PDA

View Full Version : Google earth for new spot

mulieaddiction
08-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Hey guys i been working hard to find me a spot for alpine mulies never done alpine before or any 4points so i was wondering if i can post some pics from google earth and u guys can let me know if it looks like a place to check out? It doesnt have road names or gps just the pics of the mountain i wonna try out just looking for some info on if it looks worth trying thank you! And also i hunt alone and am 24 so any info will help thanks!

Huevos
08-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Google earth can be great, but don't put too much stock in the roads and trails that should be there. Sometimes you get there and what you thought was a road is actually forest now. Good luck.

Slinky Pickle
08-28-2016, 08:15 PM
You might want to check your spot on Bing Maps too. It may (or may not) be more current that what Google Earth shows.

https://www.bing.com/maps

Mikey Rafiki
08-28-2016, 08:17 PM
A great looking spot can have few deer and a crappy looking spots can be loaded. If there are mulies down low chances are they will be in the alpine above but other than that there is only one way to find out.

two-feet
08-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Post up a spot, i know very little about mulie hunting but maybe some of the deer hunters on here can enlighten us both with feedback.

With moose i look for spots on google earth and just try to find the habitat that best suites their needs at that time of year, mark the utm coordinates in my gps then go have a look.

mulieaddiction
08-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Im trying to upload the pics from google but its saying it doesnt fit says its to big ahhhh

Caribou_lou
08-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Another tool to use is Navionics web app. It's mainly used for ocean and lake depths for fishing. But you can go on and change the map setting to satellite. Really just the same as google maps, and bing maps. But may show the picture of area in a different season. Or newer photos. Good luck

Whonnock Boy
08-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Go to google maps, find your spot, highlight the address in the search bar, right click, copy, come back here, right click again, and paste. It will link us to your spot within google maps, and we can check it out. Like this.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.1829712,-122.5609213,501m/data=!3m1!1e3

Im trying to upload the pics from google but its saying it doesnt fit says its to big ahhhh

EDIT** But with that said, unless someone who has previously been to your spot responds, the only way of knowing if your spot is good, is to actually go there and find out in the flesh. I've checked out some alpine thinking it would be great, only to find very little sign, with zero actual sightings. Time of year, weather through out the summer, and in general, the common cycle of ungulate activity, be it population or they just didn't feel like living there this year, all plays a part.

two-feet
08-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Yup gotta go sniff it out. Part of the fun. I am breaking new ground for moose for the third year in a row this year.

twoSevenO
08-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Go to google maps, find your spot, highlight the address in the search bar, right click, copy, come back here, right click again, and paste. It will link us to your spot within google maps, and we can check it out. Like this.

EDIT** But with that said, unless someone who has previously been to your spot responds, the only way of knowing if your spot is good, is to actually go there and find out in the flesh. I've checked out some alpine thinking it would be great, only to find very little sign, with zero actual sightings. Time of year, weather through out the summer, and in general, the common cycle of ungulate activity, be it population or they just didn't feel like living there this year, all plays a part.

Pretty sure he wants to provide a picture of the map, not the map itself where everyone can find out where the spot is.

Anyways .... upload your pictures to imgur and then post the links here. That'll avoid the large pic problem.

Also, you're 24 dude not 84, you should know how to work a computer in this day and age.

Whonnock Boy
08-29-2016, 09:26 PM
That was something that I was wondering about, although, I also thought that it really didn't matter. They're just spots in the province that anyone can search up. In addition, linking the actual map allows those who wish to respond, the ability to change elevations, scroll the area, and change points of view allowing them to give better advise. A screen shot is only going to show a bird eye view of alpine. You can't really get much from that in my opinion.

Pretty sure he wants to provide a picture of the map, not the map itself where everyone can find out where the spot is.

Ohwildwon
08-29-2016, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Whonnock Boy;1812588]Go to google maps, find your spot, highlight the address in the search bar, right click, copy, come back here, right click again, and paste. It will link us to your spot within google maps, and we can check it out. Like this.

Had some decent Cougar sightings at your spot example, didn't have a tag though...:)