PDA

View Full Version : Animal transports regs question

steve-r
08-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Just looking at the regs and wondering if I'm reading this correctly.
Regs say:
"Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts: (1) For elk and moose: (a) If the animal is male, either (i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR (ii) both a testicle or part of the penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2. "

In the following example:
-kill a legal bull elk, and need to pack it out
-field dress, gutless method; head/antlers are separated from the carcass, rest is game bags of deboned meat

Since the head is no longer attached to the deboned meat, (not naturally attached to the carcass) is transport of the deboned meat legal as is as long as it is in the presence of the head, or do you also need to leave a testicle, penis, tail, or patch of fur attached to one of the quarters of deboned meat?

I called and emailed the CO office for clarification but no response.

I'm thinking that the phrase "
or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts: (1) For elk and moose: (a) If the animal is male, either (i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers " says just bring the head, no others parts required.

Can anyone confirm the correct interpretation? Thanks.

boxhitch
08-28-2016, 10:50 AM
You always need to have proof of sex and proof of species by an attached piece of hide.
How many pieces on how many bits of deboned meat is not explained.
As long as all the bits will put Humpty back together again , you should be good.

steve-r
08-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Ok, lets assume 5 bags, one per quarter, and a 5th for backstraps and tenderloins.
Does each bag need attached proof of sex and or species? Ie, both rears keep a testicle and patch of fur, and both fronts and the straps keep a patch of fur?

dracb
08-28-2016, 04:35 PM
must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts: (1) For elk and moose: (a) If the animal is male, either (i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR (ii) both a testicle/penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2. "

Huevos
08-28-2016, 07:36 PM
The way I read that is if you are taking out the head, The antlers would be sufficient for animal id and sex. The head is one part of the carcass, so you should be good. Usually when I take apart an animal, I will leave a testicle attached to each hind quarter. I usually just cut a hole in the meat and tuck it into the muscles. The head proves the identity of the carcass. now if it is a cow.... I will leave the mammory gland on one quarter. it can be used for id and sex ID.

Iltasyuko
08-28-2016, 09:00 PM
The way I read that is if you are taking out the head, The antlers would be sufficient for animal id and sex. The head is one part of the carcass, so you should be good..

...makes sense to me too, but honestly not sure if the Ministry has the same take on what the 'carcass' is. It would help if carcass was included in the definitions section.

Huevos
08-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Also, most everyone has a camera. Take a pic before you cut it up. I know it doesn't meet regulation requirements, but it would go a long way if you had to fight it in court. Realistically, I don't think that most CO's are looking for law abiding to mess up on the small stuff. Do your best and don't worry about the rest of it. Good luck this season.

thepitchedlink
08-29-2016, 08:52 PM
The way I have done it, is:
I wrap the dink and tail in a small plastic bag, taped shut (still on the animal). Keeps both clean and stops the dink making any mess, reminds me not to cut either off
I gutless the animal, dink on one rear quarter, tail on another
I leave the feet attached to all 4 quarters , I stop skinning at the knee/elbow and leave that hide on down to the feet
I take the head, or skull plate if it's a long walk

I feel the bit of hide left with the feet on each quarter is enough to identify the species
The dink/balls on one quarter is enough to identify sex, the antlers are redundant, or might be required (elk)(4pt mule deer)
I'll admit that I don't leave anything attached to the tenderloin or backstrap or any neck meat, but I don't feel I need to, nor is it really possible

If you can reconstruct the 4 quarters with the antlers and or sex organs, and all 4 quarters defiantly can from the same animal, I think you are fine.....having another bag full of recovered meat just shows the CO that you brought out everything

YMMV