PDA

View Full Version : 3-16 A Goats

charlie_horse
08-28-2016, 06:50 PM
So my buddy hasn't been able to figure out his new online fwid for leh and just got an authorization for 3-16a goats. Now he must have put in the wrong hunt code because we both put in for goat out of the duffy lake side of 3-16 as we know the area. Because of this neither of us have any knowledge of 3-16a so if anyone could lend a hand with access points or anything that would be most helpful.

Cheers and thanks

Darksith
08-29-2016, 02:52 PM
there is no such thing as 3-16 leh zone...

charlie_horse
08-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Ummmm? Yes there is?

Rhyno
08-29-2016, 03:32 PM
there is no such thing as 3-16 leh zone...

The LEH synopsis disagrees with this statement.

RackStar
08-29-2016, 03:40 PM
There's definitely a 316a.
Just like there's a 3-33 a b c etc.

MichelD
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
A quick look at my backroad map book indicates that zone is in Stein park. No roads there. You might gain access via the North Kwoeik Forest Service road.

Darksith
08-29-2016, 03:59 PM
sorry, I meant exclusively 3-16...there is a 3-16a, b, c etc...but no just 3-16...but now that I reread it, hes talking about being familiar and putting in for the south west side of the MU

ElectricDyck
08-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Do a search on here you'll find some info..

Access through boston bar, then the hydro access by the river or from lytton to kwioek, north kwioek is overgrown and un passable with all bridges pulled, bridges are pulled on main after the first or second lake..expect bush burn on your truck to get to the pulled bridge. It will be a 6 to 12 hour hike with half of that pushing side alder and fording rivers/creeks into 3:16a depending on your fitness level and route finding capabilities.

There are goats but there are far easier places to get to them.

I don't feel bad giving away a little info as its too much alder pushing for most.

Some guys say you can get at easy goats from the hydro access by the river but this isn't true look at your maps closely. 3:16a is 2 ridges over, there are goats where these guys say they are but it isn't in your draw area, you will be poaching.

You can try hiking in from stein parking lot..cant remember the name of the first trail heading up into the mountains but its a 6 to 8 hour hike into the basin then not sure how long to get up onto the ridges. There used to be a user maintained cabin 1/2 way but it wouldn't work well as a staging point..

Research club tread, lots of trip reports about skihist, antimony lake and various other peaks on there, some of the people on there are hardcore hikers and if they had binos and a rifle would have a ton of success.

Go early snow will block the hike able passes..

Good luck its a gorgeous area, I applied for the draw with the idea of killing a goat but I suspect as usual people applied not knowing how hard it was and will not even make an attempt.

Timberjack
08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Hey. I can help you out on that one too. Gimme a call one night and I'll point you guys in the right direction.. It's not as tough as it sounds... But the one comment about snow is correct...

TJ