PDA

View Full Version : Skulls for science - Deer , Wolf, Bear, Predators

jassmine
08-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I have colleagues at the university here who are in need of skulls and axial vertebrae (top 2 cervical vertebrae) for their collection and teaching labs.
They currently have a dermestid beetle colony, which zooms through flesh and can make the perfect european mount and do full skeletal jobs on smaller things.

Since the season is getting kickstarted thought I'd help them out and get the word out there.

Ideally for skulls they are looking for predators, primarily wolves, bears (brown ideally) and foxes.
In terms of ungulates, antlered deer (all species), any mountain goat or sheep, also possibly bigger ungulates.

Once this major collection is completed they may also be able to offer the opportunity to give out dermestid beetles to start your own colony for these jobs (though there is some maintenance and they kind of smell).

Anyhow, if anyone is interested and won't be doing anything with their skulls let me know and I can pass along contact info. They are also willing to drive a little ways to pick it up.

Thanks!

russm86
08-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Jassmine - You may want to mention a couple more things like will they actually be keeping the skulls permanently or will they just be documenting, studying, and cataloging them and returning them at some point in the future? I'm assuming since you used the word 'collection' that they intend to keep them which may deter some especially with any larger or trophy animals. Also, maybe some more detail on the exact use/purpose/reasons, like if they are looking for or studying something specific?

Also, on another note for anyone who does want to donate, make sure you have the paperwork in order, I know Universities / research institutes etc can have some exceptions in regards to not requiring permits etc for the specimens they collect but you may want to find out if you need to fill out any documents/paperwork and if you still need to include a copy of your species tag etc.

jassmine
08-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Yes of course, was just initially throwing it out there to see if there was any interest.

The idea is putting them into the teaching collection, which is permanent, where they can be catalogued and used as a resource for future or current research.
I don't think they had any great expectation of acquiring trophy or larger mammals, but if ever the opportunity arose, the collection would benefit.

The teaching collection is a departmental resource that helps preserve specimens from around the province and country to aid in teaching and research.
Ex. In classes like Vertebrate Zoology, skulls and cervical vertebrae are used to identify structures that diverge as species evolved (ex. teeth. bones of the jaw, processes on the vertebrae). This allows students to compare closely related species with those further away, and also compare how different environments led to evolution of certain structures.

Sometimes the collection is also used for research. In one of the field courses that's offered to grad students, all the collections that we do actually do get analyze and we have a pretty long time-series data on species diversity for a few forested sites which is allows us to look at community diversity changes over time and relate it to ecological and landscape factors. So the bigger the collection becomes the more potential for it to be used as a resource.

In terms of paperwork for species that are not endangered or at risk no permits are required. When they get birds of prey or something endangered they usually get a certificate of cause of death signed by the CO or ministry worker.
The information they would like to have would be: Area harvested, Date, and name of Harvester; just so that they can make up museum barcode tags with that information should researchers ever need it.

Let me know if there are any more questions! They're pretty low on mammal specimens, so are willing to take a variety of wild things.

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 03:49 PM
So just skull and cervical two?

jassmine
08-31-2016, 03:55 PM
Yes that's their immediate need with the Vertebrate Zoology labs right now.

DBM
08-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Whoops. 2 days too late, we just left one in the bush.

emerson
08-31-2016, 05:17 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

Drillbit
08-31-2016, 11:11 PM
Black bear specimens should be pretty abundant.

Very doubtful of someone offering up their "brown bear". Especially after going through the CI and paying money to document and register their harvest.

As for foxes, since they can't be hunted in BC and only trapped (as far as I know), you should hit up a trapper site for that.

And for wolves, most guys that get the chance to shoot at one and actually take a shot and then hit it, generally want to keep the skull. I'd also try talking to trappers for wolf specimens. There might be a market for them tho and they may not give them up either.

Should be lots of deer heads from the prairies after they check for CWD I would think?

Bear Chaser
09-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Why don't you set about collecting the specimens yourself? You know go hunting and actually kill something like a large predator instead of looking down your nose at others who do.
Good luck with getting hunters to donate their memories of the hunt or lift a finger to help you. Perhaps your professors can apply for seized animals to be donated to their departments by BC Fish & Wildlife.

markathome
09-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Bear Chaser - did you read the original post or any of the posts that followed? The OP is asking hunters to voluntarily donate skulls for research/students. There are many hunters (myself included) who don't keep anything from a hunt unless I can eat it and would not minding helping out.

At no point was the OP rude or disrespectful to the hunting community and you've made an ass of yourself.

wideopenthrottle
09-01-2016, 06:50 AM
unfortunately we cut the head off above the last vertebrae so no neck meat is wasted...would a spineless head be any good?

Steeleco
09-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Keep it Civil folks.

jassmine
09-01-2016, 08:08 AM
unfortunately we cut the head off above the last vertebrae so no neck meat is wasted...would a spineless head be any good?

Yep they don't have to be associated with each other. Axial vertebrae are only used in one of the upper level courses, while the skulls are used for a number of labs, courses and outreach activities.
They'll be used separately and classified stored on their own.

houndogger
09-01-2016, 08:26 AM
I'd contact the ministry they usually have some in the freezer.

BChunter
09-01-2016, 08:07 PM
I have an inspected river otter skull Jasmine in the freezer with all the meat still on if your interested. We are heading north to the Liard region tomorrow and we can try to bring something home for your group if its for science students and not anti-hunters. I'll pm the week of the 19th.