PDA

View Full Version : ATV insurance

champs
08-30-2016, 10:45 AM
As I understand it ATV drivers are required $200,000 third party liability insurance if driving on forest service roads. What if I am using the ATV only on spur roads and/or deactivated roads off of forest service roads. Are these spur roads also requiring this insurance? Anyone know? Also if you registered a previously unregistered ATV in BC what buying tips and procedural tips would you recommend.
Thanks in advance

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Yes, the spur roads are part of the FSR network.

itsy bitsy xj
08-30-2016, 11:58 AM
You need ins on ALL crown land

Mauser98
08-30-2016, 01:12 PM
As I understand it ATV drivers are required $200,000 third party liability insurance if driving on forest service roads. What if I am using the ATV only on spur roads and/or deactivated roads off of forest service roads. Are these spur roads also requiring this insurance? Anyone know? Also if you registered a previously unregistered ATV in BC what buying tips and procedural tips would you recommend.
Thanks in advance

Branch roads off of FSR's may or may not be classified as FSR's. Probably a good idea to have insurance just in case.

Piperdown
08-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Call 00Buck he will tell ya :mrgreen:

New Bow Hunter
08-30-2016, 01:39 PM
If you purchased your ATV out of province, you have to pay the PST. You are supposed to self-pay the GST. If you can't prove that self-paid the GST, then that will also be charged at the time of registering.
$200,000 is the minimum liability you can get. If you join BCWF you can have an additional 2 million.
You can do a free online safety course and it will reduce your cost.

Xenomorph
08-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks in advance

Why risk your financial security for another 100$

I put max 5mil liability on it. You don't know when the random arsehole will find your quad and decide to do something to do... maybe start a fire. Do you want the associated cost to what would come after?

I know it's ridiculous, I know it's a bit far out, but I have mine insured like a car, comprehensive/collision all. Just in case, I don't want to be 15k out of pocket for some hunting fun.

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Call 00Buck he will tell ya :mrgreen:

He'll charge for the advice, and add shop supplies.

New Bow Hunter
08-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Why risk your financial security for another 100$

I put max 5mil liability on it. You don't know when the random arsehole will find your quad and decide to do something to do... maybe start a fire. Do you want the associated cost to what would come after?

I know it's ridiculous, I know it's a bit far out, but I have mine insured like a car, comprehensive/collision all. Just in case, I don't want to be 15k out of pocket for some hunting fun.

Where did you get the 5 mil. The most I was able to obtain was 2 million

primmed99
08-30-2016, 08:32 PM
still haven't registered quad or sled, its all bullshit ill pay the fine if they can catch me, in my neck of the woods we know about the co's and cops visiting before they do

Machinist
08-31-2016, 07:18 AM
They are checking for Insurance and the plate that you now have to display , two of my buddies just bought new quads and were out exploring behind Spences Bridge , the CO allong with the RCMP , were in the bush checking , They caught two riders with unregistered un plated quads and fined them and impounded the quads , so if you take a chance and use it unregistered and un plated and get caught be prepaired to pay out more than it would cost to get legal.

Fisher-Dude
08-31-2016, 08:06 AM
still haven't registered quad or sled, its all bullshit ill pay the fine if they can catch me, in my neck of the woods we know about the co's and cops visiting before they do

That's right! Save $48 and who cares if your quad gets impounded and you get fined $345, and have a conviction on your record! Screw the man!

GetLethal
08-31-2016, 08:23 AM
I bought a quad and tried to register it, they said I didnt have the correct transfer form and to get the person I bought it from ( a few hours drive) to send me all the paperwork. A week later I had the papers in order and sent the wife in to take care of it. They wouldnt let her register it and because I didnt sign in a black pen my papers are no longer valid. You'd think for a total money grab theyd make it easier to take your money.

livetohunt
08-31-2016, 10:48 AM
I have mine registered (plate on) but no official "sticker" on it. From what I understand I can get fined for being on fsr roads but not crown land?? How much a year to "insure" an atv?

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Where did you get the 5 mil. The most I was able to obtain was 2 million

ICBC 036 plan package with max 5mil liability. I can drive my quad on hwy shoulder IF needed.

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 12:58 PM
I have mine registered (plate on) but no official "sticker" on it. From what I understand I can get fined for being on fsr roads but not crown land?? How much a year to "insure" an atv?

Basic plate and 200k min liability I think it's 80$/year
And no, if the quad is on private property it's OK, the moment you take it out you're liable and can be fined etc

Xenomorph
08-31-2016, 01:01 PM
I bought a quad and tried to register it, they said I didnt have the correct transfer form and to get the person I bought it from ( a few hours drive) to send me all the paperwork. A week later I had the papers in order and sent the wife in to take care of it. They wouldnt let her register it and because I didnt sign in a black pen my papers are no longer valid. You'd think for a total money grab theyd make it easier to take your money.

I had to get an affidavit for mine, and I did. They - the guy at the Autoplan - still wanted to reject it. Took him an hour and a bit of discussing with ICBC on the phone to finally put it through, but he did. Try to get someone that knows what they're doing, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

primmed99
08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
conviction on my record lol yeah I'm worried it could ruin my good, BAD name. Got to take chances some where in life I guess

That's right! Save $48 and who cares if your quad gets impounded and you get fined $345, and have a conviction on your record! Screw the man!

kevan
08-31-2016, 09:13 PM
I had to get an affidavit for mine, and I did. They - the guy at the Autoplan - still wanted to reject it. Took him an hour and a bit of discussing with ICBC on the phone to finally put it through, but he did. Try to get someone that knows what they're doing, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

Exactly, some insurance businesses know what they are doing, many do not.

itsy bitsy xj
08-31-2016, 10:39 PM
ICBC 036 plan package with max 5mil liability. I can drive my quad on hwy shoulder IF needed.

Only if you have a permit to operate from the cops. You still meed that even with the insurance

Buckmeister
08-31-2016, 10:41 PM
As far as I understand it, the requirement for insurance is if I cause someone else harm while on my ATV (aka a collision).

Mine comes due in a few months. Last year when I renewed, the fellow behind the counter asked if the quad ran tires or tracks. There was no option for both. I run tracks for about a month when the snow flies. He said to state on the form what I plan to run the majority of the time, which for me is tires. Makes me wonder if I am not properly insured if I have my tracks on. The agent didn't seem too concerned. Fact of the matter is when I run tracks, I am going places that ONLY a tracked machine can go, I get there fairly slowly, and it is rare to even see another person in those same places.

itsy bitsy xj
08-31-2016, 11:26 PM
As far as I understand it, the requirement for insurance is if I cause someone else harm while on my ATV (aka a collision).

Mine comes due in a few months. Last year when I renewed, the fellow behind the counter asked if the quad ran tires or tracks. There was no option for both. I run tracks for about a month when the snow flies. He said to state on the form what I plan to run the majority of the time, which for me is tires. Makes me wonder if I am not properly insured if I have my tracks on. The agent didn't seem too concerned. Fact of the matter is when I run tracks, I am going places that ONLY a tracked machine can go, I get there fairly slowly, and it is rare to even see another person in those same places.

I got asked the same thing but I dont have tracks so its n/a to me. You should do some asking to find out, then share the info with the rest of us

Buckmeister
10-20-2016, 04:05 PM
I got asked the same thing but I dont have tracks so its n/a to me. You should do some asking to find out, then share the info with the rest of us

Ok, so I did some asking around in September when my policy was due. Today my insurance agent finally called me with some answers. As far as liability is concerned, they don't care if I'm running tires or tracks on my ATV.
However, if I have coverage for "loss because of damage" (which I don't have this coverage), then they are concerned and will charge more premium if tracks are on the machine. It makes sense seeing there is a lot more stress on components when tracks are used.

Xenomorph
10-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Only if you have a permit to operate from the cops. You still meed that even with the insurance

Not according to ICBC, I called and spoke to them extensively, that's why I ended up getting the 036 package and 5mil liability.