PDA

View Full Version : First hunting trip - What not to forget?

Lugg
08-29-2016, 11:06 AM
All,

My son and I will be going on our first hunts this year. The biggest game we will be looking for is Deer.

I've been reading and going over things since last season but feel like we're forgetting some really obvious things that just are not that obvious until you need them.

Like going on a 3 day hike and forgetting Toilet Paper. Sure you don't NEED it, but it would have been a lot nicer to have it with you.

So as a first time hunter what would you not want to forget that may not be so obvious?

Thanks,

MichelD
08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Make sure you both have a a compass.

Whenever you walk off a road take a look and make a mental note of the direction you are going in and what the bearing is to get back.

monasheemountainman
08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
shit tickets

Liptugger
08-29-2016, 11:45 AM
keys to your trigger locks

Sportster
08-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Your ammunition, gutting skinning knife, matches liter flashlight headlight,wet ones, zip lock bags, pocket warmers. Compass. Dental gum. And most importantly don't forget to have the best time of your lives.

257stew
08-29-2016, 11:51 AM
common sense and ethics. A lot of guys seem to leave them at home.

monasheemountainman
08-29-2016, 12:26 PM
keys to your trigger locks
thts easy, dont use one

adriaticum
08-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Bullets and headlamp

Carrollizer
08-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Don't forget your hunting/firearm license(s) and species tags

HarryToolips
08-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Make sure you both have a a compass.

Whenever you walk off a road take a look and make a mental note of the direction you are going in and what the bearing is to get back.

Exactly....and if you can take a bearing using land-marks, it makes navigating much easier..and if you have the sun out, it is the best navigation tool..feel free to PM me on how to use the sun as a compass... and if ya run out of shiit tickets lol use mullen or grass...

Fella
08-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Food and water

Rob
08-29-2016, 01:41 PM
I've been going over my lists as my daughter and I are going for 3 days as well. I just go through in my head from waking up till bedtime and all the things well be needing. Ex. Jetboil water in the am for coffee and g bars for breakfast. All hunting gear (bullets/knives/tags and license in hunting pack). Isn't my first trip so it's a bit easier I guess but you get the point

Dash
08-29-2016, 01:49 PM
shit tickets

LOL just about spat out my coffee. I'm officially using that term going forward..

Also, this thread is awesome since this will technically be my first season as well. I got out last year half way through but didn't have any luck and it was kinda rushed..

Thanks for all the suggestions

Lozzie
08-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Vehicle inspection and maintenance, check the spare.

northernbc
08-29-2016, 01:56 PM
camera ,for the pic,s ..

northernbc
08-29-2016, 02:03 PM
I would stash some surprise treats for around the campfire, kids love surprises.. at the least some rain gear for the son. and maybe no cotton undergarments as well.how will you treat your water .well planned trip and proper care to leave route and time with another person. and hike to his pace have fun,, hunting with a son is very rewarding.

Stone C. Killer
08-29-2016, 03:02 PM
2nd set of keys for everything

BRrooster
08-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Some kind of First Aid Kit. Benadryl. Gravol , ibuprofen. Imodium . Boil your water if not supplied from home. Spitz and Pistacios.

.264winmag
08-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Shit tickets and a headlamp, nobody like using leaves and looking for a buck in the dark with no light. Leave the triggerlocks at home.

351BII
08-29-2016, 04:41 PM
I find the 1" flagging tape and a sharpie to be helpful when i venture off.

combo trigger locks...but make them the same number as your caliber or model no. No need for keys. Or as mentioned, dont use one;)

No matter how many times you go its a week of laying awake going through your list......

Andrewh
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
re-watch a youtube flick or two on processing a deer if you are new to hunting, last thing you want to be doing is second guessing your cuts...

albravo2
08-29-2016, 04:51 PM
My list is a page long now... you'll find each trip you want to bring a little something else.

Tag/license/PAL and a headlamp are really must-haves.

And some fire starting materials.

And a knife.

And some cord.

Now you see why my list is a page long.

tigrr
08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Tell someone the location your going and for how long. Fishing line for the alarm when you have yogi visiting. Camp near a river/lake for washing.

nature girl
08-29-2016, 05:30 PM
walkie talkies incase you and your son split up. If he is young I would always stay with him.
Since this will be your first hunt take a journal with you and at the end of each day write down the weather, moon phase, what animals you saw what roads you drove on. Then years down the road you can go back and look at your journal. You and your son could each have your own journal.
I have done this since I started hunting.
And take lots of pictures.
Mole skin.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
08-29-2016, 06:22 PM
There is always something about beginners luck on your first hunt that gets you addicted. Having said that have a plan if you shoot a deer. There is nothing worse than shooting a deer and then realizing you don't have the gear to get the deer out. More likely than not you will have to quarter the deer so have game bags and a pack and a cooler back at the truck with sufficient ice. Shooting the deer is the easy part it's everything that comes after that ends up being a challenge.

finngun
08-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Vehicle inspection and maintenance, check the spare.
If ya have room,,!take extra spare tire..logging roads are hard for tires..tire repair kit,,,kind push trough that needle with patc type...works well with fairly big hole too..
Happy hunting. F_g8)

scoutlt1
08-29-2016, 07:14 PM
All,

My son and I will be going on our first hunts this year. The biggest game we will be looking for is Deer.

I've been reading and going over things since last season but feel like we're forgetting some really obvious things that just are not that obvious until you need them.

Like going on a 3 day hike and forgetting Toilet Paper. Sure you don't NEED it, but it would have been a lot nicer to have it with you.

So as a first time hunter what would you not want to forget that may not be so obvious?

Thanks,

Where are ya headed with your son this season Lugg?

I've camped and hunted lots. Second year that my youngest son (17) and I are going on the youth hunt.
We'll be near the Coq and the Connector later this week to get him another deer (hopefully). Last year we got tons of grouse too.

PM me if you are going to be nearby and want to meet up for an evening by the fire and we can BS about all the sh*t (gear) that gets forgotten every year! :)

wos
08-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Chain saw. Don't leave home without it.

two-feet
08-29-2016, 07:46 PM
The older i get the more minimalist i become. Find what is essential, leave the rest at home.

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2016, 08:08 PM
i have a list that i have kept and added to for over 25 years....keep it in a file folder with your old licences hunting regs photocopies of the maps of your area that you can thrash etc and add to it every time you think of something... absolutely everything goes on the list and make your specific list from your accumulated list...i will be bringing bug dope and sunscreen this year as well as extra water in pouches cuz it is so warm (from an earthquake kit) cuz a water bottle sloshes and makes too much noise....
my main list is way too long to put on here but i always carry a big pouch on my belt with a small survival kit including a couple chocolate bars nuts fishing line and a couple small lures sharpie marker flagging tape small first aid kit...i also put a small ball of toilet paper in a pair of rubber gloves a strong bag for the liver and heart..i also have 8 bullets in a styrofoam bullet holder.at least 2 lighters and a flint and steel.i carry 2 small flashlights with a bit of tape over the battery so it cant be accidentally turned on (and also a head lamp) and i also carry a leatherman, a buck and a 20 foot piece of super strong rope....this is all when i do not carry a back pack.i also have 2 nails and about 5 feet of snare wire...i put my compass on as soon as i wake up...i also insist the whole group carries radios and we are always on the same channel...and i have extra radio batteries taped to protect them

TrickleCharger
08-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Clips for your guns, seen this happen and it sucks. Moleskins as mentioned or some good tape for hotspots / blisters. Shotgun or .22 to bag some grouse on the way :)

DBM
08-29-2016, 08:21 PM
How old is your kid? If hes young take frequent breaks, and don't hunt too hard, cut your trip early if he wants to go home - keep him wanting more. That being said bring something that'll keep him occupied if he's bored, so you can extend your trip as long as possible.

gmachine19
08-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Nitrile/latex gloves. I hate processing game with a cut on my hand.

BigSkogButt
08-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Rollaids! Trying to stalk with the hiccups is just uncalled for.

sapper
08-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Bolt for your rifle. Buddy left his behind on one trip but fortunately one of our party hadn't left town yet and was able to stop by his home and grab it for him.

Lugg
08-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! A few ideas were listed that I should probably look into. Game bags are one of the things I've not picked up yet.

Where are ya headed with your son this season Lugg?

I've camped and hunted lots. Second year that my youngest son (17) and I are going on the youth hunt.
We'll be near the Coq and the Connector later this week to get him another deer (hopefully). Last year we got tons of grouse too.

PM me if you are going to be nearby and want to meet up for an evening by the fire and we can BS about all the sh*t (gear) that gets forgotten every year! :)

We did some scouting this year near Harrison with poor results but did see Coyotes, Grouse, Bear. No Deer.

So we're going to wing it and head somewhere else.

We're thinking of going somewhere around Boston Bar or Merritt, but honestly we don't really know what we're doing, which means I don't really know what I'm doing. haha.

I figure 3-12 to 3-20 but I'm undecided. Open to suggestions and have had some via PM already.

Glenny
08-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Regs. always take the regs.

markathome
08-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Lugg - it might help if you told us what kind of hunting you're intending to do. For new hunters I'm assuming you're doing a mix of truck hunting and hike hunting, but not backpack hunting. So I'm guessing the truck is the base camp (either left at your actual camp or you pack up camp daily, drive to a bucky spot and hike into the bush - usually back for lunch). Pm is usually a drive to a new location and then hunt from there?

If you're backpack hunting the list is long...

For day pack hunting I recommend an emergency kit (mini first aid kit,water proof fire starter, spare knife, emergency blanket, coil of paracord, etc etc). I have one that fits into a small water proof snap lid tuppeware and it lives in the bottom of my pack - it'll get me through the night albeit uncomfortable.

markathome
08-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Also - what Glenny said. Don't rely on your phone for the regs. Hardcopy always.

Whonnock Boy
08-30-2016, 09:37 AM
These days, unless the phone craps out on you, it is a more reliable source than the hard copy. In season changes are updated regularly, and the hard copy cannot tell you (in most areas of the province) what region you are in. But yes, a hard copy is good. It doubles as a back up to the phone, and arse wipe simultaneously. :)

Also - what Glenny said. Don't rely on your phone for the regs. Hardcopy always.

carnivore
08-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Since one should always think positive : bring the phone numbers of some local meat cutters so you can make arrangements for processing after you bag something, and make sure they have a spot for you. There is nothing worse than driving from meat processor to meat processor with a dead deer in your truck on a warm day and being told " sorry our cooler is full".:shock:

Lugg
08-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Lugg - it might help if you told us what kind of hunting you're intending to do. For new hunters I'm assuming you're doing a mix of truck hunting and hike hunting, but not backpack hunting. So I'm guessing the truck is the base camp (either left at your actual camp or you pack up camp daily, drive to a bucky spot and hike into the bush - usually back for lunch). Pm is usually a drive to a new location and then hunt from there?

If you're backpack hunting the list is long...

For day pack hunting I recommend an emergency kit (mini first aid kit,water proof fire starter, spare knife, emergency blanket, coil of paracord, etc etc). I have one that fits into a small water proof snap lid tuppeware and it lives in the bottom of my pack - it'll get me through the night albeit uncomfortable.

We will be hunting from logging roads for our first year, we'll setup a small base camp and then hike from there. We're not expecting to find any Deer but we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for some grouse!

We have all our camping gear from when we go backpacking, as well as a small trailer. Chainsaw (And chaps, helmet, gloves, etc), Axes, Firewood Permits, Fire Extinguisher, Tarps, Water, stove, food, first aid kit, etc.

We normally don't worry about bears but seeing as how we will likely be cooking and sleeping at base camp, that's new to us. Normally we cook and store food far from camp. How does everyone deal with this?

Thanks,

Peter Pepper
08-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Dealing with bears is simple. Buy a bear tag and you won't see any at all!
This always seems to work for me

monasheemountainman
08-30-2016, 01:30 PM
We will be hunting from logging roads for our first year, we'll setup a small base camp and then hike from there. We're not expecting to find any Deer but we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for some grouse!

We have all our camping gear from when we go backpacking, as well as a small trailer. Chainsaw (And chaps, helmet, gloves, etc), Axes, Firewood Permits, Fire Extinguisher, Tarps, Water, stove, food, first aid kit, etc.

We normally don't worry about bears but seeing as how we will likely be cooking and sleeping at base camp, that's new to us. Normally we cook and store food far from camp. How does everyone deal with this?

Thanks,

if you hunt in region 3 you WILL find deer...I would reccommend going in october so you and your son can shoot any buck. you could very well both cut your tags your first year on mule deer. I strongly suggest you watch some videos on field dressing and skinning deer. pack a couple black bear tags too and don't be afraid to use them... save a few fawns.

good luck!

mike_hodg
08-30-2016, 02:09 PM
if you're multiday, a deck of cards and some tunes for after the daily hunt.

Dash
08-30-2016, 02:09 PM

Thanks,

Well, I'm new to hunting as well so I can't really provide advice on that end of things.. but when it comes to bears.. I've been an avid year around remote camper my entire life and I've never had a problem with them and I cook in my site. I store all food, coolers, cooking utensils, cooking stoves etc, and garbage in the back of my truck when it's not being used. Obviously, especially at night. Basically anything that has food residue/smell on it (like grease) I lock up just in case and usually double/triple bag my garbage. Depending on where I am and how paranoid I'm feeling, I'll even store things like toothpaste/deodorant/body fragrances (you obviously probably won't have that since you're not a woman..lol) etc. in my truck as well. Obviously bears can still smell them and get into your vehicle if they're really determined but that's always been my method and it's worked great so far. (Knock on wood...) Besides, if it gets to the point where the damn thing is trying to get into your vehicle, you should definitely put a bullet in it.

Just my 2 cents... :)

Dash
08-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Since one should always think positive : bring the phone numbers of some local meat cutters so you can make arrangements for processing after you bag something, and make sure they have a spot for you. There is nothing worse than driving from meat processor to meat processor with a dead deer in your truck on a warm day and being told " sorry our cooler is full".:shock:

Ahh.. That's amazing advice. I didn't even think of that...

Thank you :)

Ron.C
08-30-2016, 02:42 PM
I think this is one of the fun parts about preparing for a hunt. Itemising a list and tweaking it every year as you learn until you have got it nailed down. Like someone already said, my list seems to get lighter every year.

But every year, I always make sure my optics are on the front seat of the truck when I leave and my rifle is in its hardcase on the backseat and ammo and licences are in the console.

You can do without allot of things on a hunt, but these items are a show stopper.

ajr5406
08-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Gutless Method:

Ive probably watched this about 200 times so far, in preparation for this season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE

charlie_horse
08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
I went on a trip a few weeks ago with a buddy and I forgot a cup for coffee in the morning, a pot to boil water in and a fork/spoon/spork. Luckily he had it.

Mauser98
08-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Wet Wipes.

Skull Hunter
08-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Gutless Method:

Ive probably watched this about 200 times so far, in preparation for this season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE

There are lots of ways to do the gutless method (as the guy points out in the video). If you're not mounting the animal I'd just run your initial cuts from below the jaw down the belly and down each leg to joint your central cut (carful to not puncture the gut sack). Ring the hide just past the knuckle on each leg, then skin one whole side out past the spine. I also cut behind the jaw, up to the spine. This way as you skin one side back you can lay out the hide behind the animal to make a nice clean surface for when you flip the animal. Once the hide is all skinned back on one side I take of each quarter, then the backstrap, neck/rib meat, then the tenderloin. Flip the carcass and repeat. Lots of videos out there on the method.

I don't know what your plan is once you get the deer home, if you're self butchering and it's your first time it might be worth watching a video or 2 on how to debone each of the quarters.

ajr5406
08-30-2016, 07:12 PM
If your going to bring it back whole, here is a good video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UsVd9d8vI

.30-06 camsavbc
08-30-2016, 09:20 PM
First Aid kit, Sam splint, moleskin, painkillers, water filter, spare batteries for headlamp and I personally bring my InReach satellite texting gps. Have fun. :lol:

.30-06 camsavbc
08-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Thanks,
We eat near the river or noisy water source, clean up, pump water then store our food and cooking gear in a dry bag then rope it up in the air off a branch.

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2016, 09:52 PM
i'm really sorry for this and i understand if you are alpine hunting or a long ways from any vehicle to move it but...you guys and your gutless method just doesn't do it for me..i always drag it out with fur on.....the more cuts (exposed meat) you make in the field the more wasted meat come final packaging is my experience..i wont even quarter/half an animal if i can get it out whole...flame on

Carrollizer
08-30-2016, 10:22 PM
There are lots of ways to do the gutless method (as the guy points out in the video). If you're not mounting the animal I'd just run your initial cuts from below the jaw down the belly and down each leg to joint your central cut (carful to not puncture the gut sack). Ring the hide just past the knuckle on each leg, then skin one whole side out past the spine. I also cut behind the jaw, up to the spine. This way as you skin one side back you can lay out the hide behind the animal to make a nice clean surface for when you flip the animal. Once the hide is all skinned back on one side I take of each quarter, then the backstrap, neck/rib meat, then the tenderloin. Flip the carcass and repeat. Lots of videos out there on the method.

I don't know what your plan is once you get the deer home, if you're self butchering and it's your first time it might be worth watching a video or 2 on how to debone each of the quarters.

That being said how exactly do you leave evidence of sex on the animal when (debone) quartering? Leave its balls attached to a hind leg? Would the hair not get everywhere? I've wondered about this for a while now.
I'm planning an alpine hunt this weekend and I'm not going to drag bucky 2km+ Back to the truck

Whonnock Boy
08-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Be careful, and you can cut around the genitals with out too much trouble, making not that much of a mess, while still being attached. If the idea of hair touching the meat bothers you, bring a ziploc baggy and elastic band with you to cover over the naughty bits. And just a tip, if you do not already know. Cutting the hide from the inside out lessens the amount of hair contamination.

That being said how exactly do you leave evidence of sex on the animal when (debone) quartering? Leave its balls attached to a hind leg? Would the hair not get everywhere? I've wondered about this for a while now.
I'm planning an alpine hunt this weekend and I'm not going to drag bucky 2km+ Back to the truck

Leaseman
08-31-2016, 08:33 AM
i'm really sorry for this and i understand if you are alpine hunting or a long ways from any vehicle to move it but...you guys and your gutless method just doesn't do it for me..i always drag it out with fur on.....the more cuts (exposed meat) you make in the field the more wasted meat come final packaging is my experience..i wont even quarter/half an animal if i can get it out whole...flame on

Old school!

The way I was taught many years ago....and taught my son!! :smile:

Just about always skinned when I got home too! Way easier on clean up, but then again I never did early hunts!!

Carrollizer
08-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Be careful, and you can cut around the genitals with out too much trouble, making not that much of a mess, while still being attached. If the idea of hair touching the meat bothers you, bring a ziploc baggy and elastic band with you to cover over the naughty bits. And just a tip, if you do not already know. Cutting the hide from the inside out lessens the amount of hair contamination.

Found in the Regs:
(2) For deer:(a)If the animal is male(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR(ii) the unskinned tail and either atesticle or part of the penis.(b) If the animal is female(i) that portion of the head whichin males normally bears antlers,OR a portion of the udder andteats, AND(ii) the unskinned tail.
So I can leave his nasty bits and just take a portion of his head and antlers

MichelD
08-31-2016, 10:19 AM

No flame here. I agree with you.

Skull Hunter
09-01-2016, 05:47 PM

I only would de-bone if I had a large pack out, but I would leave the nuts attached to one of the quarters, with the fur on for evidence of species. If I remember I take a little sandwich back to tie around the nuts to keep hair off the rest of the meat. Otherwise it all ends up in the same game back. You can pull most of the loose hair away from around the cuts to minimize the amount of hair on the meat, but it's generally not that bad.

Pursuit
09-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Stop and take lots of photos! All hunts are special, but this will be a first. Those photos will be a great way to look back on this trip for years to come when memories start to fade.

woodsman
09-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Injured, lost or need to attract help. Carry a good quality whistle around your neck for those emergencies. Can blow it all day long without wrecking your vocal cords.