PDA

View Full Version : where and how should I learn to ...... ?

BANG!
06-22-2007, 06:53 PM
..... fire off one of them bow and arrow things?

I live on Bowen and I've just scored a place to hunt :grin: - but of course, it's bow only.

So do any of you guys know where I can learn the art of archery - some where near to home, easy to get to - with a solid reputation for helping learners - and if you have any other advice or insights that can help me along, I'd be happy to hear them,

cheers all - and thanks in advance,

David

Bow Walker
06-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I'd recommend taking the course at Boorman Archery. When I did it the course went for 5 weeks - 1 night per week - 2 hours per night. The cost then was $75.00 for the course, and you got a discount at Boormans if you bought a bow and stuff from them.

Brambles
06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
The main thing is getting the right bow "for you". Don't get too much bow for your first bow. You need to determine your draw length. If your a shorter draw length then you can use a shorter brace height bow and still have some forgiveness but if your a long draw length then you have to watch the brace height a little more closely.

Check your draw length by measuring your wingspan fingertip to finger tip and then divide by 2.5, this will give you a ball park. Measure and get back to us if you are still deciding on a bow

Lots of archers learn at home and by shooting with friends, my best advice would be to get a professional to tune your bow including paper tuning it, with the right arrow combination. This way your not fighting your bow and you can get right to shooting instead of fiddling with it.

There are lots of places on the internet that you can learn from.

Sure you can take a course but if your in a remote location then it might not be viable.

Brambles

bsa30-06
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd recommend taking the course at Boorman Archery. When I did it the course went for 5 weeks - 1 night per week - 2 hours per night. The cost then was $75.00 for the course, and you got a discount at Boormans if you bought a bow and stuff from them.

I did the course at Boormans as well, very helpfull and the people there are easy to deal with.I would highly recomend this course for beginers.

boxhitch
06-23-2007, 07:05 AM
What have you got for a local Fish and game, or rod and gun, or stickand string club ? Members are often a good source and may have practice sessions.

Bow Walker
06-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Did I mention that Boorman's supply all the necessary equipment at no extra charge for the course?

I feel that it's worth it to learn the proper shooting basics from a certified teacher before you go out and shoot on your own or with friends. You don't learn someone else's mistakes that way.

bsa30-06
06-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Did I mention that Boorman's supply all the necessary equipment at no extra charge for the course?

I feel that it's worth it to learn the proper shooting basics from a certified teacher before you go out and shoot on your own or with friends. You don't learn someone else's mistakes that way.

BowWalker, i couldn't agree more.It was an excellent course and it was nice to be able to try a recurve, long bow and compound before actually making up my mind on what i wanted to shoot.After the first class the even told us we could come in an hour early and practice if we wanted because the insrtuctors were there anyway.

BANG!
06-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys - I spoke with Wayne at Boormans today and he treated me exceptionally well on the phone. The five 2-hour long evening courses wasn't going to work out for me because of work commitments, but Wayne said he could arrange some one-on-one coaching with one of his instructors (at a price that was well below what I expected!) That means I can spend maybe two half days with personal instruction which sure makes life easier for me.

Brambles - I measured my wing span and divided by 2.5 - which gave me 29.6. So I guess I'm looking for a (compound) bow with a 30" draw? Am I right? (primary focus will be local blacktail - till I see how this bownarrow approach to things hits me)

So if anyone has any archery kit around that might be surplus to their requiremenets - but ideal for a first time bow hunter, please drop me a PM.

Thanks again for the advice guys,

cheers! :wink:

sawmill
06-24-2007, 09:50 AM
One thing I learned right off was a handlebar mustach and a bow don`t get along too well:mrgreen: Friggin hurts like hell the first time you "bow wax" your face.PM your adress and I`ll send you my little one,it`s a martin lynx,50 .lb,30 inch draw,a real good bow to learn on and hunt with.Good to see more guys getting into bowhunting.Joe

BANG!
06-24-2007, 02:26 PM
One thing I learned right off was a handlebar mustach and a bow don`t get along too well:mrgreen: Friggin hurts like hell the first time you "bow wax" your face.PM your adress and I`ll send you my little one,it`s a martin lynx,50 .lb,30 inch draw,a real good bow to learn on and hunt with.Good to see more guys getting into bowhunting.Joe

Hi Sawmill - just sent you a PM, cheers! :-D

Dillybar
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Any place on the Island that also offers any of these courses?

Bow Walker
06-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Haven't seen or heard of one yet. Of course there are no pure archery shops over here.

Dad and son
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
David
You should check the local regulations carefully before buying a compound bow. The local Bowen Island council passed a bylaw that crossbows and compounds cannot be used on the island. That means you need to hunt with a long bow or recurve. I am in the process of buying a recurve to hunt on Bowen as well. I just do not have a place to hunt yet like you do.

oldtimer
06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
I would recommend a 29 1/2 " draw length ,not 30". You don't want to be too long, it leads to bad form. Mike

sawmill
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I would recommend a 29 1/2 " draw length ,not 30". You don't want to be too long, it leads to bad form. Mike
Good God,can`t have that,Eh What!!I actually like 29 13/16 myself.:mrgreen:

greybark
06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
:mrgreen:Hey OldTimer , Hi Mike . If I had a 36 in draw , Would I be a YARDAPE ??? :mrgreen:

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Brambles
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Brambles - I measured my wing span and divided by 2.5 - which gave me 29.6. So I guess I'm looking for a (compound) bow with a 30" draw? Am I right? (primary focus will be local blacktail - till I see how this bownarrow approach to things hits me)

cheers! :wink:

I'd go with a 29 or 29.5, if your shooting a release your loop will lengthen your draw a touch. It also matters to a certain extent which style release you are considering, if you go with a tru-ball short n sweet you can use a tad longer draw length, a normal caliper release you might be better served with the 29.

If your going to boormans then these are some of the things you can talk over with him and maybe draw a few different length bows to find out what works for you in "real life"

Brambles

oldtimer
06-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Hey GreyBark. Nope 36" seems reasonable. ha ha ha. Sorry to hear your not going to the provincials. Are you going to the senior games ? Mike
PS. Sawmill, not sure if you were being sarcastic or not but 1/2" in draw length makes a HUGE difference. Mike

Bow Walker
06-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Bang! Just make sure that when you are at full draw - the nock is right below your eye. In line with your eye that is.

And all this is when you are settled into your comfortable form with your head in a comfortable position - not leaning forward into the peep.

BANG!
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm loving all the advice guys - and hope to meet up with the Boorman's guys next week.

Dad and Son - damn! You're quite right. After reading into the fine print in the RCMP office and at the Muni Hall yesterday, I'll need to go the recurve route while hunting on Bowen. I've been having a lot of fun with the kids recently on the island. We jump into the truck and go search for deer and we're seeing fur within five minutes on EVERY trip out. Usually we're getting within 25 yards on at least five animals per trip.

Also - I'd like to give Sawmill a public 'really good guy' vote. 8) Behind the scenes, he's quietly arranged to pass along his trusty old compound bow to help encourage me further into the dark art of bow hunting. Such generosity is uncommon and I can't help but publicly thank him for his good deed. Above and Beyond the call of duty Mr Sawmill - thanks again!

cheers all - David

palmer
06-27-2007, 08:28 AM
WELL WELL looks like you may be able to start paying Me and LT back for all the hunting spots we have shown you.....MR BANG....

Palmer

BANG!
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi Palmer

The guy who gave permission is being kinda cautious about it right now (he's never allowed anyone to hunt the property before) .... so I'm going to be patient and see how it works out - but I'll do my best. I'll keep you in the loop - and I am definitely keen to see more hunting on Bowen. There's no shortage of deer here, that's for sure. A little more pressure on the stocks would only help improve health and maintain a more natural balance. At present, it wouldn't surprise me if there were twice as many deer on Bowen as people!

McC.