PDA

View Full Version : RCMP wearing their sidearm while hunting

tav611
08-30-2016, 03:13 PM
I was talking with an RCMP officer while at work and he said he plans to wear his sidearm while hunting this year.Stated he has never hunted before, but plans to go with his friends. Do you think its legal that they can wear their sidearms if hunting? Not to hunt with but just have for bear defense!I would love to be able to Wear a sidearm while in the bush, and I am a bit jealous if they are able to.

Carrollizer
08-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Well to me it seems to be in the realm of the CO's discretion.
Since he his a police officer he may get a warning, or he could get a fine and all his belongings forfeited, same as if I tried to bring my 1911.
Just because you're a police officer does not mean you have a firearm license let alone the handgun carry permit for someone such as a trapper would have, because they need a handgun to protect them in their line of work

itsy bitsy xj
08-30-2016, 03:16 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!! one land one law should also apply here

Gateholio
08-30-2016, 03:21 PM
If it is allowed would be up to the RCMP policy. I have no idea if it's legal, as many (most?) RCMP don't even have a PAL for their pistol, and they don't require one.

I would suggest to him to ask his supervisor before he does it.

stevo911_
08-30-2016, 03:26 PM
My understanding (which is at the very least the case for municipal employees, RCMP could be different) is that since they don't actually have a PAL/RPAL, they're not allowed to store/carry their sidearms when off duty; it has to be stored at the station.

08-30-2016, 03:44 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!! one land one law should also apply here

What a wonderful idea, but this is Canada..........one land, many laws depending on but not restricted to nationality, colour, religious beliefs, and sexual preferences. As for a cop totting his side arm off duty while in the bush hunting..........sure he can, about the same time the rest of us are allowed to.:grin:

Jagermeister
08-30-2016, 03:55 PM
He better check with his detachment commander for verification before he does that. He's not going to take our word that he can't. They are only allowed to pack their sidearms while on duty.

bc_buckshot
08-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Which ever officer that told you he plans or will bring his sidearm hunting should read his detachment and organization policy manual again before he decides. It will keep him away from desk duties. Ask him what section tell him what he can do and wear on person in the legal exicution of his duties.

tigrr
08-30-2016, 04:24 PM
No the regulars can't. He might get away with it once. But if the commander ever finds out assinflames.
Certain leo's who work in drug enforcement can.

REMINGTON JIM
08-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Not ALLOWED to pack a sidearm unless on duty ! Sidearms are the property of the Crown too Not personal ! RJ

RackStar
08-30-2016, 04:35 PM
I talked with a police officer. Not rcmp but a LML city police. He claims he can be in possession of his handgun at any time anywhere. But still has to take the pal to get a rifle.

rocksteady
08-30-2016, 04:39 PM
More power to him. If enough LEO do this, maybe they will slack off on everyone else...

worse case, it's his nuts in a meat grinder

Dannybuoy
08-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Not ALLOWED to pack a sidearm unless on duty ! Sidearms are the property of the Crown too Not personal ! RJ

Right on RJ ! But RCMP are technically on call (duty) 24/7/365 so he couldn't/wouldn't be charged with anything .

MichelD
08-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Page 17 of the regulations synopsis.

It is unlawful to use a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed

and fired by the action of one hand

or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in

length.

Nolan1973
08-30-2016, 04:57 PM
It is NOT allowed to carry outside of work for any purpose UNLESS they are either under cover or plain clothes. A police officer has NO special rights when he is off duty regarding carry laws.

Dannybuoy
08-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Page 17 of the regulations synopsis.

It is unlawful to use a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed

and fired by the action of one hand

or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in

length.

This would apply IF it was used for hunting ... the OP just said that the officer intended on keeping his sidearm on his person ... I was thinking that he intended to hunt by legal means .. ie rifle or bow .

MichelD
08-30-2016, 05:05 PM
This would apply IF it was used for hunting ... the OP just said that the officer intended on keeping his sidearm on his person ... I was thinking that he intended to hunt by legal means .. ie rifle or bow .

I'm not a lawyer or a CO but if he was carrying a sidearm while hunting it may be considered hunting with it.

Gateholio
08-30-2016, 05:08 PM
I've heard various answers to this question from various police sources, so once again, I would say the only correct answer is to check with his boss. I don't think an RCMP officer is ever 100% "off duty" even if they are on vacation.

But again, that's juse speculation on my part, and I suspect most of the answers on this thread are speculation, too.

sako79
08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
i hunt with an RCMP officer from langley he alway told me he cant take his sidearm in the bush with him when off duty on a holiday

Jagermeister
08-30-2016, 05:27 PM
I talked with a police officer. Not rcmp but a LML city police. He claims he can be in possession of his handgun at any time anywhere. But still has to take the pal to get a rifle.
He's blowing smoke up a duck's arse. He might get away with that in his jurisdiction. Once away from that, he has to have a conveyance permit like the rest of us and you only get that with the restricted endorsement. Ask him if he would like to test his theory and let you know when he plans on packing heat beyond his jurisdiction so you might call him in. Betcha he declines

russm
08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
My buddy is a prison guard in mission and can only possess guns while hes at work, he doesn't get to bring them back and fourth from home to work and they don't have PALs or RPALs from what he's told me. I'm sure it's different for cops and would more than likely be overlooked if he was stopped.

Sleep Robber
08-30-2016, 06:01 PM
He's a police officer before anything else so that being said I think he should be able to carry his sidearm wherever he goes.

bcsteve
08-30-2016, 06:02 PM
There's so many misinformation in this thread.....

Sleep Robber
08-30-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm just thinking that even though he's off duty hunting, aren't all police officers actually "on duty" at all times so to speak ??

180grainer
08-30-2016, 06:11 PM
If it is allowed would be up to the RCMP policy. I have no idea if it's legal, as many (most?) RCMP don't even have a PAL for their pistol, and they don't require one.

I would suggest to him to ask his supervisor before he does it.
Just playing devils advocate. The RCMP go through far more training and far more intense background checks than it takes to get a PAL. It would be nice if they had too so we can all feel like we're being treated the same, but.......I'm not sure but as a police officer, (not to be confused with a Peace Officer) considered on duty 24/7? Maybe they can justify it that way.

180grainer
08-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Hey, you have the floor.......I'm not sure and would like to know.....

Mauser98
08-30-2016, 06:16 PM

So enlighten us.

honeyman76
08-30-2016, 06:53 PM
As a lot of folks have already stated, a police officer is a police officer 24/7 whether on duty or off duty. That said, in the field hunting, I am obligated under the BC Police Act to do my job if I come across illegal activity. I personally received authorization from my department. I can't speak for this RCMP member as they have their own policy.

Gateholio
08-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Just playing devils advocate. The RCMP go through far more training and far more intense background checks than it takes to get a PAL. It would be nice if they had too so we can all feel like we're being treated the same, but.......I'm not sure but as a police officer, (not to be confused with a Peace Officer) considered on duty 24/7? Maybe they can justify it that way.

I really don't know the answer to the question if they are considered on duty 24/7 except to say I've conversed with some RCMP in rural and/or remote areas and it certainly seems that way. I certainly don't think they are getting paid while they are at home sleeping, so they obviously aren't "on duty" at that time, but if the phone rings, they go out, and it's not logical for them to drive to the office and get their gear there before heading out, so it's with them all the time.

But again, I'm just speculating. I don't know any more about how police do things or make policy for their particular detachment members than I know about how Walmart does things or makes policy. However, I do think that many of the posters on this thread that are stating things as fact know just as much as I know, which is not very effing much! :)

bcsteve
08-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Hey, you have the floor.......I'm not sure and would like to know.....

So enlighten us.

Ok, RCMP are police officers 24/365 just like a Dr. is still a Dr. while he's having coffee at Tims not only when he's at the hospital. The Criminal Code gives them authority to carry their duty pistol while off duty but only according to their policies and Officer in Charge. The Officer in Charge can authorize the member to carry off duty. In my experience this only happens rarely and only after a threat assessment has been conducted (i.e.: credible death threats).

Members can take their pistol home to go to the range, clean it, practice drawing or as duty requires. No special permission required. No PAL or RPAL required for issued firearms.

As far as taking your duty pistol to go hunting, I can't think of any valid or legal reason as to why it would be authorized.

Mishka
08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
An off-duty rcmp officer cannot carry their sidearm just because they want to... Whether hunting or not. A code of conduct would be initiated if they got caught. However, if they were in a small town and they were on-call and decided to go hunting, then that may be a valid reason for carrying their sidearm. But the sidearm would be for being on-call and not technically for the hunting. As well, in a small town they may get away with making "patrols" in their detachment area on their day off and go hunting. But I would argue that that would be pretty grey and it would depend on the mood of the boss if that would fly. An RCMP officer is not technically 24/7, though they may get called to duty at anytime. If an off-duty officer runs into a crime in progress, they are not obligated to jump into the thick of it. - They would not have their tools with them and therefore could be putting themselves into danger. They, however, SHOULD be make notes and aid in anyway they can otherwise. - A civilian could make the same notes and observations.

curt
08-30-2016, 08:42 PM
i would be surprised if they can carry off duty legally... I believe if law enforcement officers have legitimate threats of life they can carry off duty for protection but they still require a permit or special authorization. They are not above the law that i do know!

j270wsm
08-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Few years ago my sisters friend( newly graduated RCMP officer ) came back to town and came over for a visit. While she was in town she had her side arm( nice looking 9mm but 10lb trigger pull ) I can't remember all the details but I do remember her saying that her side arm was to be in its lock box at all time when off duty and travelling.

CoreShackJack
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
An excerpt from the Firearms act; I don't see why police wouldn't be able to qualify for a.) 'imminent danger'. Seeing as how a police officer can make a quick case stating that his role in a gang arrest, drug arrest, etc. has exposed him to dangerous individuals whereby he feels his life is threatened.

Authorizations to Carry Restricted Firearms and Certain Handguns Regulations
SOR/98-207PART 1

Circumstances in Which an Individual Needs Restricted Firearms or Prohibited Handguns for the Purpose of Section 20 of the Act

Protection of Life

2 For the purpose of section 20 of the Act, the circumstances in which an individual needs restricted firearms or prohibited handguns to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals are where

(a) the life of that individual, or other individuals, is in imminent danger from one or more other individuals;
(b) police protection is not sufficient in the circumstances; and
(c) the possession of a restricted firearm or prohibited handgun can reasonably be justified for protecting the individual or other individuals from death or grievous bodily harm.

and there is nothing here stating he needs an RPAL, simply prove to the CFO that he is qualified to handle:

PART 2
Authorizations to Carry

Issuance

4 A chief firearms officer shall not issue to an individual an authorization to carry a particular restricted firearm or prohibited handgun that is needed in the circumstances described in section 2 or paragraph 3(a) unless the chief firearms officer determines that

(a) the individual has successfully completed training in firearms proficiency and the use of force that is appropriate for using the firearm in those circumstances; and
(b) the firearm is appropriate in those circumstances.

CoreShackJack
08-30-2016, 09:09 PM
I have a friend whose brother is a Victoria Police Department officer. He carries his Glock (or whichever his service sidearm is) off-duty as he has made his case claiming his life to be threatened or in danger after dealing with particularly unfriendly members of the general public.

Coachman
08-30-2016, 10:22 PM
RCMP are authorized to carry their pistol, shotgun, taser, carbine or any other weapon under the provisions of the RCMP Act, not tbe firearms Act.

That said, who would be stupid enough to carry a 9mm for protection in the bush. Officer GUMP maybe?

Brew
08-30-2016, 10:33 PM
I doubt he can do that. I have my permit to carry at work and that's it. Says so right on my paperwork.

Spy
08-30-2016, 10:43 PM
RCMP are authorized to carry their pistol, shotgun, taser, carbine or any other weapon under the provisions of the RCMP Act, not tbe firearms Act.

That said, who would be stupid enough to carry a 9mm for protection in the bush. Officer GUMP maybe?
Are you kidding 15 rounds of 9mm is plenty to bring down a bear???? One shot if you know what you are doing???

Drillbit
08-30-2016, 10:51 PM
He'll realize the weight isn't worth it pretty fast.

Xenomorph
08-30-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a friend whose brother is a Victoria Police Department officer. He carries his Glock (or whichever his service sidearm is) off-duty as he has made his case claiming his life to be threatened or in danger after dealing with particularly unfriendly members of the general public.

And I totally agree with that interpretation of the regulation. What I'd love to see more is more officers doing the same thing, more people applying ...more reasons for me to get a .357 and get some time and opportunity to use it. Always liked the nice shinny GP100s

180grainer
08-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Are you kidding 15 rounds of 9mm is plenty to bring down a bear???? One shot if you know what you are doing???

Most hunters that are mauled never get the safety off. Having said that, if I had a choice the 9mm wouldn't be in the top five.

Sleep Robber
08-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Surely there is a police officer on here that could fill us in with the appropriate information ??

Gun Dog
08-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Back when I belonged to Langley R&G there were a few RCMP members. They could only use their service pistol while on duty. To practice in Langley they needed a PAL and a personal firearm. For a long time in the LM there was no RCMP gun range so that was the only way to practice. Most constables only fired their pistol during their annual proficiency test. There's a new division headquarters now (in Surrey), complete with a range (and bar) so an officer can practice if they want.

PressurePoint
08-31-2016, 08:25 AM
I would highly suggest he doesn't. Regardless of his position as an LEO, he is not in performance of his duties. I can tell you that he should not. There was mention of members not being able to bring there gun home if they don't have a pal which is incorrect. A member can bring his service weapon home as long as he meets the same legal storage and transportation of what would be required for anyone else. Even more so since it's considered a prohib device. RCMP if they so choose to keep their uniform at home are provided with an extreme heavy and secure storage device.
this more stems for the small town members who are always on duty and are often required to respond to calls from their home. I would know.... Much of my service left me with a police car in my driveway and my uniform at home because there was no such thing as being off duty.

As an avid hunter and also an RCMP officer I can tell u bringing ur pistol into the bush is pointless.... The only use i see that I could come into play is for protection.... And what is a little pew pew pew gonna do to a g bear or charging moose? I'd rather keep my job and bring an 870 with me. Pfffft that and they weigh almost the same amount as an 870.

100% my opinion and not a reflection or opinion of the RCMP

Leaseman
08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
I think it was more tongue in cheek....looking for a reaction from a friend!!!:smile::redface:

PressurePoint
08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Surely there is a police officer on here that could fill us in with the appropriate information ??

see my post.... Which is 100% an opinion and I have not quoted policy or what the legal obligations or requirements by the RCMP are....

honeyman76
08-31-2016, 08:35 AM
The only person who can answer this question and know what the hell they are talking about is an RCMP Supervisor who is fluent in their policy as many have already stated(unless you are a member how can anyone of us know for sure). How I read this is, the member is taking out his service pistol with him hunting, not to use for the purpose of hunting with his service pistol to take game. To hunt with his service revolver I could obviously see it being illegal. I don't see it being illegal to carry it. I don't see it any different then a member on his days off getting to ski for free on a ski hill and packing and having fun. They have it on them while skiing...now a member happens to have the same sidearm while out hunting on his day off...whats the difference?

Sangstercraft
08-31-2016, 08:37 AM
It's a fun idea but bear spray is proven to be more effective than a gun at preventing bear attacks. Google it if you're curious.

PressurePoint
08-31-2016, 08:43 AM
The only person who can answer this question and know what the hell they are talking about is an RCMP Supervisor who is fluent in their policy as many have already stated(unless you are a member how can anyone of us know for sure). How I read this is, the member is taking out his service pistol with him hunting, not to use for the purpose of hunting with his service pistol to take game. To hunt with his service revolver I could obviously see it being illegal. I don't see it being illegal to carry it. I don't see it any different then a member on his days off getting to ski for free on a ski hill and packing and having fun. They have it on them while skiing...now a member happens to have the same sidearm while out hunting on his day off...whats the difference?

See my aforementioned post. Also, I highly, wait 100%, say that you will
not see what RCMP policy is on a public forum. This information is kept confidential for security reasons.

Any post, once again, is of my opinion and not of the RCMP nor am I speaking on behalf of the RCMP. It is to educate based of my experience.

limit time
08-31-2016, 09:06 AM
Don't say a thing, let him learn a lesson.

limit time
08-31-2016, 09:08 AM
It's a fun idea but bear spray is proven to be more effective than a gun at preventing bear attacks. Google it if you're curious.

We should be able to have both ;)

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2016, 09:32 AM

I hope you are being sarcastic cuz google doesn't prove chit...we have many on here that have had actual experience with bears and spray and we (members here) have also looked into the so called evidence of which you speak and found it bias and lacking in consistency...believe what you want but don't expect google crap to be more believable that the experiences of real bush people...

Darksith
08-31-2016, 09:52 AM
I guess the question that needs to be answered is, are RCMP allowed to carry their handgun when off duty. If the answer is yes or yes with permission from a superior even on an individual basis, then they would be allowed to.

Darksith
08-31-2016, 09:53 AM
I hope you are being sarcastic cuz google doesn't prove chit...we have many on here that have had actual experience with bears and spray and we (members here) have also looked into the so called evidence of which you speak and found it bias and lacking in consistency...believe what you want but don't expect google crap to be more believable that the experiences of real bush people...

Im pretty sure that bear spray has been proven to be more of a deterrent than a firearm

As for your comment about bush experience...Im pretty sure that no one here has the experience you are referring to. Not one of us has done tests to see which works better. Bears don't put much into a warning shot, and I haven't heard many stories nor experienced actually deploying bear spray and still had an attack happen or even not happen. I do know of several attacks where the bear was shot and kept on coming though...and some that drove the bear away or killed it as well...

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Im pretty sure that bear spray has been proven to be more of a deterrent than a firearm

As for your comment about bush experience...Im pretty sure that no one here has the experience you are referring to. Not one of us has done tests to see which works better. Bears don't put much into a warning shot, and I haven't heard many stories nor experienced actually deploying bear spray and still had an attack happen or even not happen. I do know of several attacks where the bear was shot and kept on coming though...and some that drove the bear away or killed it as well...

I have witnessed a can of spray deployed at a crouching cougar at about 15 feet away and the spray didn't even reach the animal.....we then chased it off with axes in hand and ended up running into the cloud of spray that left us not the cougar incapacitated...this was all the evidence I needed to see/prove the extreme limitations of spray...a pellet gun would have been more effective at scaring it off..i have also witnessed my younger slightly crazier brother sprayed right in the face and still fight off two police officers...

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2016, 10:33 AM
I have also shot and killed a charging blackbear with a 303 and lived uninjured to tell about it

adriaticum
08-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Please tell me where he is hunting, so I can report him.

Ron.C
08-31-2016, 11:32 AM
I have witnessed a can of spray deployed at a crouching cougar at about 15 feet away and the spray didn't even reach the animal.....we then chased it off with axes in hand and ended up running into the cloud of spray that left us not the cougar incapacitated...this was all the evidence I needed to see/prove the extreme limitations of spray...a pellet gun would have been more effective at scaring it off..i have also witnessed my younger slightly crazier brother sprayed right in the face and still fight off two police officers...

What's your point? Your earlier post said Google doesn't prove #&%$ as it pertained to a bear spray study but we are to beleive your experience somehow debunk s a studies findings.

I would think that " real bush people" as you call them would realize not every situation is the same and what worked once may be a complete bust any other time.

As far as this thread goes, I think discussing legality of anything is not simple, even when a written reference is provided. Lawyer get paid a hell of allot of money to argue this stuff.

But I am now curious myself and am looking forward to seeing some kind of written reference/policy.

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Preventing ? How about Stopping a Attack ? :lol: RJ

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 01:28 PM
How about Stopping a Attack ? :lol: RJ

Isn't that what your 375 Ouch&Ouch is for?!?!?

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2016, 01:54 PM
What's your point? Your earlier post said Google doesn't prove #&%$ as it pertained to a bear spray study but we are to beleive your experience somehow debunk s a studies findings.

I would think that " real bush people" as you call them would realize not every situation is the same and what worked once may be a complete bust any other time.

As far as this thread goes, I think discussing legality of anything is not simple, even when a written reference is provided. Lawyer get paid a hell of allot of money to argue this stuff.

But I am now curious myself and am looking forward to seeing some kind of written reference/policy.

sorry for the comment on googling the efficacy of bearspray as it was a hijack.....google away all you want

adriaticum
08-31-2016, 02:05 PM
Just because you like vanilla icecream doesn't mean everyone has to like it.
I would prefer a gun over bear spray but wouldn't limit anyone to using a gun if they don't want to.
When I'm fishing I carry bear spray because lugging a shotgun is a pain in the ass, odds of running into a black bear is less than 1 percent and other fishermen might think I'm nuts. (But with a revolver I'd be more inclined)
On the other hand if I was fishing in Alaska, I would be lugging a shotgun because you are almost guaranteed to run into a grizzly up there, and everyone is nuts in Alaska so I'd be ok.
I've never heard of guys who shot bears when they were charged wishing they had bear spray, but I sure know a few who wish they had a gun when bear spray didn't deter the bear.

Buck
08-31-2016, 02:28 PM
I guess the question that needs to be answered is, are RCMP allowed to carry their handgun when off duty. If the answer is yes or yes with permission from a superior even on an individual basis, then they would be allowed to.

I would disagree that off duty officers should be allowed above the law privileges No handgun for me no handgun for them.

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2016, 02:47 PM
Isn't that what your 375 Ouch&Ouch is for?!?!?

You BET ! or the 45-70 Gov or the 450 Marlin or the new soon to KING 416 Taylor ! :grin: RJ

dino
08-31-2016, 03:54 PM
this is the correct answer

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2016, 04:03 PM
this is the correct answer

Hmm! Refer to post #44 and let use know what you think . ;) RJ

180grainer
08-31-2016, 04:50 PM
I would disagree that off duty officers should be allowed above the law privileges No handgun for me no handgun for them.
You're just jealous.....:)

takla1
08-31-2016, 05:27 PM
My parents hunted 75 miles east of 150 mile back in the 60's-80's and there were a camp of moose hunters there every yr,one was a rcmp and he had his service revolver with him every yr while hunting ,they still tell that story around the camp fire.Ive personally hunted many years ago with a side arm and it provides one with a confident feeling with the possibility of a close encounter always present in bear country

takla

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2016, 08:20 PM
My parents hunted 75 miles east of 150 mile back in the 60's-80's and there were a camp of moose hunters there every yr,one was a rcmp and he had his service revolver with him every yr while hunting ,they still tell that story around the camp fire.Ive personally hunted many years ago with a side arm and it provides one with a confident feeling with the possibility of a close encounter always present in bear country

takla

But Sangstercraft says bear spray is better ! :confused: RJ

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqABkG1JpHM
just bring this guy along
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PLnlRVqKQ
or this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CG8-r1GZaw

Busterpayton54
08-31-2016, 10:13 PM
See my aforementioned post. Also, I highly, wait 100%, say that you will
not see what RCMP policy is on a public forum. This information is kept confidential for security reasons.

Any post, once again, is of my opinion and not of the RCMP nor am I speaking on behalf of the RCMP. It is to educate based of my experience.so what is the point of all this? Why bother adding anything which ultimately amounts to nothing. Protecting security? Whether or not a police officer can take a duty pistol hunting is a matter of national security? This hurts my brain. Please go back to flexing and blowing kisses in the mirror.

Dannybuoy
09-01-2016, 06:51 AM

I am not a member but know a few and recently asked a retired member (IA division) this question . While he did get a chuckle from the responses that some of you provided , the short answer is rcmp members are police officers 24/7 and are allowed to carry their service revolver .
I'll leave it at that , as the saying goes haters gonna hate ...

Mr Conservation
09-01-2016, 07:34 AM
the short answer is rcmp members are police officers 24/7 and are allowed to carry their service revolver.

When did the RCMP start carrying revolvers again :confused: They switched over to semi-automatics in the mid 90's. :!:

Mr Conservation

Gateholio
09-01-2016, 08:41 AM
I think I recall someone saying they still use the "revolver" term for some reason.

Darksith
09-01-2016, 09:56 AM
I am not a member but know a few and recently asked a retired member (IA division) this question . While he did get a chuckle from the responses that some of you provided , the short answer is rcmp members are police officers 24/7 and are allowed to carry their service revolver .

did you just call me a hater? I don't care either way, just tried to simplify the question for everyone...I didn't think their choice of off duty activity would have any bearing on anything.

boblly1
09-01-2016, 10:19 AM
im pretty sure they must on duty may be different for detectives but pretty sure civilian law rules all else just my guess though

troutseeker
09-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Why carry that 9mm peashooter in the bush? :)

Camp Cook
09-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I had my ATC for remote area handgun carry while working as a self employed free miner (prospecting) in BC & Alberta for 7 years.

I carried a handgun in the bush at all times didn't matter if I was just prospecting or if I was also hunting.

My ATC (authorisation to carry) permit covered me for carrying handguns for defence while my hunting/fishing licenses covered me for hunting/fishing.

Dannybuoy
09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
When did the RCMP start carrying revolvers again :confused: They switched over to semi-automatics in the mid 90's. :!:

Mr Conservation
Good catch ... not sure why I wrote that

Dannybuoy
09-01-2016, 11:35 AM
did you just call me a hater? I don't care either way, just tried to simplify the question for everyone...I didn't think their choice of off duty activity would have any bearing on anything.
Nope wasn't directed at you .... I used your quote attempting to answer the question you posted ... and simplify the answer , which is why I asked a member I know that was a Sgt with IA div .
I also asked if he had ever heard of a member being disciplined for any code of conduct or otherwise for a similar event ... Nope ! While it isn't recommended or encouraged ... it isn't breaking any law
At the end of the day , I really don't care ...it doesn't bother me either way .

Ryo
09-01-2016, 12:29 PM
It is like me carrying a Winchester over my shoulder in downtown vancouver. It may be legal, but does not help public perception.

Actually, it's worse.

A public servant carrying a handgun in the bush for protection undermines the reasoning for our laws surrounding handgun restrictions. The action suggests that sidearms are appropriate in the bush (being careful to note that a sidearm alongside a rifle is very different than a prospectors revolver meant to relieve him of carrying a rifle). The police officer should remember that that gun represents his role as a public servant, and thus would be wise to uphold the principles behind the laws, rather than hiding behind the law. If the press caught on, it would not be worth it.

besides, the last time I saw rcmp shoot a problem bear, it took 17 bullets. There are better tools

skibum
09-01-2016, 01:39 PM
That is a good post Ryo

BRvalley
09-01-2016, 02:04 PM
My 2 RCMP contacts both said they cannot do so, only while in course of duty...off duty they can have their pistol in their possession, ie to take to a gun range, but must follow legal transport rules same as anyone else

Gateholio
09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
It is like me carrying a Winchester over my shoulder in downtown vancouver. It may be legal, but does not help public perception.

Actually, it's worse.

A public servant carrying a handgun in the bush for protection undermines the reasoning for our laws surrounding handgun restrictions. The action suggests that sidearms are appropriate in the bush (being careful to note that a sidearm alongside a rifle is very different than a prospectors revolver meant to relieve him of carrying a rifle). The police officer should remember that that gun represents his role as a public servant, and thus would be wise to uphold the principles behind the laws, rather than hiding behind the law. If the press caught on, it would not be worth it.

besides, the last time I saw rcmp shoot a problem bear, it took 17 bullets. There are better tools

Handguns are 100% appropriate in the bush, and our handgun laws aren't actually based on any "reasoning"

It may be contrary to RCMP regulations for an officer to carry his handgun, but that's the only legitimate reason for him not to carry if he wanted to. They are allowed to carry all day at work, so I don't see what the big deal is with carrying in the bush is.

Of course, we should all be able to carry handguns for defense or hunting.

Dannybuoy
09-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Handguns are 100% appropriate in the bush, and our handgun laws aren't actually based on any "reasoning"

It may be contrary to RCMP regulations for an officer to carry his handgun, but that's the only legitimate reason for him not to carry if he wanted to. They are allowed to carry all day at work, so I don't see what the big deal is with carrying in the bush is.

I would agree Gatehouse , but by the posts on this thread alone I don't believe there is a consensus even amongst hunters , throw in the anti's and you can forget about it . By the sounds of it even the new members(rcmp) are convinced (post # 83)

Ryo
09-01-2016, 03:49 PM

I agree with you, actually, that we should all be able to carry in the bush. But a public servant contradicting the public institution he/she serves is in neithers best interest. Of course, if it sparked a legal challenge to handgun carry laws, then I'd love to see how it played out.

09-01-2016, 04:44 PM
If Buddy was allowed to carry his 44 mag he would have, but ignorance made it illegal, and he and king Grizz are both no longer with us. Sure wish he'd of been packin that day.

RIP ..... RV

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Good Post Clark ! :biggrin: RJ

Gateholio
09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
I would agree Gatehouse , but by the posts on this thread alone I don't believe there is a consensus even amongst hunters , throw in the anti's and you can forget about it . By the sounds of it even the new members(rcmp) are convinced (post # 83)

I've always found it shocking that some hunters are scared of other hunters (or hikers) carrying a pistol. No problem with a rifle that can take out a moose at 500 yards, but a short range defensive tool makes them uneasy. :)

Gateholio
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
I agree with you, actually, that we should all be able to carry in the bush. But a public servant contradicting the public institution he/she serves is in neithers best interest. Of course, if it sparked a legal challenge to handgun carry laws, then I'd love to see how it played out.

Legal challenge by a officer would be an interesting take on it! :)

fuzzybiscuit
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
I've always found it shocking that some hunters are scared of other hunters (or hikers) carrying a pistol. No problem with a rifle that can take out a moose at 500 yards, but a short range defensive tool makes them uneasy. :)

That's because handguns are scary...

browningboy
09-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Yes he is allowed, a peace officer is somewhat always on duty, the can arrest you, charge you etc. They have a badge and took an oath. He can't hunt with it nor can he use it for bear protection, it would just be a novelty, must be a young guy as no one want to pack them unless you're special squad, ERT etc

Surrey Boy
09-02-2016, 05:17 PM
. . .

In my experience on this forum, policemen are uniquely defensive and defended as a profession.

Don't get me wrong, I mistrust the RCMP as much as anyone, but I also suspect mechanics (Shop Supplies, anyone?) politicians, salesmen, bankers, college kids, Indian Agents, teachers, social workers, Catholic priests, and anyone from the CRA or DFO.

Why do the RCMP uniquely get so upset in such a peculiar manner?

Bear Chaser
09-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Here's a sidetrack.

Why is it the law in BC that a handgun cannot be used for hunting? Who made this decision?
Forget all the stupid handguns are scary and should only be used for target practice BS that the Canadian public is fed.
Bob Milek made a career as a writer by using a handgun and killing large and small critters all over the globe that he could legally use it. In well practiced hands it's obviously an effective choice. More so than a bow or crossbow and definitely better than a spear.

Bigdoggdon
09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
I know of am instance where a member of the military was carrying a sidearm on a quad while in the bush on an exercise. He was stopped by a CO and issued a fine and the sidearm was seized for carrying a loaded firearm in/on a vehicle. Later the firearm was returned and the fine thrown out because the military has an exemption clause from the wildlife act. I would imagine that the RCMP would have a similar exemption.

180grainer
09-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Yes he is allowed, a peace officer is somewhat always on duty, the can arrest you, charge you etc. They have a badge and took an oath. He can't hunt with it nor can he use it for bear protection, it would just be a novelty, must be a young guy as no one want to pack them unless you're special squad, ERT etc
Police Officers not Peace Officers.

180grainer
09-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Here's a sidetrack.

Why is it the law in BC that a handgun cannot be used for hunting? Who made this decision?

This could be longer but I'll make it short. You live in a Socialist country where it's deemed that the collective is more important than the individual. Soooo, it's in the Collective's interests that people not be allowed to carry side arms because "something" might happen to someone. Your individual rights are forfeited for the benefit of the many and based on the actions of others, (the few). If you lived in a truely free country, your individual rights would supersede the Collective. Your individual rights to freedom and liberty could only be taken away based on your own behavior, not on how others act or may act.

180grainer
09-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Oh and I should have said, it's on the perception of "how others may act" which is used all the time to slowly twiddle away the few individual rights you do have......like gun ownership.

howa1500
09-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Hes opening himself up to more trouble then it is worth. So many different issues... But theoretically if he is carrying it, it would be for a work related issue... And therefore would be required to have his other force optiona at hand such as oc spray, baton, cuffs, etc.
He will also find it is a pain inthe ass, as its another few pounds to carry.. Stainless steel firearm full frame and slide with 15 rounds.
Should he kill a bear with said pistol, itll be a tough argument with the CO, not a position id out myself in.
And unless he is going during archery season... Doea he not already have a firearm with him..

howa1500
09-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Dude should also remember the organization he works for is inherently scared of guns, hence their lack of equipping their police officers with appropriate weaponry until either told by courts to do so or by a royal commisaion/investigation.
They were one of the last police forces in canada to get the 9mm and were forced to arm their officers with carbines.....

KAHJE
09-04-2016, 07:30 AM
No. I would urge you to tell that officer that his pistol should stay locked up and out of the bush.
It is not his and he may want to ask his supervisor about it to avoid headaches. It also sends the wrong
message to the public. So, short story long ... no the officer cant pack his service sidearm in the bush while
hunting.

sailor22
09-04-2016, 12:16 PM
10 years ago or so, while out searching for a Christmas tree on Haida Gwaii, came across a young RCMP member in his civvy clothes but in the RCMP pickup truck, he was wearing his duty belt with sidearm. He was outside the vehicle dragging a very small deer (embarrassingly small, bambi-esque!) towards the back of the vehicle. I did not see a rifle anywhere but not to say it wasn't already put away? We drove by slowly and I gave him a nod but no words were exchanged. Later that day I told the story to my friend. Lo and behold the very next evening that same friend phoned me to tell a very interesting story: seems he was pulled over by that very same officer. My friend has a right hand drive Toyota pick-up truck and this officer was doing licence and seatbelt checks. My friend recognized this officer as possibly being the same one as I had mentioned the day before: young, new to area, driving the RCMP truck and asked him "how his hunt went yesterday?" His licence and registration was immediately handed back without being called in for verification and the road side stop was concluded immediately without further discussion.
Hmmm, do you think the officer knew he did something wrong?

papaken
09-04-2016, 07:57 PM
We can only hope that if an off-duty police officer should unfortunately be attacked by a bear that he has his handgun (legal or not???) with him. And that he saves himself by using said handgun, thus proving that we should all be allowed to carry in the bush for protection.

squamishhunter
09-04-2016, 09:17 PM
So if cops are allowed to, then we are also allowed, further down the road, this is a problem????

f350ps
09-04-2016, 09:28 PM
I would highly suggest he doesn't. Regardless of his position as an LEO, he is not in performance of his duties. I can tell you that he should not. There was mention of members not being able to bring there gun home if they don't have a pal which is incorrect. A member can bring his service weapon home as long as he meets the same legal storage and transportation of what would be required for anyone else. Even more so since it's considered a prohib device. RCMP if they so choose to keep their uniform at home are provided with an extreme heavy and secure storage device.
this more stems for the small town members who are always on duty and are often required to respond to calls from their home. I would know.... Much of my service left me with a police car in my driveway and my uniform at home because there was no such thing as being off duty.

As an avid hunter and also an RCMP officer I can tell u bringing ur pistol into the bush is pointless.... The only use i see that I could come into play is for protection.... And what is a little pew pew pew gonna do to a g bear or charging moose? I'd rather keep my job and bring an 870 with me. Pfffft that and they weigh almost the same amount as an 870.

100% my opinion and not a reflection or opinion of the RCMP
Thanks PressurePoint, thought I'd bump this up for the reading challenged! K

wideopenthrottle
09-04-2016, 09:30 PM
i am sure we can all come up with some "bad cop stories" but they are just people like the rest of us and will push boundarys...if i was allowed to carry a pistol in the bush as a way of protecting myself against an attacking predator i would choose that over bear spray...only thing is a would probably want a 45 or something larger than a police service pistol....i would like to think that our police are so good at wielding a 9mm that they could legitimately use it as protection in an attack so all the power to them

squamishhunter
09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
That's why magnum calibers were invented.

-in response to the quoted cops post

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2016, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Surrey Boy;1814028]

Don't get me wrong, I mistrust the RCMP as much as anyone, but I also suspect mechanics (Shop Supplies, anyone?) politicians, salesmen, bankers, college kids, Indian Agents, teachers, social workers, Catholic priests, and anyone from the CRA or DFO.

I REALLY don't think anyone should TRUST you after that statement ! :lol: RJ

mrdoog
09-05-2016, 02:52 PM
10 years ago or so, while out searching for a Christmas tree on Haida Gwaii, came across a young RCMP member in his civvy clothes but in the RCMP pickup truck, he was wearing his duty belt with sidearm. He was outside the vehicle dragging a very small deer (embarrassingly small, bambi-esque!) towards the back of the vehicle. I did not see a rifle anywhere but not to say it wasn't already put away? We drove by slowly and I gave him a nod but no words were exchanged. Later that day I told the story to my friend. Lo and behold the very next evening that same friend phoned me to tell a very interesting story: seems he was pulled over by that very same officer. My friend has a right hand drive Toyota pick-up truck and this officer was doing licence and seatbelt checks. My friend recognized this officer as possibly being the same one as I had mentioned the day before: young, new to area, driving the RCMP truck and asked him "how his hunt went yesterday?" His licence and registration was immediately handed back without being called in for verification and the road side stop was concluded immediately without further discussion.
Hmmm, do you think the officer knew he did something wrong?

........no

dino
09-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks PressurePoint, thought I'd bump this up for the reading challenged! K

Let me get this strait. A personality from the Internet claims he is or was a cop, makes a statement about firearms and you naturally believe it to be true.

thecoug
09-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately the initial question got misdirected and was left unanswered.. #1. RCMP are federal force
#2. BC police are obviously provincial. <#3. CO's are peace officers in and for province
#4. CO in BC must report any peace officer carrying handgun while hunting or he is way beyond up to his ass
He must report this to his superiors who must report to peace officers admin..
#5. BC peace officer in major contravention of Police Act and could be at most terminated. That is covered under Police Act re use of issue firearm and committing offence under provincial statute. The peace officer under police act must also identify himself to the peace officer as a peace officer
#6. RCMP Act is federal and is not superseded by BC Police Act however in that it must be reported if found likely would cause a shitstorm at detachment level at least. The friend of a friend of BC LEO is not doing any favours to anyone as what is said or said to be done is doubtful at best. Members jeopardize their career doing cowboy dumbs hit. Most members are not that way inclined. Those that would should be run thru the system. There you go!

boxhitch
09-08-2016, 06:14 AM
#4. CO in BC must report any peace officer carrying handgun while hunting or he is way beyond up to his assRight from the manual ? Must be common

boxhitch
09-08-2016, 06:17 AM
I can tell you that he should not. There was mention of members not being able to bring there gun home if they don't have a pal which is incorrect. A member can bring his service weapon home as long as he meets the same legal storage and transportation of what would be required for anyone else. Even more so since it's considered a prohib device. not worth repeating

thelazygreenfox
09-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Why not just carry bear spray on the hip. Why bother with the hassle of the above shitstorm. It amazes me how dumb even the cops can be.
wayne