PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunt

youngbuck
06-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't typical go grouse hunting come early fall but I thought it would be a great way to introduce my son to hunting. He's 5 years old and doesn't hut shis trap (what's this, why there, when..??). Therefore, i thought that grouse hunting would be good as they don't scare as easily with the noise.

So, I'm would if anyone could recommend some good spots in the Lower Mainland area that I could take my son fora day hunt. I'm not looking for any secret spots but I'd like it not be with the huge crowds either. Keep in mind he is only 5 so it cannot be too much steep hill climbing.

Also, what is the preffered method for grouse? Walking Roads, bush whacking, driving, etc.?

Thanx

Fisher-Dude
06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't know the coast area, but for technique, drive the roads with grassy shoulders in mid-morning, and walk any of the little overgrown, grassy side roads, especially the ones with thick willows or alders on the sides. Usually, they feed in the early morning, and come out a bit later on the old roads for some gravel and sunshine. The last couple of hours before dark can be good too as they are again on the old roads picking gravel.

Good luck, ditch chickens were what I started out with...kids love huntin them!

The Dawg
06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Try the Boston Bar area...lots of FSR's, and usually pretty quiet...I have seen quite a few around there

Steeleco
06-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Hunting grouse with him will teach him to SUSH!!! trust me. My son was the same, now he's Mr. Silent hunter!!!

There's lots of easy driving roads on either side of the Coq. All the way to Merritt. Never seem to be short of ditch chickens there!

Chuck
06-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I agree! Starting kids on grouse is definitely the way to go. Got my first 410 shotgun for my tenth birthday, a Cooey single shot - still have it too! Cost my Dad $26 new. I don't know how many boxes of shells I've put through it since then but the bore is still shiny as glass. "Ditch chickens" reminds me of a story - Oh I must apologize for butting in like this, but it's funny and if I don't tell it now I will probably forget to. Back in the early 80's I met a city boy, new to the country and he asked me "What are those strange birds I've never seen before, that sit at the side of the road, and then just as you get along side of them, they fly into my vehicle and commit suicide". Well, yes I told him - those are the famous "British Columbia suicide storks". "Oh, says he, I wonder why we don't have them in ****** where I come from?" "You know I've already killed two or three since I got here". The guy was in his late 20s and should have known better, but he was dead serious. So I educated him. How could I possibly refuse? LMAO for days.

youngbuck
06-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone....

I'm assuming you are suggesting that we raod hunt as opposed to walking the roads?

Mr. Dean
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Drive the roads and notice where you spot them. Then next time, you can park and walk that stretch. They seem to like hanging out at the same places.

Sasquatch
06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I like to drive the back roads until I see a bird or two or find a likely spot and then get out and walk.

Anywhere a creek crosses the road with available cover, is worth a good look. Or if the creek runs alongside the road, walk the whole thing. If you see patches of berries, that is also a good place to check out. If you see a bird on the road, check the whole area out well, even if you kill the bird. There are often more around than just the single.
I hunt with a dog, but the same applies if you are hunting without one.

I usually do better in the late afternoon than the morning, but that may be just me taking time to wake up.

Last year there were birds all over the place and I had a couple of good days around the Squamish River and also just off the Coq. between Hope and Merrit.

With the cold wet spring we had this year, we may see a few less birds this fall. Still should be plenty enough around to have some fun.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you and the young fella did.

hunter1947
06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I would suggest you just find a place that is comfortable for you ,not any steep grads. It does not matter if there are not a lot of animals around. Go his pace when walking and tell him to tell you if he is starting to get tired ,reason being is that you still have to go back to your truck or car ,the same distance that you have come in. Keep asking him this ,you don't want to throw him off hunting. I would use a 22 when you go in on this adventure to get him use to the noise if you decide to shoot you gun.. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

mrdoog
06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
First of all, he's yapping because he's your son and he just wants to walk beside his Dad.
I've never hunting Grouse anywhere besides Kamloops or 100 Mile house areas, lots of good advice has been given.
Take your son out for a walk, where there are trees and water, you'll find grouse.
More importantly enjoy your time with your son, he's only 5; play your cards right and you'll have decades of walks and talks.

Ken the Kanuck
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Try the road up past Silver Lake just before Hope ( road to Ross Lake ) after you climb up the first part there is lots of flat road along the valley to Ross Lake with logging roads coming off the sides. It's a nice drive and I have taken some good tasting chickens in there.

Good luck,

KTK

Phoneguy
06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Went out for bear a couple of times this spring up Harrison West. The last daytrip out it was stinking hot. Saw a half dozen grouse all together on the spurs. Got some good picks and a few videos of them trying to distract us from the chicks.

James

bsa30-06
06-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Went out for bear a couple of times this spring up Harrison West. The last daytrip out it was stinking hot. Saw a half dozen grouse all together on the spurs. Got some good picks and a few videos of them trying to distract us from the chicks.

James

Same on the east side of the lake, saw a few the last time i was out.