PDA

View Full Version : Elk habitat in the fall

tenrag
08-29-2016, 10:09 PM
I would like to survey members to find out their observations on elk habitat during the fall. I live in the East Kootenays and we have all types of terrain and I have hunted elk in all locations. I would be curious to read about your observations.
1. High alpine ridges
2. Valley bottoms
3. Dense timber
4. Close to water sources
5. Flat grasslands
6. Slide paths or clear cuts

Do you find they favour a particular slope aspect? South/West facing with the warm sun or North/East with the cooler temps.

What are your thoughts about elk sharing grazing areas with free range cattle? Based on my experience the cattle are loud and disruptive. I have had my fair share of false alarms with crashing sounds through the bush only to see a cow wondering down the path.

BigSkogButt
08-29-2016, 10:37 PM
I just observe them in my back yard.

BigSkogButt
08-29-2016, 10:39 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5968&stc=1

J-F
08-29-2016, 10:44 PM
I just observe them in my back yard.

Just awesome! Especially with the picture!

I had a tought day, thanks for the laugh!

Bugle M In
08-29-2016, 11:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5968&stc=1

So...I guess you would have answered #3 (dense timber) and #5 (flat grassland)....:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2016, 06:25 AM
Totally depends on the type of weather we've had in any given year, and its effect on forage and water sources.

Find the water. Find the nutrition. Find the elk.

Weatherby Fan
08-30-2016, 07:04 AM
We usually hunt Elk in October 10-20th,

My observation is they don't like to be timbered up after dark due to predatation and are usually out feeding by dusk so we try to pattern their feeding habits and catch them out at first light or just coming out in the open at last light,

Trouble with what your asking as Fisherdude pointed out above has so many variables due to hunting pressure, rut, weather and time of year of course, Where we hunt if there's lots of early snow they tend to be down a little lower and more concentrated, if no snow like last year they were spread out all over every elevation and tough to hunt.