PDA

View Full Version : Moose and Lakes

Brambles
08-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Heading out on a solo backpack archery moose hunt. I have a bull located living on a lake, I have no chance at getting a boat to the lake.

I will either have to skirt the outside of the lake or hope he comes to calls this early in the season.

My biggest nightmare would be him running out into the lake to die after being stuck with an arrow. I seen lots of pics of bulls sunk in a lake...it would make a solo retrieval much more difficult.

whats everyone's experience, do moose have a passion for dying in lakes? Any good tips or tricks for dealing with one if he does decide to take a post arrow dip?

what about being able to call them away from the lake and hopefully closer to the direction of the truck early September??

thx

Brambles

Buck
08-28-2016, 02:40 PM
I say plan B call him closer to the truck.My experience with ungulates is they go for water when wounded.Can you get a cheap inflatable into the lake?

180grainer
08-28-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't know about wanting to die in a lake. I always saw it as a defensive move when hurt or feeling threatened. Great way to keep a pack of wolves at bay.

71_camaro
08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Bring a hand winch.get him on the shore.cut him up and pack him out

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Pack your Speedos. They are light

smoothbor
08-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Hey Brambles I called a bull away fro his water source gave him a perfect heart shot with my bow. He bolted for thick timber and all went quiet for about 30-40 seconds then all hell broke loose and he ran into the lake and died so not sure if it matters a whole lot if near water or away. Seems like that's where they head lol

butcher
08-28-2016, 03:24 PM

hahahahaha! And comfortable.

One dude and a good knife can take apart any moose. Rope will help.

two-feet
08-28-2016, 03:26 PM
I would try to call him off the lake.

decker9
08-28-2016, 03:31 PM
My dad arrowed a moose a couple years ago, he was on shore, the moose ran in the lake and expired. I arrowed mine a couple days later, same spot but from a canoe, he ran in the bush and expired. Ime, if your on shore, he will head to the water.

Brambles
08-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Bring a hand winch.get him on the shore.cut him up and pack him out

You mean a comealong winch or a boat winch?... I have come-along, bulky and slow but it will work....

i can can certainly pack rope and a come-along in, but it's all stuff that adds to the number of trips I need to make..

boxhitch
08-28-2016, 04:12 PM
Some hunts are just more of a challenge when done solo. Adds to the story. Working in knee deep mud in armpit deep muddy bloody water should be experienced by everyone. Float out the sections on a kids inflatable or an inner tube.
Good luck

Brambles
08-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Hey Brambles I called a bull away fro his water source gave him a perfect heart shot with my bow. He bolted for thick timber and all went quiet for about 30-40 seconds then all hell broke loose and he ran into the lake and died so not sure if it matters a whole lot if near water or away. Seems like that's where they head lol

My dad arrowed a moose a couple years ago, he was on shore, the moose ran in the lake and expired. I arrowed mine a couple days later, same spot but from a canoe, he ran in the bush and expired. Ime, if your on shore, he will head to the water.

thx guys...I'm definitely gonna try and work smart with this bull, he's got the biggest gut i've seen on a moose. Certainly lots of opportunity for him to expire in mud or water.

Salty
08-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Just a thought never tried it. But if you set up near shore so you can have yourself between the moose and the water as he approaches and then make your presence known after the shot 9/10 he'd run inland. Some risks there but you know that.

Brambles
08-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Just a thought never tried it. But if you set up near shore so you can have yourself between the moose and the water as he approaches and then make your presence known after the shot 9/10 he'd run inland. Some risks there but you know that.

Depending how cooperative he is, this is certainly a possibility, and a tactic I'm gonna try for.

Brambles
08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
What about early sept calling, anyone with pre-rut calling luck?

Caribou_lou
08-28-2016, 04:51 PM
You should be able to pattern him. A trail that brings him to the lake? Wait on the trail and stick him well away from the lake. I wouldn't call myself. I've had zero luck early September. But might consider calling if it's a frosty morning.

russm
08-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Get yourself some sort of inflatable boat just incase you need to get a rope around him if he gets too far into the lake.

decker9
08-28-2016, 05:23 PM
A few small snatch blocks and a bit of rope goes a long way. Doubtful to get him right on the shore, but least might help getting him close(r). Good luck!!

wideopenthrottle
08-28-2016, 05:44 PM
if you do get him on the water at the far end of the lake, he can be floated if the water is deep enough and you havent gutted him...chest waders or warm water are your friend in this case...is your vehicle close enough to the lake to make a canoe on top of the truck a viable backup plan?

Brambles
08-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Get yourself some sort of inflatable boat just incase you need to get a rope around him if he gets too far into the lake.

that means I gotta find one...summer season is over, nobody selling rafts.

if you do get him on the water at the far end of the lake, he can be floated if the water is deep enough and you havent gutted him...chest waders or warm water are your friend in this case...is your vehicle close enough to the lake to make a canoe on top of the truck a viable backup plan?

Closest the truck or ATV can get is 2-2.5kms from the moose, depending where he falls.

Sitkaspruce
08-28-2016, 07:30 PM
I have been there done this a few times....only one was my moose, a few have been clients.

My water retrieval pack carried the following:

- A 6" spike/nail
- small axe
- spool of parachute cord approx. 100' long
- fire starter kit - starter, weather proof lighter and dry kindling
- extra undies, merino shirt and socks and one of those blue towels that packs small but absorbs lots of water.
- pool/beach shoes.....

I look for a 12-15' sapling, cut it down and trim the branches. Cut off the top at around 3" in diameter, flatten the end and drive the spike through it. Start a fire on the beach or shore(if you can), strip down to undies and sock and put on the pool shoes....tie the cord to shore and go for your retrieval because they never die in waist to knee deep water.....When you get near the moose, use the sapling to "spike" the spike in to the moose hide and pull the moose to you, then move towards the shore and again pull the moose with the sapling until you are standing and can tie it off. If you have to swim, then forget the sapling and just take the cord, but I am not a great swimmer in the cold water, so I would wade then swim/tread until close then use the sapling. It's a lot easier than trying to pull the moose by it's antlers or leg, swim with the moose or pull in by the cord while swimming. Once you get to shore, warm up because you will be cold, then deal with the moose using the gutless method, keeping the fire stoked and you warm. Once done, put on the dry undies and socks, pants and boots and pack the beast out!!!! Yes you will look like an idiot standing there in undies, socks and pool shoes cutting a moose.......but who cares!!!

Good luck Brambles and let us know how you make out!!!

Cheers

SS

srthomas75
08-28-2016, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Sitkaspruce;1812310]I have been there done this a few times....only one was my moose, a few have been clients.

- A 6" spike/nail
- small axe
- extra undies, merino shirt and socks and one of those blue towels that packs small but absorbs lots of water.
- pool/beach shoes.....

I look for a 12-15' sapling, cut it down and trim the branches. Cut off the top at around 3" in diameter, flatten the end and drive the spike through it. Start a fire on the beach or shore(if you can), strip down to undies and sock and put on the pool shoes....tie the cord to shore and go for your retrieval because they never die in waist to knee deep water.....When you get near the moose, use the sapling to "spike" the spike in to the moose hide and pull the moose to you, then move towards the shore and again pull the moose with the sapling until you are standing and can tie it off. If you have to swim, then forget the sapling and just take the cord, but I am not a great swimmer in the cold water, so I would wade then swim/tread until close then use the sapling. It's a lot easier than trying to pull the moose by it's antlers or leg, swim with the moose or pull in by the cord while swimming. Once you get to shore, warm up because you will be cold, then deal with the moose using the gutless method, keeping the fire stoked and you warm. Once done, put on the dry undies and socks, pants and boots and pack the beast out!!!! Yes you will look like an idiot standing there in undies, socks and pool shoes cutting a moose.......but who cares!!!

Cheers

If you go with this method take a camera to video it. We would all enjoy watching the show.

Brambles
08-28-2016, 07:56 PM
I have been there done this a few times....only one was my moose, a few have been clients.

- A 6" spike/nail
- small axe
- pool/beach shoes.....

Cheers

SS

thanks for taking the time to lay out the specifics...the info is golden...have you carried out the same maneuver in lakes with boggy, muddy shorelines...me thinks this lake has a muddy shore and bottom...

quadrakid
08-28-2016, 08:43 PM
If you put an arrow into his sweet spot without spooking him i think its very possible he won,t head right for the water.Try to arrow him and not let him know you are there. I have taken lots of deer with a bow and quite a few never really reacted harshly to a clean lung shot,just looked around,went about there business and keeled over. Good luck.

two-feet
08-28-2016, 09:00 PM
I have had moose come in mid sept around smithers, had a small group of them come in silently. It was 27c that afternoon so luckily we did not connect.

Sitkaspruce
08-28-2016, 09:52 PM
thanks for taking the time to lay out the specifics...the info is golden...have you carried out the same maneuver in lakes with boggy, muddy shorelines...me thinks this lake has a muddy shore and bottom...

Pretty well all the time. That's is why I like the beach shoes; they have enough sole to save your feet, don't weigh anything and will stay on when you are knee deep in the mud....took me a few sticks between my toes to look for something better than my socks. I think I got mine at wally world for $10.

One other thing I forgot to mention....when you get out of the water....look for leaches every time, they seem to like bare skin!!!

I have heard of guys duct tapping their pants to their boots and around their waste to reduce the cold, but once u r wet....y r wet!! And to pack wet pants and hike in wet boots just does not sound fun!!!

Cheers

SS

markomoose
08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Take pics?This should be interesting!

6 K
08-29-2016, 06:00 PM
I've dragged a few out of the water. come along works well other methods too, but what I've found most important is to get the front legs over the antlers then get a good piece of rope with either a slip knot or noose or even tight around the neck. over the top of the head an put at least two half hitches around the nose and front hooves and another around just the nose then a loop at the end of the rope. Attach your come along to the loop. As it tightens it will keep the head, antlers and hooves from digging into the ground. If your anchor is high enough it will actually provide some lift, and dead donkey will come out in jolts. Don't be in the way :)
Happy hunting and do keep us up dated.

Brambles
08-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Well I'm a bit frustrated, I had 5 days booked for archery elk/moose...but dude at work decided to hurt himself so I gotta work extra shifts and loose an extra day off I booked.....so this bull gets a stay of execution for a week longer.
After Sept 10th I'm on holidays for 60 days or so...............so moosie beware.

wife bought me some water shoes today and I'm piecing together a lightweight pulley/rope system and other goodies mentioned in this thread...

luckofthedraw
08-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Good luck. Enjoy those 60 days off!

Wild Images
08-30-2016, 07:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Z_7nbD-DE&app=desktop

Have someone build you one of these out of aluminum

Brambles
08-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Ken, I was thinking about something like that but even simpler....I don't see the need to strap it tight to the tree, and therefore no need for the 45 degree plate, once the tension is on, it finds its own angle.

Xenomorph
08-30-2016, 07:42 AM
that means I gotta find one...summer season is over, nobody selling rafts.

Whereabouts are you, I just put mine in storage. You could cut him up and bring him to shore if needed, pretty big

BromBones
08-30-2016, 07:44 AM
You need a packraft. Changes the game for hunting those hike-in pot hole lakes.

Can ferry 1-2 quarters out, depending on the size of your bull. If he does expire in the water, at least you can paddle out and get a rope on him without going for a dip.

Whonnock Boy
08-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Best idea so far. A pair of waders for getting out of a marshy spot to clear water might be an idea as well.

You need a packraft. Changes the game for hunting those hike-in pot hole lakes.

Can ferry 1-2 quarters out, depending on the size of your bull. If he does expire in the water, at least you can paddle out and get a rope on him without going for a dip.

Glenny
08-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Hey Whonnock Boy. Sorry to hear about the great man in your avatar. RIP Gene.

08-30-2016, 08:53 AM

But the Come-along, pulleys and lots of rope will be heavy.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2016, 09:13 AM
But the Come-along, pulleys and lots of rope will be heavy.

Have you seen Brambles in person?? He fights off Grizzlies with his 'bear' hands. He won't need that crap.

smoothbor
08-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Hey Jeff when I shot my bull it was sept 13 and I called him in on a string. I was in a pine patch working a swampy area and heard him grunting then I saw cow calf go by so I waited gave some calls he came right in had no idea I was there 12 yard shot right through the heart. Saw several bulls that trip all were making some noise. Kid had same draw the next year same area and time we never heard a peep so some years may be different than others. Weather, and all that other stuff plays a part I think for sure. When we there both years it was 30 degrees everyday!

Brambles
08-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Whereabouts are you, I just put mine in storage. You could cut him up and bring him to shore if needed, pretty big

Im in the west kootenays....

Brambles
08-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Have you seen Brambles in person?? He fights off Grizzlies with his 'bear' hands. He won't need that crap.

LOL....you make sound like I'm John Cena....or Paul Bunyan

Cordillera
09-01-2016, 10:38 PM
A few small snatch blocks and a bit of rope goes a long way. Doubtful to get him right on the shore, but least might help getting him close(r). Good luck!!

Second this! I pack a "pin kit" from canoeing. It consists of two pulleys, a couple carabiners, a couple Prussiks, some webbing and 40 meters of 9mm static line. You can set up a three to one pulley in a hurry and its a lot more versatile and lighter than a come along.