PDA

View Full Version : First time with a bow

mjplewak
08-30-2016, 12:10 AM
I am new to bow hunting and I am wondering what advice people can give me to help me get started? I am not new to hunting, just new to the bow. Aiming and where to shoot is not my issue, rather what to do.

i have no tree stand, so don't say go buy one...I am looking for alternatives. I want to keep the gear simple. Bow, knife, camo...simple

Thank you

Jagermeister
08-30-2016, 12:31 AM
You can build a ground stand if you have an area that game traverses. Just lop of some branches from nearby trees and prop them up somewhere where you can be comfortable. Then conceal yourself remembering not to fall asleep

Squamch
08-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Adding to be ground blind...have a plan for when a sow and cub show up and momma gets excited when she notices you. Sunday morning was a pretty exciting time for us in our ground blind. Even a small bear huffing and puffing at 20 yards is pretty scary!

mjplewak
08-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Bears will not be an issue as I will be on Texada island. The DIY ground blind is a good plan

HarryToolips
08-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Having a rangefinder is critical but Im sure you already know that...don't know much about the blacktails you'll be hunting, but spot and stalk can work on mulies with a bow..

LuckyHorseshoe
08-31-2016, 10:40 AM
If you can watch the buck bed down.... Easier to stalk something you know isn't going to move

ajr5406
08-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Bears will not be an issue as I will be on Texada island. The DIY ground blind is a good plan

Are you hunting private land?

RugDoctor
08-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Further question I think will help OP and myself....do you typically aim a little low to compensate for the deer crouching to run when they hear the release?

quadrakid
08-31-2016, 07:51 PM
If its really quiet in the woods then set up on the ground close to where a few trails intersect,don,t fart,scratch your ass,cough or pick your nose and you might have a buck come into range. If the rut is on and the wind is blowing hard or its raining hard then still hunt,which means walk a few steps,look around hard repeat and go really slow.

quadrakid
08-31-2016, 07:53 PM
do not aim low,i have taken many blacktails and the range has been from 7 yards to 25 and i have yet to have a deer crouch as the arrow goes over it. Aim for the sweet spot.

RugDoctor
08-31-2016, 08:36 PM
do not aim low,i have taken many blacktails and the range has been from 7 yards to 25 and i have yet to have a deer crouch as the arrow goes over it. Aim for the sweet spot.

Will do! Thanks for the input

Caribou_lou
08-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Know your max range and don't try to reach out any further than what your confident at. Good luck and straight shooting!

Hillbros_96
09-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Further question I think will help OP and myself....do you typically aim a little low to compensate for the deer crouching to run when they hear the release?
Not on mule deer, as I haven't had one do that, they can be looking at you and they will watch the arrow enter ther body. Whitetail is a whole different matter. I have quit shooting at white tails that are looking towards me because I keep losing to many arrows.

Enjoy there is no rush like bow hunting. And remember to give plenty of time for them to die before tracking.

BiG Boar
09-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Curious question for you the OP. Where do you aim exactly on a perfectly broadside deer with this bow you plan to use.