PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a velvet rack?

twoSevenO
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
if you can't treat it with formaldehyde or get it to a taxidermist the same day .... should you just peel it? how bad does it look once its peeled and washed? All peeled pics i see are immediately after its done and its still bloody and red looking.

What if its got some damage to it already? Just finish it off?

decker9
08-31-2016, 05:16 AM
A few years ago we took a caribou in velvet, we put 1" slits in the tip of each point and placed the rack upside down so it could drain. Can't remember, but we were 4-5 days before we got it to the taxidermist, and turned out perfect. Was cooler temps for late august tho, rain and wind. Not sure how it woulda made out in +20 type weather.

Patman7
08-31-2016, 08:05 AM
I have a caribou that I shot in the early nineties that is full velvet. When I brought it to the taxidermist after we got out (about a week later) he immersed it in salt and let it sit in there for a few weeks to dry out. It still looks good today!

Pat

Brian011
08-31-2016, 09:37 AM
If you have a big enough freezer, put it in there and let it freeze dry, the velvet on a mule deer I shot a few years ago ended up drying out nicely and looks good

Darksith
08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
wrap it in gauze to protect it during transport, and hope for the best. I like the idea of slits and draining it too...Ive also heard to apply some salt before you wrap it in guaze

Brian011
08-31-2016, 10:04 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5972&stc=1

twoSevenO
08-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Looks awesome. Did you clean the skull yourself or was it a taxidermy job? Curious how much they charge for a euro mount with velvet compared to a regular euro.

David Heitsman
08-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I killed a velvet 4 point hunting with Doug at Skinner Creek Outfitters in 2013 and I carried a litre of this milky solution, not formaldehyde, that I got online from a taxidermy supply store in Colorado as I recall. When the deer was killed, we slit the point tips and Doug injected the fluid into the veins at the pedicule pushing the blood out the slits on the tips. Then we thoroughly soaked the velvet in the same fluid and wrapped the rack in cheesecloth for the pack back. The mount turned out perfect. No velvet slippage or peeling or matting.

Walking Buffalo
08-31-2016, 01:27 PM
I killed a velvet 4 point hunting with Doug at Skinner Creek Outfitters in 2013 and I carried a litre of this milky solution, not formaldehyde, that I got online from a taxidermy supply store in Colorado as I recall. When the deer was killed, we slit the point tips and Doug injected the fluid into the veins at the pedicule pushing the blood out the slits on the tips. Then we thoroughly soaked the velvet in the same fluid and wrapped the rack in cheesecloth for the pack back. The mount turned out perfect. No velvet slippage or peeling or matting.

Antler in Velvet Tan by Knoblock's. Available from many taxidermy supply stores.

If you want to strip the velvet, do it asap before it dries on. Then use wood stains to colour the antlers as desired.

David Heitsman
09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Walking Buffalo;1813393]Antler in Velvet Tan by Knoblock's.

that's right

butthead
09-01-2016, 02:41 PM
is it legal to be in possession of that rack as its not a bone pertrustion ?
or even shoot it according to the regs