PDA

View Full Version : over under combo rifle shotty

itsy bitsy xj
08-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Who has them and how do you like it? Do you use it lots or prefer a hunting rifle?
Anyone got one for sale?
I have a new Savage model 42 in 22 mag over 410 but I would like something with more stopping power

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 03:43 PM
I have had three, a 70s Valmet in .308Win-12, ss trigger, scope and irons. Sold due to layoff in the 80s.

In 1989, my wife bought me a Browning-Miroku, Type 3 action, also .308-12, Invectors, adjustable irons, half floating and VERY fine ejection-extraction system for the rimless case. Accurate and really good on deer and grouse, all I have shot with it.

I also have a Merkel drilling, 9.3x74r-12, custom scope mounts, irons and so forth by Gary Flach, must be nearly 20 years ago and this rig shoots tiny groups as well as slugs, buckshot and bird loads. Never use it now, have not shot it since about five years ago.

There are SOME good combo guns around, but, lots of cheap crap and a poor one will eat $$$$$ in repairs. A good one is among the most useful *meat guns* for BC that can be had.

08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Who has them and how do you like it? Do you use it lots or prefer a hunting rifle?
Anyone got one for sale?
I have a new Savage model 42 in 22 mag over 410 but I would like something with more stopping power

Have a Savage 24 V model in 30/30-20 gauge, best truck gun bar none. Over the years, twice it has helped me harvest both birds and deer on the same day. Once l parted company with my quad with it strapped on my back........cracked the stock and it beat me unmercifully when we finally re-connected with perma terra again, but it came away still shooting fine. Was given a recipe using 130 gr Hornadys and given enough time it will shoot the center out of a target at 100 yards. Wasn't until years later and a lot of table fare served up that l clocked the load and it was rather slow (2,100'/sec) but by that time it already had an impressive track record of getting the job done. Have it scoped with an old Bushnell 4X that's still clear...........found out that as long as a flying grouse is in the scope somewhere, that's close enough for one dead chicken.

ruger#1
08-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Have a Savage 24 V model in 30/30-20 gauge, best truck gun bar none. Over the years, twice it has helped me harvest both birds and deer on the same day. Once l parted company with my quad with it strapped on my back........cracked the stock and it beat me unmercifully when we finally re-connected with perma terra again, but it came away still shooting fine. Was given a recipe using 130 gr Hornadys and given enough time it will shoot the center out of a target at 100 yards. Wasn't until years later and a lot of table fare served up that l clocked the load and it was rather slow (2,100'/sec) but by that time it already had an impressive track record of getting the job done. Have it scoped with an old Bushnell 4X that's still clear...........found out that as long as a flying grouse is in the scope somewhere, that's close enough for one dead chicken. My father has the same one. He loves it. You can load it with pointed bullets. That combo is very hard to find.

recoil
08-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Bought a brand new Bakail a few months ago, 12 gauge over 308, been too busy to shoot it yet : (

I think a paid around $850 for it mail order from the importer in Ontario.

dracb
08-28-2016, 04:28 PM
They are something you have to have a taste for. A good one will generally cost more than a typical production bolt or lever action rifle bought off the shelf. If I was just going for a walk in the woods hunt where everything that is in season is an acceptable target, I would probably take a combination gun (probably a 7mm caliber under a 20 gauge). If I am primarily hunting cats or coyotes the rifle barrel would likely be a 22 center fire under a 12 gauge (with a couple of 70 grain hand loads and or shotgun slugs in my pocket). Before hips and knees became mobility issues if the trip was a fly-in or hike-in mountain hunt I would normally chose a bolt action rifle to carry while hunting the premier target of the trip. Not uncommonly my partner or I would bring along a combination gun as a spare or to hunt ptarmigan with in case we had time after cutting our tags.

The one issue with these guns that I never really sorted out was an emotional one for me. These guns are frequently so pretty and costly that I just could not enjoy using a rather delicate multi-thousand dollar "tool/art piece" during inclement weather.

itsy bitsy xj
08-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Anyone use a Savage 24? I've seen a couple on CGN

Surrey Boy
08-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Bought a brand new Bakail a few months ago, 12 gauge over 308, been too busy to shoot it yet : (

I think a paid around $850 for it mail order from the importer in Ontario.

One of my workmates had a Baikal 30-06/12ga. I was impressed with the gun as it was just as accurate as my H&R, but I don't like two triggers and wouldn't buy one, only for that reason.

Iron Glove
08-28-2016, 09:22 PM
I have a Baikal in 22 mag / 410 also, great grouse and bunny gun but certainly not a big games.
The Savage 24's come, or came in a variety of centre fire / shotgun combos, would love to pick up one but from most reports the new ones are not near the quality of the older ones and thus the older ones command a much higher price.
You can find them frequently on GunNutz.
Personally I'd like a 30-30 / 20 ga as others have stated.

itsy bitsy xj
08-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Personally I'd like a 30-30 / 20 ga as others have stated.

That what I was hoping to find or even better would be 270 or 243 but I'd settle for anything

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 04:19 AM
Look on Tradeex. I have seen some on there before.

BgBlkDg
08-29-2016, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE=itsy bitsy xj;1812361]That what I was hoping to find or even better would be 270 or 243 but I'd settle for anything[/QUOTE

What is your budget limit, there are good guns at fair prices out there if you know how-where to look and buy.

If, you are looking for something to use and be proud of for many years, call the various high end gun shops in Canada and ask around. Ellwood Epps, in Ontario, often has guns of this type available and Martinis used to have a lot of them on consignment.

Just a suggestion, I have never found them difficult to find, $$$$$ is another story...........

Seeadler
08-29-2016, 09:47 AM
IMO, you are better off with a drilling, which is not what you asked about, or a O/U shotgun with 1 barrel sighted for slugs, or a smoothbore pump with rifle sights.

A single shot shotgun is perfect for around the barnyard but leaves a lot to be desired for hunting... except for shooting chickens on the side of the road.

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 09:54 AM
IMO, you are better off with a drilling, which is not what you asked about, or a O/U shotgun with 1 barrel sighted for slugs, or a smoothbore pump with rifle sights.

A single shot shotgun is perfect for around the barnyard but leaves a lot to be desired for hunting... except for shooting chickens on the side of the road. He was asking about a over and under shotgun, rifle combo. Not a single shot, Shotgun.:confused:

Seeadler
08-29-2016, 10:24 AM
He was asking about a over and under shotgun, rifle combo. Not a single shot, Shotgun.:confused:

How many shotguns shells does a Savage 24 hold?

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How many shotguns shells does a Savage 24 hold?
It holds a 30-30 top barrel. Bottom 20g. So I would say One shotgun shell and one rifle.

Seeadler
08-29-2016, 10:36 AM
It holds a 30-30 top barrel. Bottom 20g. So I would say One shotgun shell and one rifle.

Aka a single shot shotgun. I've both a Ruger #1 and a single shot 12 gauge and feel better off this way than with the O/U combo I had.

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 10:41 AM
This is what he would like.
http://www.sabatti.it/en/Our-products/For-wing-shooter-and-hunter-with-dogs/SubCategory/CatID/16/Rifle_shotgun_combos#.V8RziIWcF2E

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Aka a single shot shotgun. I've both a Ruger #1 and a single shot 12 gauge and feel better off this way than with the O/U combo I had.Do you carry both at the same time?

Seeadler
08-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Do you carry both at the same time?

Why? No grouse is worth scaring off a deer/elk/etc.

Different strokes for different folks but my combo went down the road because I found the theory better than the practice. Others might find otherwise.

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Why? No grouse is worth scaring off a deer/elk/etc.

Different strokes for different folks but my combo went down the road because I found the theory better than the practice. Others might find otherwise. I do a lot of walking. Have shot grouse and spooked deer not to far away. No slugs. Or SSGs . would of been nice to have a combo. But now I pack my CZ 6.5X55 and my little Chiappa 22 mag. Need to load some squab loads for the 6.5X55 for grouse. Then I can pack one rifle.

Leaseman
08-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Anyone use a Savage 24? I've seen a couple on CGN

I have a couple, nice little guns!

One thing to watch for on the older ones....the selector liked to break on them! Make sure it functions well!

Xenomorph
08-29-2016, 12:07 PM
I like them a lot but I think it's a waste on me. Just don't have the space anymore. Still remember the bitch of a SxS Baikal that put me on my arse when I was 12yo. Went flying, BEWM! SWOOSH!

Leaseman
08-29-2016, 12:16 PM
I like them a lot but I think it's a waste on me. Just don't have the space anymore. Still remember the bitch of a SxS Baikal that put me on my arse when I was 12yo. Went flying, BEWM! SWOOSH!

I have a nice SXS in '06 you could buy that doesn't kick that much!! 8)

Xenomorph
08-29-2016, 12:33 PM
I have a nice SXS in '06 you could buy that doesn't kick that much!! 8)

Oh you sweet talker you ...but in all honesty, if I'd lay my hands on it, I'd probably buy it.

Happy hunting.

Leaseman
08-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Oh you sweet talker you ...but in all honesty, if I'd lay my hands on it, I'd probably buy it.

Happy hunting.

That is the whole idea!!

I am in Surrey....work in Burnaby!!!:shock: :wink: :smile:

finngun
08-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Valmet 12gau/ 30-06 is mine...mainly my bush gun..iron sight. Like that baby,littel heavy,,but much lighter than carry rifle and shotty..it is deer stopper 100ya or under..putting a red dot on it right now..no no it is not for sale..but if somebody likes..i might know,,where to find one:cool:

ruger#1
08-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Valmet 12gau/ 30-06 is mine...mainly my bush gun..iron sight. Like that baby,littel heavy,,but much lighter than carry rifle and shotty..it is deer stopper 100ya or under..putting a red dot on it right now..no no it is not for sale..but if somebody likes..i might know,,where to find one:cool: I met a guy in Rock Creek in the 80s. He had one of those in a 7X57mm X 12g. This guy was interesting. He lived in a six X six, That was converted into a camper. Last I heard he gotten married and settled down.

Iron Glove
08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
That what I was hoping to find or even better would be 270 or 243 but I'd settle for anything

theammosource.com lists a 30-30 / 20 ga.
Be prepared for sticker shock. :smile: