops: sorry FD, too good of an opportunity to miss
I don't think he shot that smoker whitetail that way. : )

markomoose
08-31-2016, 06:21 PM
This is a good question!We have done it lots in the past.We go deer hunting for a week then moose for a week.Never got checked by C.O.'S.We did video tape all our adventures and still do.Evidence you were at a location is a great idea tho.It's totally legal!!

high and to the right
08-31-2016, 06:48 PM
I got an elk a few years back and some one came into my camp and stole the rack ( I think that they shot a cow or an illegal bull and needed my rack). I phoned the CO to report it and he chose to come to my camp to register it so I wouldn't have any issues transporting it. I would suggest that at the very least you should call and leave a message (if no one is in the office) at the CO's office to explain your situation and leave it up to them to decide whether they want to check you out or just document it and send you on your way.

J-Man
09-01-2016, 03:56 PM
I do long trips for multiple game, been inspected on the road/Hwy and at camp. Never had any problems with COs crossing and hunting 3 different MUs in one 14 day trip with bagged and tagged game.

brig
09-01-2016, 07:45 PM
I appreciate all the responses. At least now I can be sure it's legal. I will make sure we have proof of the region that we harvest our moose in. I guess this whole problem is only an issue if we actually find some moose though!

ajr5406
09-01-2016, 08:10 PM
If you hunt in region 6 and bring your moose back to Abby (region 2), isn't that the same thing, more or less? Your travelling between regions with a dead animal in your truck. That would probably account for 80% of hunters in the lower mainland.