PDA

View Full Version : Fire bans and firearm discharge

Lugg
08-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Hi, went camping with my son to West Harrison FSR Friday night. Saturday morning we did some plinking for a couple hours. Setup some small plastic bottles of different colours so I could call out a colour and he could get a bead on it to practice grouse hunting. This will be our first year hunting.

We we sat down for lunch with a disposable brickette bbq and had some chicken. A fire marshal (not sure that is the correct term, I forget what the side of the truck said) saw the smoke and pulled in as he drove past.

Nice and polite enough fellow, thought we had a fire at first but had no problem when he saw it was a bbq. Anyway he asked if we'd been shooting and I said yes, he informed us that we're not to shoot during a fire ban.

I asked this if that means there is no hunting with firearms during hunting season if a fire an is on. He seemed confused and did not have an answer. He asked if it was hunting season and I said that in this region snowshoes are legal right now and come September the real show starts. He said no shooting until Oct first when he thinks the ban will be lifted.

I I did some looking online and found this link.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions

It mentions the following as being banned in some cases. Which makes sense, of course.

the use of binary exploding targets (e.g., for rifle target practice)

My neighbor said that on Monday he went to Stave lake and some other guys up there told him that an officer explained this same thing to them the day before. Not sure what type of officer, I did not ask.

So so what's going here? Is this a real thing, no shooting during fire bans. Or some authorities being misinformed and passing that misinformation around?

If this is law I'm ok with that, I just had no idea and I don't recall it being covered my my pal or core courses.

I want to be informed. The fact that this guy seemed confused about how it would impact hunting season sort of threw me and has me asking questions.

Thanks.

rocksteady
08-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Absolutely untrue...

Fire at will, just not at exploding targets

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2016, 09:44 AM
in this region snowshoes are legal right now and come September the real show starts. He said no shooting until Oct first when he thinks the ban will be lifted.

HUH ? snowshoes ? LOL :wink: RJ

Iron Glove
08-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Read this as I was leaving for the gym, figured I'd run into one of the many lads from Forestry that work out there regularly. I chatted with the most senior lad and he is aware of the problems that have arisen in the Fraser Valley and said that Tannerite and such will get you in trouble but respectful firearms use should not although he said there have been occasions where CO's have told people "No shooting."
He said the situation is being monitored and MIGHT result in a shooting ban but her felt it wouldn't come to that. We had a long chat about fires being caused by firearms use and he cited a number of cases however all of them involved either things like Tannerite or other "explosive" targets, he knew of no examples where simply shooting a gun in the woods had causes a fire.
This lad is quite experienced, he was the subject a year or two ago of some media attention regarding a Forestry Officer being confronted at a campsite with a firearm in what could have been construed as a threat to him. He is a firearms owner BTW.
Anyway, take it for what it's worth.

ruger#1
08-28-2016, 11:33 AM
in this region snowshoes are legal right now and come September the real show starts. He said no shooting until Oct first when he thinks the ban will be lifted.

HUH ? snowshoes ? LOL :wink: RJ Yes Jim there are snowshoes at higher elevations here. Some of the COs have been working around here on the weekends and past midnight. Dealing with people that are ignoring the fire ban.

Dash
08-28-2016, 11:40 AM
I believe this is untrue and just a matter of uninformed people. Like others have said, the use of binary targets are prohibited but either than that you should be allowed to shoot to your hearts content. I monitor the firebans closely every year and it will specifically say shooting itself is banned if it comes to that. Right now it does not. With all that being said, if a C/O or fire marshal were to ask me to stop for that reason, I'm not too sure if I'd bother arguing about it.

rocksteady
08-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Snowshoe hates Jim...

there is is absolutely nothing in legislation, either Wildfire or Wildlife act which allows for banning shooting due to wildfire risk... Been an officer for 33 years..Trust me :)

rocksteady
08-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Btw, they are called "Fire Wardens"

Wentrot
08-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi, went camping with my son to West Harrison FSR Friday night. Saturday morning we did some plinking for a couple hours. Setup some small plastic bottles of different colours so I could call out a colour and he could get a bead on it to practice grouse hunting. This will be our first year hunting.

We we sat down for lunch with a disposable brickette bbq and had some chicken. A fire marshal (not sure that is the correct term, I forget what the side of the truck said) saw the smoke and pulled in as he drove past.

Nice and polite enough fellow, thought we had a fire at first but had no problem when he saw it was a bbq. Anyway he asked if we'd been shooting and I said yes, he informed us that we're not to shoot during a fire ban.

I asked this if that means there is no hunting with firearms during hunting season if a fire an is on. He seemed confused and did not have an answer. He asked if it was hunting season and said that in this region snowshoes are legal right now and come September the real show starts. He said no shooting until Oct first when he thinks the ban will be lifted.

I I did some looking online and found this link.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions

It mentions the following as being banned in some cases. Which makes sense, of course.

the use of binary exploding targets (e.g., for rifle target practice)

My neighbor said that on Monday he went to Stave lake and some other guys up there told him that an officer explained this same thing to them the day before. Not sure what type of officer, I did not ask.

So so what's going here? Is this a real thing, no shooting during fire bans. Or some authorities being misinformed and passing that misinformation around?

If this is law I'm ok with that, I just had no idea and I don't recall it being covered my my pal or core courses.

I want to be informed. The fact that this guy seemed confused about how it would impact hunting season sort of threw me and has me asking questions.

Thanks.

Older gentleman in a green ford?

Lugg
08-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks for for the info everyone.

Older gentleman in a green ford?

Yeah exactly was older, clean shaven. Very polite to us. Though I don't recall the make or if it was dark green. Blue. Or black.

whitlers
08-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Had a guy tell me a couple years ago that I wasn't allowed to shoot clays with my shotgun because the end could start a fire. I explained and even showed him that the wads are plastic..he wouldn't budge so I put the gun away respectfully.

Wentrot
08-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for for the info everyone.

Yeah exactly was older, clean shaven. Very polite to us. Though I don't recall the make or if it was dark green. Blue. Or black.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and ask where he's getting his info lol

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2016, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=ruger#1;1812137]Yes Jim there are snowshoes at higher elevations here. Some of the COs have been working around here on the weekends and past midnight. Dealing with people that are ignoring the fire ban.

LMFFAO ! tOO FUnnY bROTHER ! :wink: rJ

ROY-alty33
08-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Coastal Fire centre currently has the following restrictions in place:

The following activities and devices are also prohibited:tiki torches; fireworks, firecrackers, sky lanterns, burning barrels or burning cages of any size; binary exploding targets.

No mention of firearm restrictions and no forest access restrictions

dmaxtech
08-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Sounds like he's over zealous and ill informed.

Barracuda
08-28-2016, 09:36 PM
sometimes the people on the ground are instructed by higher ups to advise the public of something even if it isn't actually true.

Lugg
08-28-2016, 10:32 PM
I'll talk to him tomorrow and ask where he's getting his info lol

Lol too funny if it's the same fellow. He mentioned tiki torches as well,we don't use those though.

We we were in a silver jeep with a white home built "teardrop" trailer.

the attached picture is clearly not our camp site, we were at the weigh station to check weight.

digger dogger
08-29-2016, 07:25 AM
sometimes the people on the ground are instructed by higher ups to advise the public of something even if it isn't actually true.

BANG BANG!!!
Kyle is right, my neigbor, who hates guns & hunting, was trying to tell me the fire on the Bench RD, was started by target shooters.
Still haven't heard what started the fire.

DarekG
08-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Just curious where you actually find out if a fire ban is active or not? I've always relied on this site: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

What bans are you guys talking about?

rocksteady
08-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Just curious where you actually find out if a fire ban is active or not? I've always relied on this site: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

What bans are you guys talking about?

The campfire ban which is presently on in the Coastal Fire Centre.... See the campfire pic is red, not green, so some sort of a ban..

jassmine
08-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Good to know, panicked when I first read this.
Was just planning on going out in the bush somewhere Mission/Abbotsford way to get a feel for the my new rifle. Any suggestions?

digger dogger
08-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Ask bgblkdog, he'd go to mission range im sure.
He'd definitely show you everything properly & safely.
A bench and sandbags, are a nice touch to target shooting.

Ltbullken
08-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Ignorance is powerful. In the hands of those with authority, deadly...

Dash
08-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Fireban is lifted as of today so you won't need to worry about this again for this year :)

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Fireban is lifted as of today so you won't need to worry about this again for this year :)

especially if we get the predicted rain this upcoming week....I need to make a 10 foot high fire once per year.....

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html